The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 26, 2008, 06:38 PM   #1
MatchGrade

Buying a Miltech M1 Garand

I know it's expensive. I know I can buy one from the CMP. I want a good shooter to give to my Dad (retired Army) and I don't want to rely on luck to get one. I had a long talk with the owner and some gunsmiths in southern california and I came away with a good impression of the company and it's work. I'll keep you posted as to what happens.
Old August 26, 2008, 09:51 PM   #2
P5 Guy

Do not do it!

You can get a Correct Grade from the CMP at half the price. It will be a fine shooter and increase in value. The MilTech will only be a money losing investment and won't shoot any better than the CMP M1.
I have a Correct Grade and for $950 plus shipping to the front door of your house you will not be disappointed.
Old August 26, 2008, 10:31 PM   #3
dakuda

At the very least, getting a service grade from the CMP should get you a good shooter. Mine came in great shape (no cosmo, looks almost brand new) and a new stock, some need a thorough cleaning. I was not worried about a collector, I wanted one for shooting.

Heck, for the $620ish that I spent, I would have no problem with a lot of cleaning for a rifle when compared to the $1500 that Miltech wants.
Old August 26, 2008, 10:43 PM   #4
Darren007

Miltech=Mitchells Mausers= RAW DEAL:barf::barf:

I wouldnt touch anything from either of those two companys. And like the first poster who replied stated....youll lose money in the long run with a gun that will shoot no better than a CMP Garand or a Russian capture Mauser K98.
Old August 26, 2008, 10:50 PM   #5
Davis

Well, if its a presentation piece and not intended to be a collector, I don't see where the Miltec option would be bad, except for cost. Me, I don't want perfection, but having said that, both my CMP Garands look great (they are both service grade). If you were to buy a CMP Garand and have the metal refinished and replace the wood with new stuff, you probably would still come out cheaper.

But, if it's for dear old dad and you have the dough, then have at it. Some things do weigh more importantly than collector's value.

Davis
Old August 27, 2008, 01:14 AM   #6
10-96

Is Fulton Armory out of the question?

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old August 27, 2008, 01:34 AM   #7
RockyMtnTactical

The Garands from CMP are nice, buy two.