The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2008, 03:23 PM   #1
Brutus

45LC leading problems in Mountain guns

I've been using Lazercast 255gr. RNFPBB bullets in my 625 Mountain gun and have been getting excessive leading with a standard load of 8gr. of Unique.
I've noticed in the Midway catolog a listing for some hard cast SWC's from Hunter supply. Anyone have any experience with these? I like to use Cast Performance 265gr. gas checks to avoid this problem but they are to expensive for casual target practice.
Old August 31, 2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Several factors cause leading in revolvers that have nothing to do with the casting alloy. Keep in mind that Elmer Keith develooped the .44 magnum using both 3.3% tin and 5% tin, with the balance lead. No antimony. Not terribly hard. At pistol velocities it generally doesn't take a lot of hardness if the gun is in good shape for cast bullets.

Revolvers commonly have two issues that need to be corrected for cast and swaged bullets to shoot without leading excessively. The cylinder chamber throats need to be at least half a thousandth to two thousandths larger than the bore groove diameter. The easiest way to ensure that is to take the standard revolver smith's accurizing step of getting the chambers reamed to SAAMI maximum. You can take the cylinder off and send to to cylindersmith.com and they will do it for under $40.

The other common problem is a constriction in the bore where it screws into the frame. You need to slug the bore to find out if you have this? That means putting a pure lead sinker or bullet into the oiled bore at the muzzle and slowly pushing it through to the breech end with a piece of brass rod (Lowes or Home Depot usually has these). If you have the constriction, you will feel the added drag pushing it past the frame. The cure is either hand lapping or fire lapping. If you are going to try fire lapping, do it before sending the cylinder out so it doesn't affect that work. Try either the Beartooth Bullets firelapping kit or the NECO kit. The Wheeler kit sold at Midway should be avoided, IMHO.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old August 31, 2008, 05:40 PM   #3
CraigC

I found the Hunters Supply 275gr WFN to be superbly accurate in my Colt New Frontier over an undisclosed charge of 2400. I have some of their 315gr cast bullets for the .405 but haven't spent much time with them. Now that they're more readily available, I should probably start using them up.