The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 11, 2009, 03:49 PM   #51
tblt44

380 is a little better I always carry my Lcp but do carry my 9 or 38 when I feel I am going somewhere with an elivated threat because both have less than desired stoping power.I do feel safe with my 380 only because I shoot it alot and I know where it hits.
Old April 11, 2009, 08:01 PM   #52
B.N.Real

I am surprised to see so much praise for the power of the 32 round versus the 380.

I have read of some really disturbing failures of that round to stop attackers.

That said,any gun trumps your fists against an armed attacker.
Old April 11, 2009, 08:52 PM   #53
CBH

Anybody who doesn't feel 100% secure with the stopping power of a .32 handgun just needs to add the correct accessories, .
Old April 11, 2009, 10:38 PM   #54
DarthTedd

Thanks for the info christcorp.
Old October 28, 2010, 07:51 PM   #55
Blev1

Looking for a carry gun for front pants pocket. .38 is great but too big. Now it's .32 vs .380, .25 is rulled out because you can find .32 and .380 for about the same size.

I like the Beretta Tomcat. It fits in the pocket has a double action/hammer for single shot ability, and a safety. They have come out with a wide slide to stop the frame cracking. Naa Guardian in the .380 is nice, but heavy in the pocket. Not into polymer guns like TCP and Kel tec.

I am a police officer and have seen a lot of people killed with one shot on a small calibers like a .32 and a .25, and have seen others shot several times with a 9mm or .357 or 45 cal several times and still lived, which is scary.

Is the .32 a decent round to carry for a pocket gun vs. the .380, is there much difference in range accuracy or power on the round?
Old October 29, 2010, 08:13 PM   #56
LarryFlew

I have carried both (KelTec) as bug and therefore shot both a lot. Now only have the P32 as the other had just enough extra spunk to put my shots all over the map. Decided 8 or 10 where I want them is better than 6 or 8 more powerful shots zipping past the target. Carry is a .45 so hope to never get down to the .32 to begin with. Do sometimes carry it in summer with shorts etc when IWB is even to big.
Old October 29, 2010, 11:00 PM   #57
MikeNice81

Carry which ever is easier to shoot. I am looking at a good used .38spl or pocket 9mm because that is what I find comforting.

If you are comfortable with a .32 and can shoot it well then go for it. It will work if you aim for the right spots.

Back in the 1960s my dad's aunt and uncle ran a boarding house. They had to kick a guy out for not paying his rent. He got irate and started throwing a fit. He went to his car and came back with a 6" knife. He told my dad's uncle he was going to skin him alive. My dad's aunt stepped out on the porch and with one shot (from about 10 yards) killed the guy. She was carrying a .32 S&W Long revolver.

New York City police shot Angel Alvarez 21 times with 9mm Gold Dots. The guy was back out of the hospital in a week.

The point is simple. It is all about which one you feel comfortable with and will carry. There is no promise when it comes to hand guns stopping a bad guy.
Old October 29, 2010, 11:48 PM   #58
the blur

I have a .32 S&W revolver. Ammo is hard to get.
I use the short wad cutters for the range.

99.9% of people go through life not needing a SD gun.

The other .1 percent ... are you planing to shot a guy who is 300 lbs, or a guy that is 100 lbs. Then you can decide which round is best

Also, will it be winter, or summer. how thick will his clothes be
you could get away with a smaller round summer time, then step up to more stopping power during the winter.

unless you always take head shots, then it doesn't matter what season it is
Old October 30, 2010, 12:11 AM   #59
dec41971

christcorp you my hero man. Best post on the caliber BS battles I have ever seen.
I see these threads all the time and wonder if posters ever take into consideration all the real factors. More than 7yards and its most likely murder. That is just for starters. Then consider all the factors you counted about real life issues...sigh! I have CCW size .45, 9mm and pocket .380; I honestly believe any is fine, and I will carry any of those. I am no caliber snob. I had a .40 PPS sold it after one range outing. It proved to be too much. More than I could handle. I still have its 9mm twin. I am a realist you see, I readily admitted the .40 was worthless in my hand. To thyself be true.
Old October 30, 2010, 10:35 AM   #60
seeker_two

I agree with christcorp....if you're going to get a .32 or a .380, use European-made ammo...the American stuff is just too anemic for good performance...
Old October 30, 2010, 01:40 PM   #61
engineer88

My Keltec P32 is my always gun. Front right pocket with an extra mag. Honestly though I usually have something bigger iwb because I can. Between pocket and iwb I have a gun accessible to me in most situations (sitting, standig, etc.). I have a P3AT but it is harder to control. For the .380acp I much prefer a larger gun like my walther or feg.

In my opinion for a true mouse gun (pocket gun, whatever you want to call it) the .32acp makes the most sense for recoil and controlability, etc. I know that goes against the grain, but I don't have to have a kung fu grip on my 32 for it to cycle reliably. Mag dumps are much easier as well (which may well be what anyone would do with their life on the line).

