The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 10, 2008, 12:25 PM   #1
Smithy145

.58 Three band Enfield

Any Enfield shooters out their? New to the forms and was juest wandering if any body shoots an Enfield or a Springfield.
Old August 10, 2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Hawg

I've got an original 3 band and a repro.
Old August 10, 2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Phantom Captain

Howdy Smithy145,

Welcome. I'm an avid fan and collector of Civil War weapons along with being a re-enactor. That said I have (all reproductions) and shoot:

1842 Springfield .69 smoothbore
1858 Enfield two-band Rifle .58
1855 Harpers Ferry Rifle .58
1861 Springfield .58
1862 Richmond Rifle .58
1859 Sharps Carbine, breechloading .54

In addition to the long arms I also have 9 cap and ball pistols as well as a trap door 1873 Springfield Carbine .45. I also cast all my own minies and balls and reload my trapdoor .45-70 cartridges.
Old August 10, 2008, 04:42 PM   #4
Tom2

I got an early P-H musketoon that I have not fired yet. It is from the early 70's and looks unfired. Nice gun but the wood is of a light color that seems odd to me. Someone chipped off the toe of the stock and reglued it with brass pin reinforcements, I think that is like an arsenal repair, using brass? Well it only cost me 250$. ONe of these days when I have alot of time on my hands I will make it bark. Everyone online says it is not authentic CW era due to the shape of the barrel bands, etc. but I think I will use it for fun, not for reenacting. I love to see CW reenactors but never wanted to be one. Guess it is my flat feet. I hate lots of marching. Luckily the AF did not have 20 mile hikes etc.
Old August 16, 2008, 04:21 PM   #5
PaultheWall

Enfield shooter

I have an Armi Sport 2-band 1858 Enfield replica.

It is an excellent shooter.

After experimenting with a lot of different bullets and load combos, I have come up with this combo that works well for me:

60 grains of FFG Goex
Overshot card
Swaged .575 Enfield bullet (from Dixie Gun Works, here's the link: swaged
Bullet is greased in the base

Again, this combo has worked very well for me. Here's a shot of a target I shot at 100 yards recently with this combo:

Paul the Wall
Old August 16, 2008, 05:11 PM   #6
Hawg

I don't punch paper but I can tear up a five gallon bucket at 300 yds with my Armsport 3 band. I use home cast Lyman traditional minies and sometimes a Lee Improved minie. I make them out of stick on wheel weights. They come out of the mold at 577, just right for easy loading and extreme accuracy. I normally lube in the grooves but lube the base for paper cartridges. I use 70 grs. of Pyrodex.

These are the minies I make with a .45 ACP for size comparison. The traditional is next to the .45.

Here's one of the traditional styles after impact in soft dirt at 300 yds.

The hole it came out of was four inches across and nine inches deep.

You can see the hole across the pond from about 30 yds. or so.

Old August 16, 2008, 11:02 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

I've shot my 3 band, 2 band and musketoon. I use the minie casted by a Parker-Hale mould (made by RCBS), lubed with SPG and propelled with 60-65 grains FF.