The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 2, 2008, 03:47 PM   #1
zeeshan

best 1911 handgun in the world ?

please mention only one model alongwith its manufacturer.
please consider the following traits only(not the price) in your analysis according to priority 1 to 5

1. accuracy
2. reliability
3. durability
4. concealed carry ease
5. safety features
Old September 2, 2008, 03:48 PM   #2
Saab1911

That would be a Wilson Combat Supergrade.
22lr: Ruger Mk III/45
Old September 2, 2008, 03:59 PM   #3
rellascout

No right answer to this question. There are way too many variables 99% of which are subjective. Most production 1911 at the $900 level are mechanically superior to the shooter.

So the only real answer is the one you own and you shoot best.
Old September 2, 2008, 04:21 PM   #4
cjw3cma

OP - you may want to include a price range as there are (many) custom manufacturers whose products meet with your criteria but may be outside of your intended budget.

My 1911 was built using middle of the road components that were matched & lapped to fit / fluffed & buffed / adjusted to give me a less than 4 lb. trigger and POA accuracy of less than 3" at 25 yds.

And my out of pocket expense was less than that of many known boxed guns. My time was not counted towards the final assembled cost.
Old September 2, 2008, 04:35 PM   #5
zeeshan

please mention your gun

Quote:
OP - you may want to include a price range as there are (many) custom manufacturers whose products meet with your criteria but may be outside of your intended budget.

My 1911 was built using middle of the road components that were matched & lapped to fit / fluffed & buffed / adjusted to give me a less than 4 lb. trigger and POA accuracy of less than 3" at 25 yds.

And my out of pocket expense was less than that of many known boxed guns. My time was not counted towards the final assembled cost

please mention your guns manufacturer, basic model and specs
Old September 2, 2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Playboypenguin

I agree...it is too vague a question with too much subjectivity involved. A $2500 is often not a better gun than a $900 gun. It will not out shoot the $900 gun, it will not outlast it, and it is not better made...it is just prettier and has more add ons.
Old September 2, 2008, 04:40 PM   #7
zeeshan

Quote:
I agree...it is too vague a question with too much subjectivity involved. A $2500 is often not a better gun than a $900 gun
thatswhy please not consider the price and just the handgun
Old September 2, 2008, 04:54 PM   #8
cschwanz

there is no way to say what 1911 is best. too many variables that mean something different to too many people. its like asking what is the best car in the world?
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old September 2, 2008, 04:57 PM   #9
zeeshan

Quote:
there is no way to say what 1911 is best. too many variables that mean something different to too many people. its like asking what is the best car in the world?
just reply according to your experience please.
Old September 2, 2008, 04:58 PM   #10
Playboypenguin

Quote:
just reply according to your experience please.
If we do that we are not answering which is best...we are simply stating which we feel is our favorite.

I personally feel that my Colt Commander is easily as good as any 1911 and I feel my Dan Wesson CBOB is on par with any custom. That does not make them the best though.
Old September 2, 2008, 05:00 PM   #11
zeeshan

Quote:
If we do that we are not answering which is best...we are simply stating which we feel is our favorite
yes thats the whole point .
so please tell me your favorite
Old September 2, 2008, 05:26 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

You're saying there are only 6 considerations:

2. accuracy
3. reliability
4. durability
5. concealed carry ease
6. safety features

So there aren't "too many variables" there are only six. There are, however, many MANY opinions about those six variables.
None of which I am qualified to address.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old September 2, 2008, 05:31 PM   #13
RsqVet

1. Dave Lack / D+L sports 1911 professonal grade with all of the reliability / sand / mud cut options.

Second --- Ed Brown SF.

Just my opinion.
Old September 2, 2008, 05:39 PM   #14
Oldjarhead

Colt Commander 1911

Taking in everything into account, and I think a 1911's total history, I think the record of the Colt Commander is it. As a Texan, I can tell you for concealability, realiability and accuracy, this model was a favorite of the Texas Rangers for decades. It still is today in some Ranger Units. If I had only one handgun on a deserted island left to fight, when western civilization melts down, I want a Colt Commander 1911. Lightweight or all stainless are both good. I personally like the all stainless. You can buy more expensive guns, but look at what Americans have counted on for 97 years-a trusty Colt.
Old September 2, 2008, 05:40 PM   #15
cjw3cma

Quote:

And my out of pocket expense was less than that of many known boxed guns. My time was not counted towards the final assembled cost

please mention your guns manufacturer, basic model and specs

My personal 1911 started out as a SMI (the same company that makes KAHR Arms parts) frame and slide that were lapped & fitted together. The frame assembly was then bead blasted. The barrel and bushing were then fitted to the slide. All internals were fitted and then buffed and polished before assembly. Millet adjustable rear sight with white outline and an orange dot on the front sight. A Novak 7 rd. mag. and checkered diamond grips finished it off.
Old September 2, 2008, 05:42 PM   #16
darkgael

best 1911 handgun in the world ?

