The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2008, 06:57 PM   #1
mikenbarb

HELP! Anyone heard of Ohaus Powder measures?? Almost looks like a Harrell.

I just got an Ohaus Model 7200 Du-O-Measure powder measure and never heard of a Ohaus powder measure and wondering if anyone else has? It seems to be rite there with the quality of my Harrell(almost looks like they made it for Ohaus). If anyone knows about the Ohaus powder measures, Please let me know and fill me in on how this thing is. Thanks in advance, Mike
**PS- This is a powder measure and not a scale.**

Last edited by mikenbarb; August 10, 2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old August 10, 2008, 07:02 PM   #2
B. Lahey

Ohaus makes nice scales. I've only used their lab-type triple beams, but I bet the rest are high quality as well.
Old August 10, 2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Lunicy

I believe they make my dillon scale. Maybe dillon has some info on it. FWIW
Old August 10, 2008, 07:08 PM   #4
hodaka

Ohaus makes balances for RCBS.
Old August 10, 2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Loader9

Your Ohaus measure should have two cylinders. One for rifle and one for pistol. I use the pistol cylinder in mine and have never used the rifle. Mine will throw any powder from 4759 to ball and do it every time on the money. It's very similar to the old RCBS combo but holds more powder. As you probably know Ohaus sold out part of their business to RCBS. I still use the Ohaus beam scale that is the same as the RCBS 1010 scale. Ohaus still does the warranty work on their scales and RCBS.It's my understanding that there are no more replacement parts for the 7200 measure.
Old August 10, 2008, 08:25 PM   #6
mikenbarb

Loader9, Thats the one. Is this thing worth using? I currently am using a Harrell, Redding Master and a Lyman 55. I know its not better than the Harrell but wondering about the others to replace one or the other. I think the 55 is going to be sold or put away and replaced with the Ohaus powder measure. I know the scale I have of theirs is great and this looks great also but never knew anyone that used one. Didnt they offer a lifetime warranty? If so, What are they doing when a 7200 comes for repair? Im not that worried because the one I just got is still sealed in plastic and never was opened. Thanks.
Old August 10, 2008, 09:06 PM   #7
Nnobby45

I'm still using a Lyman-0Haus M5 ballance beam scale I bought in the mid '60's. At one time, apparently, Lyman and Ohaus were associated. Don't know if Lyman contracted Ohaus to build the scale, or if Ohaus just furnished the beam. Google around and you'll find all the info you need, most likely.
Old August 10, 2008, 10:09 PM   #8
Loader9

Mike, I've never used a Harrell so I can't really compare them for you. I can tell you this, you don't have enough money to ever get mine. It is far and away the best measure I've ever seen or used. It takes some breaking in for it start dropping dead on loads but once the internals get coated with graphite, it will drop any powder I've stuck in it on the button including the IMR powders like 4064, 4350 4831, etc.
As far as the warranty, I haven't had any problems with mine. I do know that Ohaus has a website and you can ask them. My understanding is that their customer service is close to being instant with response time back on an email is an hour or so.
http://www.ohaus.com/default.asp

On second thought, disregard all of the above. If ya don't want that old piece a junk, just send it to me. I'll thank ya kindly!
Old August 10, 2008, 10:19 PM   #9
mikenbarb

LOL, I knew that was coming. Im going to put this one rite next to my 20 dollar Harrell. Im trying to put a pic of it but cant get it to stick and clueless with posting pics. It looks like it has a nice knife edge cylinder, How good does it cut cylinder powders, Im gonna be using 4350 and Varget mostly but may use others in it.
PS- I just looked at their site and didnt realize their office was 1/2 hr. away from me. Its easier to just drive there and ask them. It may be better in person.

Last edited by mikenbarb; August 11, 2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old August 11, 2008, 01:08 PM   #10
Al Norris
Staff

Ohaus has a long and illustrious history, beginning in 1907 as a scale repair business. First incorporated in 1914 as the Newark Scale Works. They went on to innovate and produce the world's best scales. 1947 saw them incorporate as the Ohaus Scale Corporation.

In 1963, they produced the world's first magnetic dampening mechanism for their reloading products, providing for faster results. In 1973, they sponsored the first SuperShot competition. In 1988, they consolidated all their scale manufacturing under one name: Ohaus.

Do you trust the weight stamped on your packaged meat that you get from your local butcher? They were, almost without exception, weighed upon electronic scales produced by Ohaus. The leader in electronic weighing since 1979.

Go to almost any primary or secondary school, and you will find that the triple beam scales used most often, are made by Ohaus.

Nearly all scales produced for the reloading community, regardless of name, were manufactured (if not designed) by Ohaus.
Old August 11, 2008, 02:12 PM   #11
capbuster

I have been using the mentioned Ohaus powder measure since around 1970 when I started reloading. It is still going strong.I used it for my handgun loads and it never cared much for Unique powder and the only problem I had was that plastic powder hopper cracked where the screws held it to the base. Duct tape took care of the problem.