The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old September 8, 2008, 09:43 PM   #1
Wolfolson

Mg 42

Can anyb lend a hand with some info?

i found a new in the box mg 42 at my friends grandpa's. if we can't find any paperwork on it (form 4) is there any way to get it registerd?

what can we do with it legally?
Old September 8, 2008, 11:21 PM   #2
PTK

Donate it to a museum if there's no paperwork, the BATFE has been known to make such exceptions.
Old September 8, 2008, 11:30 PM   #3
hoytinak

Edit: Nevermind...
Old September 8, 2008, 11:31 PM   #4
Stagger Lee

Let's see how many people are going to bite on this...
Old September 9, 2008, 12:52 AM   #5
David Hineline

$40,000

It would be around a $40,000 gun if transferable so don't go chopping it up lightly.

If you have a friendly police dept. you trust then have them run the serial number with the ATF, they will let them know if it is registered and to who, then the legal heir of the estate can get the gun transfered to them.

Once the ATF is contacted you must be prepared to get rid of the gun you found. Of course finding paperwork on your own would be the best route.
Old September 9, 2008, 12:24 PM   #6
SPUSCG

40k?

i saw these high up there, like well over 100k, there sought after heavily your lucky to have found one, id love an mg42
Old September 9, 2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Wolfolson

Mg 42

can a dealer buy it and sell it to milatary or Law enforcement?
Old September 9, 2008, 05:22 PM   #8
hoytinak

Quote:
can a dealer buy it and sell it to milatary or Law enforcement?
not legally
Old September 9, 2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Hkmp5sd

If it isn't registered, no one can buy it. As previously stated, ATF may let a museum have it. The best thing your friend can do is call ATF and let them run the numbers. It's not worth the hassles you/him will get into if you try to do anything else. It really sucks to lose a piece of history as well as a $100K+ gun, but 10 years in federal prison sucks too.
Old September 9, 2008, 05:57 PM   #10
ISC

I'd check the NFA registry for the serial numbers (it won't be there) then cut the reciever up as per ATF regs and sell the kit (minus the torch cut reciver pieces) for $600.

Or you could just sell it to the ATF informant who just sent you a PM and get an all expenses paid trip to a very secure vacation spot.

Alot of people would be tempted to hang on to it and never let it see the light of day, hoping for another amnesty like the one in '68 or a change in the registry laws when a Libertarian gets elected. Alot of people also believe in Santa Claus and 911 conspiracy theories.

I'm glad I'm not facing that choice, because I'd be tempted to have a new family heirloom in a secure cache.
Old September 9, 2008, 06:02 PM   #11
HKuser

It's difficult to believe that there are any "new in box" MG42s floating around. The Germans shot the bejesus out of them before they ever made it over here.
Old September 9, 2008, 06:39 PM   #12
aroundlsu

Just call the ATF NFA customer service line. Tell them you want to check on a Form 4. Give them your serial number. If they ask for your name, it's in there. Otherwise they'll say nothing exists for that number. If there is nothing in there under that number they don't ask for your name. If it's not in there you need to throw it in the bottom of a river.
Old September 9, 2008, 06:45 PM   #13
Stagger Lee

For the reco4rd, MG42's aren't "worth $100k". Not even if it's personally autographed by Erwin Rommel. $40K is about top end for the things. It could be donated to a museum for one hell of a tax deduction. The curator at the Springfield Armory National Firearms Museum or the Smithsonian would know more about such things.
Old September 9, 2008, 06:53 PM   #14
Hkmp5sd

A NIB mint MG-42......I bet it would hit 100K at an auction.
Old September 9, 2008, 06:58 PM   #15
ISC

Quote:
If it's not in there you need to throw it in the bottom of a river.
I'm telling you that there is nothing illegal about a MG42 kit if it has been demilled according to BATF guidelines, and they are worth quite a bit of money. Semiauto recievers are available if you wanted to build it as a functioning LEGAL gun also.
Old September 9, 2008, 07:25 PM   #16
Crosshair

STFU and hide it VERY well if you don't want to destroy a piece of history. This is not the recommended method, but many people do do this.

