The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 17, 2008, 07:37 PM   #1
Danzig

1938 Turkish Mauser and ammo...

A while back I purchased a mauser from auctionarms.com. Unfortunately what I got is pretty bad. It was caked with cosmoline but the preservation job was horrible. The bore is worn and pitted. The exterior of the rifle is pretty ugly. The extractor has a broken claw. All in all I'd say that it's pretty bad. Fortunately I didn't pay much.

When I bought it I also separately purchased 1400 rounds of ammo for it. Old milsurp stuff. Nasty corrosive stuff..but it was only about $90. Similar ammo is going for about 4 times that right now!! I am glad that I bought it when I did.

I have taken the mauser out shooting once. (it is shootable and seems to be decently reliable considering the condition) My buddy brought his mauser out too. He brought out come expensive commercial ammo and I brought my surplus stuff.

Initially I loaded up some of his ammo. But when I chambered the first round and squeezed the trigger, nothing. Same with the second and all subsequent rounds. The firing pin was not striking the primers. I used my ammo and the rifle fired fine. We compared ammo and noticed that the primers in the commercial ammo are recessed into the brass whereas on the surplus ammo the primers are flush with the base of the round.

Has anyone else ever run into that before?

Anyway. I think I need to buy another mauser. One that is in better condition. I like the rifle...just not this particular one.
Old November 18, 2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Red Tornado

Don't really know much about the ammo dilemma, I've never looked at commercial 8mm. But, it sounds like you need to go to AIM. They have some 24/47's available now and they've got to be better shape than you described your Turk.
RT
Old November 18, 2008, 01:01 PM   #3
10-96

+1
Yeah, go to AIM or J&G Sales. Everybody ought to have a couple Mausers around. I'm still itchin at the idea to have one reamed to 8mm-06 like they did for the GI bring-backs before there was any 8mm imported.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old November 18, 2008, 01:31 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

This may sound off the wall but check if the bolt shroud is completely screwed into the bolt. It is possible to operate the rifle with the shroud unscrewed one turn. It will drop the firing pin but its short in travel and will not hit the primer.

I have a 1935 action and tried it, will operate but no pin comming out of the bolt nose. Also the safety will not work.

Sorry I mis read what you said, and thought the firing pin was not hitting at all.

On the commercial ammo is there a firing pin dent?
Tom F.

Last edited by jaguarxk120; November 18, 2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old November 18, 2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Danzig

By the way, after reading my original post I feel the need to say that it was in no way meant to disparage auctionarms.com. I love the site. I have bought several other firearms from their auction with great success. I highly recommend them.

Well, I still have about 1000 rounds of my milsurp ammo left. So I am in no need of going out to buy more.

Though I wonder, if I buy another Mauser, and it is capable if hitting recessed primers, how much of a danger is there that the firing pin could end up piercing the flush primers on my milsurp ammo?