The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 12, 2008, 12:21 AM   #1
mrMONEYman

Dan Wesson Disassembly

I have a Dan Wesson 22vr that I just purchased not too long ago. I LOVE it, but I'm starting to lose hope in this gun. I need some cleaning advise.

The trigger won't reset after each shot. It doesn't matter if it is single action or double action. The trigger would stay in the fire position after each shot and the only way to reset the trigger is to lightly pull back the hammer or lightly push the trigger forward again. I only ran into this problem after putting the gun through heavy usage (like 300 rounds). I'm thinking that the previous owner has never cleaned the gun and there are a lot of gunk internally.

How do you disassemble the gun to reach the inside. I'm not sure if it is like taking apart a S&W revolver (which I have done before). Can somebody guide me in detail stripping my revolver, or point me in the right direction. I want to inspect the inside and give it a good cleaning before losing hope in the gun.

Here is a pic of the culprit:

Thanks in advance.
Old August 12, 2008, 08:51 AM   #2
noelf2

Sounds like you may have a problem with the trigger return spring (either broken or bent). Check out the link below for a parts / disassembly breakdown for the revolver. I have a DW 15-2, but have never taken the side plate off to look at the guts. I probably should since I've had it for 26 years now.

http://stevespages.com/ipb-dwesson-revolvers.html
Old August 12, 2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Majic

You will need the multi- purpose tool or a set of allen wrenches. Remove the stock. Cock the hammer and take the stock screw to capture it. Then remove the sideplate. If you want to remove the crane/cylinder assembly there is a small U shaped rod holding the crane in the frame (item 42 on that exploded diagram). TAKE CARE NOT TO LOSE IT. You may need tweezers to pull this lock out then the assembly just slides out the front. If you want to remove the hammer carefully remove the stock screw while controlling the hammer. You then can remove the hammer, strut (mainspring guide), and mainspring.
Old August 12, 2008, 02:14 PM   #4
john in jax

I was able to pull the sideplate off my DW .357 and clean it up real good without removing the internals, but there were TOO MANY itty-bitty parts and springs for me to feel like I could get it apart without launching something across the room never to be seen again.

On my DW .357 there seems to be a lot more parts/springs than the Rugers and S&W's I've had apart. As long as you stick to just removing the sideplate for a good cleaning you will have no troubles whatsoever. However if you go digging it'll depend on how good and experienced you are.
Old August 13, 2008, 02:40 AM   #5
mrMONEYman

Thanks guys.

I'll give it a try this weekend and report back to how it went. Hopefully, the gun will only need a good cleaning and nothing is broken or too bent out of shape.