The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 11, 2008, 05:42 PM   #1
HK123

G19 trigger safety bite

Anyone notice that on a compact Glock the trigger safety doesn't sit flush with the trigger and kind of bites you after a few rounds? I seem to remember reading that they did this so it qualifies as a "target shooting trigger" or something.

Anyway, how would I reduce the bite from the trigger safety. I understand I could sap in the smooth trigger from a G17, but does the safety sit flush with the trigger when pulled on this model. I owned one but can't remember off the top of my head. I just know that it really bugged me today as I shot quite a bit.
Old August 11, 2008, 06:32 PM   #2
hoytinak

I put a smooth trigger out of a G17 in both my G19's and and filed the safety down even with the trigger using a round file. Just picked up a G26 this past weekend and it does the same thing so I'm gonna do the same to it.
Old August 11, 2008, 06:35 PM   #3
HK123

So you would recommend getting the G17 trigger and swapping it in place of the standard G19 trigger and then filing it down some?

Does this interfere with the safety operation?

This gun is for carry so I don't want to make it unsafe in any way.
Old August 11, 2008, 06:53 PM   #4
hoytinak

I prefer the smooth triggers...that's just a personal preference, don't really matter. I carry my G19's as well and don't think it makes it unsafe in any way....after all you still have to pull the trigger safety in with the safety for it to fire.
Old August 11, 2008, 06:56 PM   #5
roadrash

My Glocks all have the smooth face trigger installed,I also use a little 600 grit paper to remove the flashing and smooth the face and tip of the safety lever.

Never had any bite,but this prevents blisters if the shooting is fast and furious.
Old August 11, 2008, 07:31 PM   #6
Alleykat

My G30 and G26 both have smooth triggers. They don't bite.
Old August 11, 2008, 07:38 PM   #7
HK123

I think you're confusing what I'm saying. I'm talking about the trigger safety sticking out from the trigger during firing. It starts to hurt after a bit.
Old August 11, 2008, 07:44 PM   #8
hoytinak

I know what you're talking about. I've never had it "bite" my finger but it did hurt it after a couple of hundred rounds at the range till I filed it down flush with the trigger.
Old August 11, 2008, 07:50 PM   #9
HK123

Bite is just what I'm calling it. Some people call it trigger slap. Eventually it will rub a blister.

Anyway I was actually replying to Alleykat. I wasn't sure what he meant by smooth trigger.
Old August 11, 2008, 08:58 PM   #10
HK123

What I did just now was rather simple. Use a sharp pocket knife and use the side of the blade edge to scrape at the tripper safety while the trigger was at the rearmost position. After working it a while the material started coming off. I worked at it for about 5 min and it was flush with the trigger and didn't poke my finger anymore. 100% improvement and didn't take any parts or special tools. It also doesn't even look like I did anything to it unless you really examine it and I mean stare at it up close. Otherwise it basically looks stock.

Thanks for the suggestions. Pretty much what you all said worked, actually...well worked
Old August 12, 2008, 08:48 AM   #11
Alleykat

Yeah, I knew what the OP was talking about...the trigger safety sticking out a little. I noticed that the "trigger bite" problem went away when I went to a G17 trigger for the G26 and a G21 trigger for the G30.
Old August 12, 2008, 03:14 PM   #12
HK123

I may look into the G17 trigger as well. Going to see how this does as is first.
Old August 12, 2008, 04:54 PM   #13
Night Watch
Registration in progress

Get a smooth Model G-17 trigger. Do a 25 cent polishing job at the time of installation. Push the trigger safety out from the rear and hold it there. Take a small fine file, a flat fine-grit diamond knife sharpener, or a Dremel Tool with a fine stone and just touch THE END of the protruding trigger safety.

If you remove too much of the trigger safety's face, you'll start rubbing the frame with the back of the trigger safety every time you pull the trigger; and, that's not a good thing. Just touch the very tip - That's all you need to remove.
Old August 12, 2008, 05:18 PM   #14
HK123

how can you rub the frame with the back of the trigger safety? it doesn't go back that far and there's always a gap between the trigger and the frame.
Old August 12, 2008, 08:53 PM   #15
Sixer

Im pretty sure he's saying (said) that you need to push the safety out FROM the rear. Then do your smoothing to the front of the safety
Old August 12, 2008, 08:58 PM   #16
HK123

Hm... that makes sense then. I just scraped away enough of the material for it to sit flush. Worked fine.
Old August 13, 2008, 06:24 AM   #17
Night Watch
Registration in progress

Quote:
how can you rub the frame with the back of the trigger safety? it doesn't go back that far and there's always a gap between the trigger and the frame.
You're not following what I said. This job is best done with the trigger bar removed from the frame. You have to hold the trigger safety forward in order to get at it. Don't scrape anything; file it off with a very fine file. (Knife sharpener!) Once reinstalled in the pistol a trigger with too much material removed from its face will certainly hit the frame every time you pull the trigger - THAT is what I told you to be careful not to do.
Old August 13, 2008, 07:11 AM   #18
flyby

As mentioned I also put a smooth trigger in ..first carefully dremeled and sanded the depressed safety blade flush with the rest of the trigger face ..the safety still works fine a couple thousand rds later..and is much more comfortable.

Last edited by flyby; August 13, 2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old August 13, 2008, 03:12 PM   #19
roadrash

I just gently sand the sharp edges off the safety lever with very fine sandpaper.This along with the smooth face trigger is very easy on the finger!

You guys must have delicate fingers if you require more than this.
Old August 13, 2008, 04:07 PM   #20
HK123

Well, like I said I just scraped a bit of the plastic off of the safety until it sat flush with the trigger while depressed (in the rearward position). Worked 100%

I understand what you meant now. If you take off too much you can't depress it. I just removed enough so that when you pull it back nothing sticks out, but it still protrudes from the trigger when in the forward position.

Actually found this information (the pocket knife idea) on a quick search. Pulled up a PDF with some quick mods and info on Glocks. Some of which came from the Armorer for the Miami PD a few years ago.

Last edited by HK123; August 13, 2008 at 05:56 PM.