The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2008, 12:58 PM   #1
2ndchance

Source for inexpensive cast bullets

I decided to start loading for my .45acp again and started shopping for cast bullets. I usually use 200gr SWC with single lube ring. I have two 1000rnd boxes left over from when I stopped reloading my .45acp. One box I paid $47.00 for 1000rnds. The other I paid $60 for 1000rnds. That was in 2005. Now, I'm pricing bullets and they're around $87 for 1000rnds!?! What the heck? Has the price of lead/tin skyrocketed in the past 3 years?

It's almost non-cost effective to load my .45acp at these prices. Time is money, baby!

Anyone have a good source for some cheap cast bullets?

Explaining the 2nd Amendment
Old September 13, 2008, 01:23 PM   #2
res45

http://www.missouribullet.com/shop/r...p?secondary=13
Old September 13, 2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Sevens

Last Thanksgiving weekend, I picked up a box of 500 for $35. That was nearly a year ago. That's a local caster, so the quality isn't up to the big casters but they look and perform decently for me.

Just this week a local gun store near me had 500 count boxes from a new local caster priced at $30 a box. I bought one, starting just with one because I want to see what kind of performance they give me. Looking over the quality just by appearance I'm sure that these will be good for plinking but I shouldn't kind myself in to expecting a whole lot. The quality just isn't there.
Quote:
Now, I'm pricing bullets and they're around $87 for 1000rnds!?! What the heck? Has the price of lead/tin skyrocketed in the past 3 years?
Umm, been pricing lead, copper, or loaded ammo in the last year and a half? Abso-freakin-lutley it has skyrocketed. For "reasons", I've heard a heap of them. From fuel costs to the fact that China has been buying up metals for their own uses to the typical reasoning that the war has been eating up other components. If you really haven't bought ANY bullets or primers or loaded ammo since 2005, then welcome to the year 2008 there Rip Van Winkle! It's a different world now.
Quote:
It's almost non-cost effective to load my .45acp at these prices. Time is money, baby!
Can't agree with that. Cheapest bulk (but new) .45 hardball from Winchester (the white box that everyone buys) sits anywhere from $14-$20 a box for 50 rounds most places you look. Figuring primers at $30/1000, figuring powder at $20/pound and figuring my brass for free, those new cheap bullets I just paid $30 for gives me a box of 50 for $5.15. That's cheap bullets. If I double the cost of my cast bullets then I'm at $8.15 per box of 50.

Where can you buy a box of .45 ammo for under $9?
Old September 24, 2008, 01:33 PM   #4
2ndchance

I think I found a winner!

Thanks for the replies. I was being a bit sarcastic about almost not being cost effective. You are right, hard to buy a box of 45acps for under $9.00. Components go up just as fast as loaded ammo (since they need components, too). So, the savings should be consistent.

I did find a good source, though. http://dardascastbullets.webs.com

Although I'm a fan of SWC, I figured that the SWCRN will feed better in both my target and combat guns. The price was comparable with prices I've seen in past years and the shipping was very reasonable. The bullets themselves are nice and hard, with good lube and are pretty consistent and accurate. This last part I am generalizing, because I've only shot 100rnd and it was for combat shooting (less than 15yds and rapid fire). Put 10 shots into a fist-size group. I think that's pretty consistent and accurate.

.45 RNFPBB - 200 Grain (2,000 Count) $146.50

.45 SWCBB - 200 Grain (2,000 Count) $146.50

Matt Dardas (probably the head honcho) is a responsive guy and is on top of things. I didn't even have any loaded when he emailed me to see if I was happy with my order and with the product. What a guy!

Old September 24, 2008, 04:32 PM   #5
dardascastbullets

You Betcha I'm On Top Of Things!

Hi 2ndchance!

I am glad that you are extremely satisfied with our bullets! You can rest assured that your bullets are ready for any competition - I expect our bullets to win competitions! We have several quality checks and processes in place to ensure that each and every box of our cast bullets is of the highest quality! Please do let us know how the rest of the bullets shoot for you - we always like to hear from our customers as to how well they perform.