There are plenty of people hiding FA guns that they would love to make legal if they could.
Old September 9, 2008, 07:27 PM   #17
Wildalaska

Don't feed the troll

WildwhatafarceAlaska ™
Old September 9, 2008, 07:32 PM   #18
hoytinak

You could save it for a local gun buy back program then you might get a $50 coupon or something for it....those are supposed to be no questions asked right?
Old September 10, 2008, 02:31 PM   #19
VUPDblue

I'm leaning toward agreeing with Wildalaska, but for arguement's sake I'll ask if your friend's grandfather is still alive? If not, is the grandmother still living? Surely someone in the family will know if it was registered as a bringback or during the amnesty. Try asking some of the close family members before you ask the feds. If you don't get an answer, you can follow the advise of some of the other posters and ask BATFE to look up the serial # in the registry. If it turns out that the MG is not registered, I'd contact an attorney versed in NFA regulation and firearm law in general. Whatever you do, PLEASE do not destroy the gun! Even if it is not legal, there are proper channels to go through that would not lead to the destruction of that kind of historical artifact.
Old September 10, 2008, 07:03 PM   #20
Wolfolson

mg 42

Thanks for the info. i had non idea were to start to ask questions.

I did not relize that this is such a rare find. No one in their family has any intrest in it. i was hope to aqiure it if it is legal.
Old September 10, 2008, 07:18 PM   #21
James K
Staff

If it is not registered, you can't legally cut it up. You can't legally "demil" it. You can't legally dump it in a lake. You can't make a kit out of it, because it is illegal for you to have it in the first place.

The only thing you can legally do is to surrender it to the police or BATFE. They can, at their option, transfer it to a museum, but you can't tell them to do that.

In theory, you can abandon (surrender) it to a government museum, and some people claim to have done so. But you could just as easily be arrested trying.

I would call an attorney and have him set up a meeting with BATFE to abandon the gun. The reason for using an attorney is that they are less likely to hassle you if it is all taken care of in the presence of your attorney.

So why can't you just cut it up or dump it? Because possession is a felony and doing that would be destroying evidence of a felony, which is a felony itself.

Some people say to remove the parts and surrender just the receiver. OK, if BATFE agrees but if you are an innocent party trying to comply with the law in a reasonable time, how would you explain taking a week or so to dismantle the gun?

Jim
Old September 10, 2008, 07:22 PM   #22
Wolfolson

mg 42

If thet do not find the form 4 do not mess with it.
Old September 10, 2008, 08:14 PM   #23
ISC

after the receiver is destroyed it's just parts. The same parts any 12 year old you can buy through the mail if he saves his paper route and grass cutting money. Parts are not controlled unless there is some evidence of intent to manufacture.

I have a AK47 parts kit that I bought a while back. If I had an AKM-47 and decided later that I was taking too much of a chance by owning it and cut up the receiver, there'd be no difference between the two kits.
Old September 10, 2008, 09:46 PM   #24
aroundlsu

The serial number and a thirty second call to (304) 616-4500 from a pay phone would answer A LOT of questions. They will either ask for your name or say "No record for that number". I've done it dozens of times while waiting for Form 4s to get into the system. It's really no big deal. If they ask for your name you can just make one up and they'll say "I don't have that weapon under that name at this time." That means they have it under someone elses name (probably your grandfather) and you're in business.

FWIW, the ATF guidebook says to contact them to arrange for disposal of an illegal weapon.

Many rare machine guns were registered during the amnesty period. There is as good of a chance it was registered as it wasn't. SAR magazine has an awesome belt fed that was registered during the amnesty in this months issue.
Old September 11, 2008, 12:54 PM   #25
David Hineline

When was the last time anyone saw a payphone?
Closed Thread