One other thing, there is wisdom in not being shocked by the noise of your chosen round/rounds. I have personally experienced the sound of a handgun round going off in a small room and even after hundreds of trips to the range witth hearing protection it was a real eye opener. Do not underestimate that. Since then I will ocassionally take the muffs off for one round of whatver is my favorite carry at that time.
Old October 30, 2010, 05:02 PM   #62
pythagorean

When it came to choosing .380, .32 auto, and .32 SW Long among smaller carry type options I boiled it down to a .32 SW Long in the Colt Cobra.

I had, additionally, an SW 36 in .38 to choose from as well, but in the end all the little handguns went away while I kept the Cobra.

The auto is not my choice for "self defense."
Old October 30, 2010, 05:05 PM   #63
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I have a P32. While I do like it, my fingers seem to constantly hit the magazine release while firing. In the course of 7 rounds, I may drop the mag twice. Consequently, I don't carry it much and will probably sell it in the next few months.
Old October 30, 2010, 06:45 PM   #64
engineer88

Swampyankee, don't sell it based on that. Just grab sandpaper and rub or cut that release down to a nub. I have on my. 380 & .32 Keltecs and have never had a problem since. That is one of the great things about polymer. Don't like it? Reshape it.
Old October 31, 2010, 08:17 AM   #65
mrt949

I have owned both 380 & 32 caliber pistols from kt. Gave them too the kids .Then I went back to 32 during the ammo shortage now I carry a SEECAMP 32 .Great pistol . I like the feel of steel.
Old October 31, 2010, 10:03 AM   #66
Squibb

Seecamp in a Speedo! OMG, I can't get that out of my mind! You know how many ways that could go, don't you?
Old October 31, 2010, 02:58 PM   #67
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:
Just grab sandpaper and rub or cut that release down to a nub.
Hummmm... That never occurred to me! I wonder how easy it is to replace the release if I screw it up, I'll have to take a closer look.
Old November 1, 2010, 06:46 PM   #68
Blev1

Anyone have any luck with the Beretta Tomcat with the wide slide? I know the old ones suffered from a cracked frame if you used hot ammo, but I like everything else about it and it is in my price range. The Naa guardian seems to heavy in the .380 and I like the fact that the Beretta has a manual safety on it and I like it better than the Guardian .32 cal. Not interested in polymer guns like Kel Tec and can't afford a Seecamp. Just wondering if anyone has one and has experienced any excessive kind of jam up problems before I buy one. Thanks
Old November 1, 2010, 07:03 PM   #69
Terry A

I prefer the .380

I HAD a Davis .32 and I HAVE a KelTec .380 if that's any indication.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old November 1, 2010, 07:47 PM   #70
IXLR8

In my opinion the .32 ACP IS more accurate than a .380. I do not know the technical reason for it, but in bench shooting both, the .32 beats the .380 every time. Knockdown is of little consequence, if you miss your mark.

Even the latest American Rifleman compares the new S&W laser pistols, and the .380 is 6+" groupings at 25 yards, and the .38 is 3" at the same distance. The .380 has a 2.6" barrel and the .38 has a 1.8" barrel. It just does not make sense except ballistics.
Old November 4, 2010, 12:48 AM   #71
DG45

Was looking for some 380 ammo today. Am down to four rounds of Winchester - I forget what its called, because its been so long since I saw any for sale locally - but its the brass cased stuff that looks like its a hollowpoint that's not hollow. The hollow part appears to have been plugged with something that may be soft lead. Or maybe its a hard lead post. Anyway no more of that Winchester ammo was to be had in any gun store in town. Wal-Mart did have some Russian stuff with painted cases that felt rough to the touch and another local store had MagTech which I've never tried. I was afraid that neither of these loads would feed well in my gun, so I didn't buy any of either kind.

I did ask the Wal Mart clerk, who seemed pretty knowledgable and savvy about guns and ammunition why he had no Remington or UMC or Winchester 380, or American Eagle or Federal in stock. He said it was because they couldn't keep that stuff on the shelves. He said every cop in town had a Kel Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP or Bersa 380 that he/she carried concealed on his/her person as a back up gun, and that that the instructors in every concealed carry class in the county were recommending the 380 auto as the ordinary citizens concealed carry weapon of choice.

If you think about it, those cops and those instructors are more or less casting their vote for the .380 versus the .32. That ought to tell you something.
Old November 4, 2010, 11:30 PM   #72
Mosin44az

MagTech HP worked fine in my LCP, the recoil wasn't awful either. I think it's a quality brand.
Old November 5, 2010, 02:39 AM   #73
HoraceHogsnort

Both of those calibers have about as much "stopping power" as a loud fart!
Old November 5, 2010, 01:35 PM   #74
HisSoldier

Quote:
Just grab sandpaper and rub or cut that release down to a nub
Belt sander. After pulling the gun out of my pocket 10 times and finding the magazine hanging down 1/4" I decided to make releasing the mag a deliberate action as opposed to an accident. Once you have dropped the mag with the short release a few times it becomes second nature to use your finger tip.

I have CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P-238's. Video on installation in Sig;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2v_-87DRM
Old November 5, 2010, 05:49 PM   #75
IXLR8

Quote:
Both of those calibers have about as much "stopping power" as a loud fart!
If you can fart as loud as my .32, you might be a redneck...