The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 14, 2012, 08:20 AM   #1
tobnpr

Anyone used Buffalo Bore 9x18 +P in their CZ-82?

I opined about trying this ammo a year ago for SD, and never gave it a "shot"...

I see that they now have a 115 grain FN bullet, listed at 1057 fps and 300 ft./lbs of energy out of the '82.

Damn near standard 9x19 performance- and 50% more energy than a "standard" 9x18 round.

The '82 is as stout a small handgun as I've ever shot...but I don't see any published pressure data nor anyone that's ever tested actual chamber pressures with the load.

I have no concerns about the gun blowing up from using +P- BB has tested the ammo in the platform and I'm sure their product liability insurer would have issues if it weren't capable of handling it for at least SD purposes.

But despite the cost, I'd want to test at least 100 rounds or so in a range session to verify proper cycling and accuracy before trusting it as ammo in my EDC.

I would like to hear comments from anyone that has used this ammo, their results, and whether a stiffer recoil spring was required...

Thanks.
Old September 14, 2012, 08:58 AM   #2
chupps

I bought a couple of boxes of this ammo and I carry it in my Makarov. I only shot 3 mags. No problems. I did not notice the recoil any different from any other 9x18 ammo.

My back yard ballistic test consisted of 10 inches of wet phone books. This round went clear thru, but so did brown bear 9x18 fmj. As a comparison, .38 gold dot hp out of my snub nose penetrated about 8-9inches.

In an effort to stop this bullet I put a 1/2 wooden board in front. Both 9x18 rounds went thru all.

I carry the Buffalo Bore because I like a HCFN round, I believe the primers are superior to Brown Bear, and I trust Buffalo Bore's data. I'll spend some extra cash for good SD ammo.

I do have a heavier recoil spring in my Mak.
Old September 14, 2012, 04:06 PM   #3
tobnpr

Thanks...
Old September 14, 2012, 04:27 PM   #4
KevK.

I've been considering BuffaloBore my CZ82, thanks for the info!