With kind regards,
Old September 24, 2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Sturmgewehre

Hey Matt,

I've been buying cast bullets from Laser Cast for some 10+ years. After having surfed your website and checking out your prices and quality, I'm going to have to give your bullets a try.

Plus, I like supporting local (TFL) vendors.
Old September 24, 2008, 05:57 PM   #7
dardascastbullets

Hi Sturm!

Hi Sturm!

We will welcome your order and will treat it like we do with all other orders - with the utmost attention given to quality. Sounds like I keep repeating myself huh? Well, I am because that is our mission....to be the highest quality cast bullet supplier in the marketplace. And we have accomplished that goal for the past 16 years. We also expect our bullets to win competitions, whether it is bullseye, IDPA, or International centerfire. We don't make cheap bullets - we throw those back into the remelt pot. We only provide reasonably priced, very high quality cast bullets.

We will be watching our mailbox for your order Sturm!
Old September 24, 2008, 06:09 PM   #8
zxcvbob

I've been very happy with the bullets I bought from mastercastbullets.com, and the price was very reasonable. But I don't know if his price list is up-to-date or not.

Mostly I cast my own bullets from scrap lead, but I still buy bullets for small calibers and for hot magnum loads because I haven't perfected mine for those yet.
Old September 25, 2008, 09:14 PM   #9
clarence2005w

Dido on Dardas bullets good quality and accurate at a good price! Just placed my second order with Matt. Also he makes it easy to purchase by accepting paypal.
Old September 27, 2008, 01:13 AM   #10
yodarkritch

Cast Bullets

for the price of a 1000 bullet order from a professional outfit you can have the mold and Pot and cast yer own

I have access to wheel weights from several outlets not available to public and
I has accumulated several hundred pounds.

If you have access to wheel weights Cast yer own bullets.

I have even got smelted lead from ebay at $50 per 50 lb DELIVERED.

Casting my own permits me to make 7.62 x 39 ammo for about 11 cents a round and my .45 acp and 9mm for about half that

yodar
Old September 27, 2008, 05:24 AM   #11
Sport45

Quote:
Anyone have a good source for some cheap cast bullets?
Try Stonewall bullets. It would be hard to find a better price and his delivery times are fantastic. Mixed reviews about the quality. Some love 'em, some hate 'em. I bought some of his 260gr .45 SWC and they look good. Haven't loaded and shot any yet because I'm still working off stock I bought from Two Alpha a good while back.

Stonewall Bullet Co

Two Alpha Bullets

The Stonewall Bullets: The ones I got looked just like this picture from their site
Old October 9, 2008, 12:41 AM   #12
2ndchance

yodarkritch, you MUST be retired or have more time than money. I barely have time to reload and go to the range. Also, it's so darn messy. I know that I won't have the patience for it. LOL.

Quote:
for the price of a 1000 bullet order from a professional outfit you can have the mold and Pot and cast yer own

Old October 9, 2008, 01:06 AM   #13
2ndchance

Matt - Loving the bullets!

Matt. You asked me earlier about my opinion on the accuracy of your bullets. Well, I took a workmate with me to the the range and I gave some Pistol Combat lessons. I took out several 45s.

STI 4.15 Tactical
Colt Series 70
Springfield Unlimited Class
Essex Arms build for 1995 <-- a sorry excuse for a 1911

I shot over 400 rounds that day and had ZERO failures. I thought for sure that the Essex Arms would have had several FTF but it ate up the ammo like it was starving!

Part of my training was to remind the shooter "not be concerned with grouping your shots so tight. It's combat shooting. Rapid successions and a grouping of 8" or less is acceptable. This covers the center mass of most aggressors.

Well, I had trouble "not" grouping. Every one of my guns shot between 2" and 2.5" groups @ 15yds. The only time I had a larger group was when we were shooting on the move and doing reload drills. It made teaching class difficult, as I had trouble making my point!