"best 1911 handgun in the world ?"
Pardon me but, with all due respect,.....AAARgh.
You have handicapped yourself and any response by the nature of the question. To answer it correctly, I, and anyone else responding, would have to have shot every type of 1911 "in the world". Otherwise, how would we know?
If you want to know what is the most accurate, reliable, etc. 1911 that I have ever fired, I can tell you that.
It is a Colt Gold Cup, series 80. I bought it and sent it to a fine gunsmith (George Madore) who specialized in accurizing pistols for Bullseye match shooting. He installed a match bushing, swaged the rails, bobbed the hammer, rerouted the firing pin block linkage so that it was picked up by the grip safety, as opposed to the trigger, "did the trigger" so that there is no creep and it breaks at 3.5lbs. He installed a full-length rib so that I could slide mount a red dot scope. He returned it with a test target that showed ten shots in the X-ring of the B-6 50 yard precision target. That group was less than two inches.
You don't want prices but that was all done, gun included for less than $1300.
Some years ago, of course.
I don't carry it. If I wanted to, I'd install the Eliason sights; it would be no more difficult, and no easier to conceal than any full sized auto. Standard 1911 safeties.
The gun has seen extensive use; I stopped keeping records at 30K rounds. I can count the number of failures on the fingers of one hand.
Are there better guns? Maybe, I have not seen them all.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; September 2, 2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old September 2, 2008, 06:13 PM   #17
Smaug

I agree with rellascout. If you're going to post something like this, at least pick your top 5 or 10 candidates and make a poll, so you can at least get some useful subjective data out of us.
Old September 2, 2008, 06:37 PM   #18
zippy13

Since I don't consider concealed carry ease when evaluating pistols for my own use, am I excused from this jury?
Old September 2, 2008, 06:57 PM   #19
Rangegod

This question has already been answered, at great tax payer expense I might add:

Answer = SA PRO

JAC
Old September 2, 2008, 08:00 PM   #20
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
No right answer to this question. There are way too many variables 99% of which are subjective. Most production 1911 at the $900 level are mechanically superior to the shooter.
Concur. At this point, I'll belly up and say my Springfield TRP is the best 1911 around. It's accurate, durable, reliable, easy to conceal and has an ambi safety and a grip safety.

Doesn't sound like any other quality 1911 does it?

Once you get around 1K, 1911's seem to be pretty close in function. Fit increases with price but the rest remains more or less constant.
Old September 2, 2008, 08:08 PM   #21
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Once you get around 1K, 1911's seem to be pretty close in function. Fit increases with price but the rest remains more or less constant.
I would only change that by saying I do not feel you need to go that high. Once you get into the $750 range it starts to be all subjective.
Old September 2, 2008, 08:10 PM   #22
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I would only change that by saying I do not feel you need to go that high. Once you get into the $750 range it starts to be all subjective.
As many 1911's as you have, I'll bow to your opinion on this one.... $750 it is!
Old September 2, 2008, 08:19 PM   #23
ImprezaSTI

Wilson CQB.
Out of all the high end 1911's I've shot, this is the best. It was the only one according to an owner of a CQB, Les Baer TRS, Springfield Pro that was 100% reliable out of the box and never needed a break-in number of rounds before everything went smoothly. And the trigger was absolutely amazing on that thing. The trigger broke like glass as they say and I was shooting out the bullseye from 10yds off-hand. And I'm not a fan of ambi safetys since I only shoot right handed and I think it helps with concealed carry.
Old September 2, 2008, 08:24 PM   #24
oldcspsarge

Based on the supplied criteria :

Les Baer Thunder Ranch......true to Clint Smiths standard for function, reliability, performance, conceals well due to thin grips and night sights finish the pistol for the mission.

Mine has been carried 24/7 for 7+ years 30K+ rds...not a single FTF/FTE
Old September 2, 2008, 08:36 PM   #25
tipoc

The one that fits me. That is set up as I like it, that is reliable and that is as accurate as I need.

tipoc