The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 13, 2008, 03:49 PM   #1
2ndchance

1911 recoil springs, how to identify them

I have about 20 1911 recoil springs in a box. Is there a good way to determine what the pound weight they are? Some kind of compression test?

I think most are standard 18.5.lb, but I know that I have some that are as low as 12lb and as much as 21lb for +P loads.

I use to have them labeled in ziplock bags, but someone took them all out and put them all in a box... now I'm at a loss. Don't really want to lose $100 worth of springs, if you know what I mean...

Explaining the 2nd Amendment
Old September 13, 2008, 06:28 PM   #2
madmag

First, 16.0 lb. is standard for 5" 1911.

I have measured springs before, but not gun recoil springs. A rough way is to just define yourself how far you will compress each spring. (same for each spring). Then with a spring compression gage push each spring to this compression height and take the reading. You will have to have some sort of tube to keep lower part of the spring in place while measuring. This should give a rough idea of the spring weights.

This might not give you the exact factory number, but at least it should allow you to organize the springs by weight number.
Old September 13, 2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Cloudpeak

You could make something like this:

http://forums.1911forum.com/attachme...6&d=1219672389

Cloudpeak
Old September 13, 2008, 07:07 PM   #4
madmag

Quote:
You could make something like this:
Looks good. It is a way to use a pull type measure for compression testing. But, an actual compression gage is still a good way to go. Anyway, whatever is easiest.