So, I guess your bullets are pretty darn accurate. Almost "too" accurate. HA HA HA. http://dardascastbullets.webs.com

Old October 9, 2008, 03:38 AM   #14
NWPilgrim

I haven't tried them yet, but ordered a bunch of the 170 gr .40 at $46/1000.

Wideners Cast Bullets

I am still using up the last of my Oregon Trail LaserCast bullets from last year but they are about $70/500 now. About the same price as Rainier plated bullets.

I wish I could find a source of free wheel weights, but all metal around here is scarfed up for the high prices scrap brings.
Old October 9, 2008, 09:57 AM   #15
putteral

I will second Stonewall Bullets. Very reasonable prices and I find the quality good. Have ordered over 5k from him without any problems. Great guy to deal with.
Old October 9, 2008, 11:31 AM   #16
AlaskaMike

Quote:
yodarkritch, you MUST be retired or have more time than money. I barely have time to reload and go to the range. Also, it's so darn messy. I know that I won't have the patience for it. LOL.
2ndchance, it's not nearly the messy time consumer people make it out to be. The best part about it is that you're not dependent on anyone for your bullets. You get the mold for the design you want, and you never have to worry about being able to get that bullet type ever again. You want some more, you just cast 'em up.

When I first started shooting to any significant degree, somebody mentioned reloading to me--I thought I'd never mess with that because it'd take too much time and effort. Then I got into reloading and loved it, and somebody mentioned bullet casting to me. I thought I'd never mess with that because it'd take too much time and effort. Then I got into bullet casting and loved it. I hate to think what that somebody will mention next to me.

Mike
Old October 9, 2008, 11:39 AM   #17
crowbeaner

Try www.mastercast.net.
Old October 9, 2008, 01:04 PM   #18
Jimlakeside

There are a number of good sources for cast bullets.

http://www.cliffsgunsmithing.com/Cat_BC9.htm

http://www.carrollsweb.com/gunshop/h...t_bullets.html

http://www.keadbullets.com/ my favorite

http://www.grafs.com/metallic/555

http://www.twoalphabullets.com/Products.htm

http://www.bulletworks.com/ipsc_bullets.html
Old October 9, 2008, 04:18 PM   #19
ilbob

Local casters are usually cheaper than mail order. I got some some 148 gr DEWC last year for $18/500. They look fine and shoot better than I do. I bet they are more expensive this year. Should have bought more, but wanted to try them first.

A lot of times local clubs have group buys where you can get this kind of thing at really decent prices.
Old October 9, 2008, 09:02 PM   #20
dardascastbullets

Thanks 2ndchance!

Thanks 2ndchance for the excellent range report! I only expected excellent results and it sounds like you will have some great shooters in your covey!
Old October 9, 2008, 10:11 PM   #21
Bones507

Anyone have any opinions on Berrys lead bullets ? Ive been using them for a ew months in 45 colt and 158 gr 357 and they are all right.
Old October 11, 2008, 10:05 PM   #22
angus6

Went to order from Wideners but the shipping quote choked me , and they border MO.
Went with Two Alpha Bullets , very quick to ship and seem like great people to deal with, bullets appear great,
Just no way will I pay $37 to ship 2k priority or $24 ups when most guys will priority flat rate ship
Sport45 thanks for the link
Old October 11, 2008, 10:32 PM   #23
Sturmgewehre

Here's a review of one of TFL's own casters. Great prices and a great product.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=313486
Old October 12, 2008, 05:45 AM   #24
MASTERSPYDOG

+1 for missouri bullets

+1 for missouri bullets
i have ordered over 500 - .45ACP cast lead RNFP and loaded them over the next few days. They have proved good at the range also. they run $33>39 per 500.

Im ordering another 1500 rds on monday - so I really like their product

Scott
Old October 12, 2008, 10:13 AM   #25
Ole 5 hole group

For hardcast bullets at a good price that perform as expected, you should consider this company that is operated exclusively by an ole time cast bullet maker named Tommy. http://www.proshootpro.com/