The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 11, 2008, 01:21 PM   #1
playtheblues

Finally shot my '51 Pietta Colt

Had some very old Pyrodex I needed to get rid of. Shot it single shot as the balls I had were .440, and the caps I had were #11. I need to get some .454 balls and #10 caps! :-) The gun consistently shot 9 inches high at 35 feet. What can be done to bring the POA down? Also, I want to open it up and clean it beyond the "pulling the wedge pin out and cleaning the cylinder and barrel." Will anything fly out if I take it completely apart? Is it real complicated?
BB in SC
Old August 11, 2008, 02:22 PM   #2
CraigC

These guns were originally sighted in for BPCR silhouette ranges. Replicas follow suit. You need a taller front sight to bring the POI down so that usually entails a dovetail cut. I have no experience with Steve Young but he is well reputed on Leverguns.com.

You can certainly take the gun all the way down but it's not really necessary. You probably need to do it a couple times at least to become familiar with where everything goes and how it works. Traditional single actions of the Colt design are fairly easy to work on. Unlike a NM Ruger, nothing goes flying out when you take it apart and it's easy to reassemble. While you're at it, you might want to install a Heinie bolt/trigger spring for a cheap durability upgrade. I'd recommend you get a good book on the subject and a set of properly fitted screwdrivers or driver bits. I like the Magna-tip from Brownells, available in a set specifically for Colt single action screws.
Old August 11, 2008, 02:33 PM   #3
playtheblues

My uncle was a master gunsmith, and I have all his old precision screwdrivers and tools. He always grumbled when someone sent him something to work on with a boogered up screw. I detest that myself. I was thinking taller front sight, but did not know it that was the correct approach. Does the front bead sight just screw in? If so, perhaps someone makes a taller screw in sight. If not, perhaps I could build it up with braze and then hand fit it back to shape. It's just so tiny, I'd rather find another sight to screw in. I appreciate the info, and hope to hear more ideas.
Bill in SC
Old August 11, 2008, 04:01 PM   #4
K.A.T.

75 yds.

I think these guns were orignally sighted in for shooting people at 75 yds., hehehehe! Get the right screwdrivers, I picked up one at the auto parts store that I use on most of my revolvers. Take it apart and clean it right every time. Don't over tighten the screws, it is not necessary.
Old August 11, 2008, 05:20 PM   #5
mykeal

Disassembly of a Colt replica is covered in the following post, found on The Firing Line's sister forum, The High Road:
Disassembly of the Colt revolver

I would also recommend Mr. Cumpston's book, Percussion Pistols and Revolvers, History, Performance and Practical Use.
Old August 11, 2008, 05:32 PM   #6
playtheblues

I appreciate that thread link. I have it bookmarked!
BB in SC
Old August 11, 2008, 11:49 PM   #7
Smokin_Gun

Playthe blues try this, but wait till after you get .454 ball...shoot it with them first. Then make a call on the sites. Them .440 ball was a jus' bouncin' round in there.
Here ya go this is Oldelm's idea I jus' have the copyright privilages:O)
Brass Rod or I suppose Copper a hair bigger than your site. Cut the inside and outside to fit as an extention over the existing site(below)

install soldered and file/sand finnish it, adjust as needed.

Compliments of an http://voy.com/60048/ member "Oldelm"

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old August 12, 2008, 04:09 AM   #8
Raider2000

Smokin:
You cease to amaze me, I know this isn't one of your ideas but gosh darned it you can find some great ones out there, I would not have thought of that & the 51' Navy having that bead front sight will definitly take that with ease.
Old August 12, 2008, 09:18 AM   #9
playtheblues

EXCELLENT, Smokin Gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I figured there was some "trick" to get this done. Looks like an EASY fix. I do realize the .440 balls "was a jus' bouncin' round in there", and I will certainly try the .454s before ANY adjustments are made. I LOVE this site and the fine folks here!
Bill in SC
Old August 12, 2008, 10:51 AM   #10
Hawg

Smokin is da man when it comes to innovations.
Old August 12, 2008, 12:34 PM   #11
Oquirrh

Good on you, Smokin' Gun...

Great idea, but I need a higher sight for my Colt 1860, which has a low blade--maybe I can do something lengthwise with a brass rod. Or make a U in the bottom of the rod so it straddles the blade.

Also, were you able to solder the extension without hurting the bluing?

tnx.
Old August 12, 2008, 03:20 PM   #12
playtheblues

Does the factory bead sight screw out? I don't want to apply heat to my barrel.
BB in SC
Old August 12, 2008, 04:08 PM   #13
Oquirrh

Quote:
Does the factory bead sight screw out?
My experience: They are squeezed in and you get them out by rapping them with a brass rod which usually ruins the bead.
Old August 12, 2008, 11:38 PM   #14
playtheblues

Might be easier to just remove the factory bead and replace it with a piece of brass turned to specifications on the lathe. Whatever the method, shouldn't be overly complicated.
Bill in SC