The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2008, 08:42 PM   #1
EasyE

Beginner to reloading

If a man was to want to get into the reloading deal would one of the RCBS kits be the way to go to get started? Mainly going to be reloading rifle ammo to hunt with, no pistol.
Old August 19, 2008, 08:50 PM   #2
impactco

Depending on your budget, you cannot go wrong with the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit except it doesn't include all the basics. This one is a little more money but essentially has everything you need except for dies, a caliper & components:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23
Old August 19, 2008, 08:55 PM   #3
EasyE

This is the one I was looking at,.....

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...599&t=11082005
Old August 19, 2008, 08:58 PM   #4
BigJakeJ1s

The RCBS reloading kit is one way to get started. It includes almost everything but dies and consumables, and is good quality equipment.

Depending on how sure you are about reloading, and staying with it, you might also consider one of the Lee kits. Sure, you'll probably end up replacing some/most of the equipment eventually, but it is a lot less $$ to start out with, and I'd bet there will also be a some of the stuff from the RCBS kit you would want to replace eventually.

There is not a single company that has best of class tools in every category. Most people end up picking tools and accessories from several different companies. But until you gain some experience reloading, with whatever kind of tools you start with, it is difficult to know what features you value most in reloading equipment.

Food for thought...

Andy
Old August 19, 2008, 09:24 PM   #5
PCJim

Easy, the RCBS kit looks like a good entry kit. I started with a RCBS single stage back in the early '80s and still have it as well as others. Welcome to the world of reloading. Do a lot of reading on the process, and learn what to watch for.
Old August 20, 2008, 05:34 PM   #6
Zombie Steve

I'm about to hit a year of rolling my own, so I'm no expert, but I got the RCBS Rockchucker Master kit, and I couldn't be happier with it.
Old August 20, 2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Lunicy

My advice would be to start with a cheap kit. (I started with a Lee single stage) As you get better and more accustomed to your new hobby, you will upgrade. I upgraded to a Dillon 650. I have 2. I still use an RCBS Single stage too. Plus I have a MEC for shotgun shells. Just like any hobby, you will upgrade. Besides, for some reason you don't like re-loading, (as if that would ever be possible) you r initial investment will be small.
Old August 20, 2008, 07:01 PM   #8
CrustyFN

Quote:
If a man was to want to get into the reloading deal would one of the RCBS kits be the way to go to get started? Mainly going to be reloading rifle ammo to hunt with, no pistol.
Yes, if you are going to be loading rifle a single stage press is a great way to start. The RCBS kit is a good one but Lee also offers a good kit for quite a bit less.
Rusty
Old August 20, 2008, 07:57 PM   #9
remshooter

Quote:
You will be able to hand that reloading set up to your grandkids someday and they will not wear it out.
Old August 20, 2008, 08:05 PM   #10
bill k

Thats what I use. Correct if I'm wrong but mine included a rcbs trimmer and a frankford caliper.
Old August 22, 2008, 09:39 AM   #11
1911_freak

lee turret or breach loader challenger kit
Old August 24, 2008, 03:04 AM   #12
azsixshooter

I just bought the RCBS Supreme Master Reloading Kit today. I also got a Lyman tumbler, Lyman dial calipers, RCBS broken case extractor, RCBS primer pocket brush, Lyman case trimmer, and of course the appropriate RCBS die set and shell holder for my caliber.

A few months ago I bought "The ABC's of Reloading" and have since read that twice and bought Noslers Reloading Manual and Lyman's Reloading Manual. The RCBS kit came with the Speer Guide and I'll eventually read that too. Per the sticky for beginners at the top of this forum I'll be picking up "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" as well.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old August 24, 2008, 07:52 AM   #13
wncchester

"Depending on how sure you are about reloading, and staying with it, you might also consider one of the Lee kits."

Depending on what volume you actually load AND the cartridges (sizing big magnum cases can put a lot of pressure on a press), you may never want to change over from the Lee Challanger press. A lot of people start and stop right there! And you will NEVER wear it out either.

But, if you later want more power, Lee's Classic Cast (steel) press is perhaps the best conventional press on the market today. You would still have plenty of special uses for keeping the Challanger on your bench too so it will never be a waste of money.

Some folks think only a steel or iron are the only way to go. I disagree. Aluminum alloys work fine in the RCBS Partner and Special-5, Hornady's LnL and the AP model too, as well as Lee's Reloader and Challanger presses. If a press body breaks it's because of a flaw in the casting and/or gross missuse, not the metal it's made of. Some people can break an anvil with a spoon!

