The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 19, 2000, 12:42 PM   #1
Mal H
Staff

If you are like the vast majority of the members you log into TFL several times daily, so it would help the server problem if you set your "Default Topic View" setting to "Show topics from last day", if you haven't already done so. Just opening a forum is a form of search, so this could easily cut the amount of data requested by a good percentage.

Rich - you might consider making this the default instead of the current setting of 2 or 5 days, I have forgotten what it is, but I don't think it was 1 day.
Old January 19, 2000, 04:48 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Mal H,

GREAT idea man. I have my default set to 5 days and just changed it to 2. I think that the info is stored on your computer as a cookie and can be adjusted as each user sees fit. Dump your TFL cookies, access http://www.thefiringline.com through the front door and set your default to 1 or 2 days. It should stay the way you set it.

Please correct me if I am wrong. It happened once before, so it could happen agin.
Old January 19, 2000, 09:36 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Mal-
Thanks much for a great suggestion. I've changed it to a 2 day default.

BM-
You're correct. Members may change this to 1 day or more by clicking on the "Preferences" tab.

Members-
By all means, set the preferences to your own liking. But know you have a choice.
Rich
Old January 20, 2000, 10:44 PM   #4
Bud Helms
Staff

Absolootly ... I set mine for 1 day. 'Sure loads faster.
Old January 25, 2000, 12:15 AM   #5
Greg L

Is there a way to set the "view topics" setting per forum. There are a few that I'm into several times a day, but there are others that I either only have a slight interest in or are lightly posted in that I check into every few days (if that). If we could set the defaults somewhere (preference screen?) it would help. Right now I had this set to 75 days (never checked in here before) while clicking on Legal on another screen. Legal is still cranking away while I'm typing (and fully expect it to still be doing so when I'm done). There I only needed one day, but because I had already opened this on 75, it is looking for 75 there. (Minor rant, really love the site though)
Old January 25, 2000, 12:25 AM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Nope, the setting you select as a preference is used for all forums. You can't set it differently for each forum.

If you enter most of your favorite forums every day, then set it for 1 day. Then set it individually within the forum whenever you enter the other forums that you visit less frequently.

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited January 25, 2000).]
Old January 25, 2000, 12:45 AM   #7
Greg L

Thanks for the quick reply Mal. I guess I just was grumpy because I had a couple of windows open and got bit in the a$$ by chosing a popular forum. When chosing a lightly traveled one from now on I will do it solo. Thanks again. Greg
Old January 25, 2000, 03:05 AM   #8
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

When you first acess a forum (example: General) under 'New Topic' there should be a bar that has the 'show topics from last x days.

It won't override the preference you set, but it'll help during each session.

LawDog

[This message has been edited by LawDog (edited January 25, 2000).]