The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 18, 2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Dearhunter61

Help! Weatherby Mark XXII Auto

I own a Weatherby Mark XXII 22 Auto and until 5 minutes ago thought it only came in the Auto. Then I was looking for additional info and found that there is also a Weatherby Mark XXII in bolt action?

Can someone please explain the difference in value/performance etc?

What is a realistic expectation where 50 yard groups are concerned with the Mark XXII Auto?

Thanks,
Old August 18, 2008, 09:21 PM   #2
RonJ

Dearhunter,
In your .22 ammo thread I assumed you were talking about the new bolt action rifle. You apparently have the semi auto which has been discontinued for some time.
They are two entirely different animals. The autos were made in Italy and some in Japan. They have a good reputation for reliability and accuracy and according to prices I've seen lately they hold their value well.
The new Mark XXII is built with a German Anschutz 64 match action and barrel. With the right ammo I'd expect it to outshoot your semi auto. The groups you're getting with your gun are not out lf line but as was often repeated in the other thread, try lots of different ammo to see if some will shoot tighter.
The prices I've seen lately on the semi auto seem to be in the $600.00/$700.00 range if the gun is in excellent condition.
The new bolt action is around $800.00.
Best luck.
Old August 18, 2008, 10:00 PM   #3
Dearhunter61

Thanks RonJ,

That is what I thought and the reason I started another thread. I just want to know from someone who owns a Mark XXII Auto what the performance expectation is so I will know what is exceptable from my rifle.

I have seen a number of these at the Cabella's in Ft Worth and they are all selling between $699 and $799 depending on the conditioin. I realize I have a pretty nice gun but just want to know what to expect in performance.

Thanks for all the info you have provided. I did order some different ammo last night and hopefully it will come in this week so I can try it out this coming weekend.

Thanks,
Old September 18, 2008, 09:14 PM   #4
KingdomCome

Mark Xxii

Hello, I'm pretty new to this forum and am getting back into fire arms after too many years of not having time for it.

About 14 years ago my father in-law passed and left me a couple of firearms among them was this neat looking .22 semi auto. It's a Weatherby MARK XXII Japanese made model. I used to shoot .22LR as a kid in a rifle club when I lived on a Marine Corps base (my father was a 20+ year veteran). Well, I inheirited this WBY .22 and didn't pay it much attention and it actually has been sitting in closets all of the time I've owned it. I never shot it. At the time I was more into my hand guns. Now I have a young son and was thinking of giving the WBY some use.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but any more info on this rifle would be great.
Old September 18, 2008, 10:23 PM   #5
22-rimfire

I have both. The semi-auto is very accurate. I also have the TC Lynx (predacessor to the current R-55) and it shoots very good. Yes it does better than 0.5" groups at 50 yds. My bolt action is a bit more accurate. But it IS a bolt action and has a Anschutz barrel and action on it. Get both.
Old January 2, 2011, 01:07 PM   #6
klausk

Where can I get clips for a Weatherby mk22 semi auto made in Italy?
Thanks