In over fourty years of loading, I've never even heard of, much less seen, any press of any kind by any maker wearing out. They will ALL go to our grandchildren unless we choose to scrap them!
Old August 24, 2008, 08:34 AM   #14
CraigC

I started about ten years ago with an RCBS Turret press kit and have yet to find any fault with it. Its production will fall somewhere between a single stage press and a progressive. It has the simplicity of a single stage so it's good for learning on. It's intended that you still perform each operation in batches like a single stage but once adjusted, you don't have to keep fooling with dies. Only to adjust the seater plug when you change bullet designs. The turret heads are six hole so I keep several of them with two sets of dies setup in each head. Changing from resizing to expanding and seating requires only turning the turret head. Changing heads only requires removing one bolt. I'm really happy with mine but intend to add a Dillon 650 to the bench for greater volume with my most-used loads.
Old August 24, 2008, 09:55 AM   #15
Smoke & Recoil

I suggest starting small to see if it is a hobby that you will enjoy before you go nuts with all of the pretty things. Lee brand has come along way and nice prices. The Lee Challenger kit is a nice starter and you can always add new toys from there.
Old August 27, 2008, 09:36 PM   #16
KC5TPA

If you are gonna go, GO BIG, get a Dillon! 550B or XL650
Lifetime "No B.S." warranty!
"When guns are outlawed, call me an outlaw!" ©2008 Me
Old August 27, 2008, 09:50 PM   #17
BigJakeJ1s

Particularly since the OP wants to reload rifle ammo for hunting, and not any pistol ammo, which likely means relatively low volume, I would NOT recommend starting with a progressive press, Dillon or any other brand.

Andy
Old August 28, 2008, 12:49 PM   #18
sandro.1971

First thing I bougt was the RCBS Supreme Master Reloading Kit.

But I didn't like the podwer measure and decided to re-sell it and got a Redding 3BR in its place. The RCBS uniflow that come with the kit doesn't have the baffle and the micrometer.

I made some little modification to the RCBS 5-0-5 scale and now it's fine. If I should start from the beginning I would buy a 10-10 scale.

I then got Redding dies, Redding podwer trickler, RCBS primer pocket brush, RCBS check weights, Forster case trimmer and RCBS shellholders.

Do not buy Redding shellholders with RCBS presses or hand priming tools because they don't match.

If I should start from the beginning I wouldn't buy the kit but just the RCBS items that I like.

I also NOT recommend starting with a progressive press. There are just too many task involved in the reloading process that you can fully understand only
doing them one by one.
Old August 28, 2008, 02:03 PM   #19
indiandave

What Sandro 1971 said.Don't start out with somethig cheap just to save money. The rcbs press will last a lifetime. Don't skimp on scales, dies, etc. buy quality and you will pass them on to your kids.
Old August 30, 2008, 07:16 AM   #20
TheNatureBoy

EasyE. I'm new to reloading too. I recently purchased from Ebay a Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit. The kit includes:

Breech Lock Challenger Press
3 quick change bushings
Powder Measure
Scale
Funnel
Case Preparation Tool
Cutter
Lock Stud
Case Length Gauge (I think)
Chamfer
Small and Large Primer pocked cleaning tool
Your choice of dies (free) also included.

Also purchased a Lyman tumbler from Midway. Looking forward to getting started.
Old August 30, 2008, 10:31 AM   #21
SST

If you are serious about getting into reloading, forget about starting out cheap and upgrading later unless you have extra money to burn. Save the cost of the cheap reloading kit right off the bat and get the RCBS kit. This is what I would recommend.

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit-
Has most of what you will need

Other goodies to pick up:

Powder Trickler
Extra Loading Blocks
Lee Auto Prime
Calipers
Micrometer
K&M Flash Hole Deburring Tool
Primer Pocket Cleaning Tool
Primer Pocket Uniforming Tool
Universal Decapping Die
Universal Shell Holder Set
Stuck Case Remover
Imperial Sizing Die Wax (forget about using the case lube comes with the kit)
Vibratory Tumbler
Eventual Upgrade to Electronic Scales and Dispenser
http://angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom
Old August 30, 2008, 12:23 PM   #22
FM12

RCBS ads used to say "Might as well start out with what you're going to end up with." You'd be hard pressed to do any better. There are less expensive kits, but you pay your money and take your choice.
Old August 30, 2008, 04:07 PM   #23
Sevens

Remember something as you search for your FIRST reloading tools:

Ever walked in to an auto parts store and asked a bunch of guys, "Which is better, Ford or Chevy?" Reloading tools are very much like that.

There's a whole helluva lot of brand warfare among handloaders. Some equipment is good, some is better, but you'd be hard pressed to name "the BEST" and have everyone agree with it. I don't think there is any shame in going any way you choose. Spend a heap on high priced stuff and you might be happy. Spend less on lower priced stuff, it may work just fine for you.
Old August 30, 2008, 04:16 PM   #24
sandro.1971

well it's not just a matter of who make tools that make a better job or tools that last longer.

Choice is not just among different brands but even among different models of the same brands.

There are some details in tools that make your job easier and make you save a lot of time.
Old August 30, 2008, 10:22 PM   #25
BigJakeJ1s

Sandro.1971 said it well.

RCBS' kit does not include their universal hand primer (square tray) that is much better than the one in the kit.

They also don't offer the quick change version of the Uniflow PM in the kit either.

Andy