The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 5, 2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Buzzard Bait

Hornady Light Magnum 243 round

Has anyone used the Hornady 243 light magnum round? The specks look impressive I wonder what the accuracy is like? I guess it is using some of the same high quality components I/we already are using in our reloading.

Buzzard Bait
Old August 5, 2008, 05:51 PM   #2
tyrajam

I REALLY want to talk to someone who has shot any light magnum rounds over a crono. Most of these high energy rounds use special mixtures of powders that normal handloaders like myself can't produce. But their published data is usually wildly optimistic, to put it mildly.
Old August 5, 2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Buzzard Bait

ditto that

I should have listed that in my question does anyone have any chronograph numbers to support the velocity claims??????

Buzzard Bait
Old August 6, 2008, 09:20 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I've no experience with the Hornady.

I've shot the Federal Premium High Energy 165-grain loads in my '06. The subjective feel of the recoil tended to be in accord with their claimed 3,150 ft/sec from a 26" barrel; my '06 is 26". Some email correspondence with an '06 guy in Australia included the datum that his chronograph and 26" '06 met the Federal claim.

I have read one brief squib in a gunzine that one of the Hornady Light Magnum loads did not chronograph as advertised, but it's quite possible that the gun had a shorter barrel. That WILL make a difference.

To add an FWIW, I have found that the Federal .243 load with the Sierra 85-grain HPBT groups as tightly as do my handloads; commonly inside 3/4 MOA and often around 1/2 MOA.

Just general info; might be of help...

Art
Old August 6, 2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Powder_Burn

I've had good experience with the 95gr SST on whitetails and manage about 1.25 MOA w/this ammo from a Kimber Montana. Here's what the recovered bullet looks like...

Old August 9, 2008, 12:21 AM   #6
Major Dave (retired)

Hornady Light Mag chron results

I fired the 140 g load in 7x57 Mauser, and found only 100 fps higher velocity, compared to the standard velocity Hornady loading for the same caliber, which I also fired through my chrony.

But, the 7x57 is a special case, in that many of the old military rifles chambered in this caliber have weak actions. This caused corporate lawyers employed by ammo loading companies to require mild velocity/pressure loadings of all 7x57 ammo, trying to make the loadings "lawsuit proof".

So, I handload my 7x57, getting 300 fps more than standard commercial loads. My rifle is a modern, strong action custom rifle, so I can get about 100 fps more velocity than a commercial load for the 7mm-08, safely.

A couple of years ago I heard the owner of Hornady on a radio show (Tom Gresham's "Gun Talk"), discussing the Light Mag loads, and he commented that the 7x57 load was the mildest one in their lineup, but they were able to achieve better velocity increases in almost every other caliber.

Anyway, the 7x57 is the only one I have chronographed.

I own a .243, also, so I would like to know the answer to your question, too.
Old August 9, 2008, 12:34 AM   #7
Swampghost

Another .243 owner signing in and curious.

Powder-Burn, you killed Bambi? Not bad expansion! I'm really looking at the Barnes Triple series for this coming season.
Old August 9, 2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Blackops_2

I have used hornady light magnums in my .243 since we got it. They are a phenominal round, and to be honest hornedy probably makes the best factory ammo. Anyway i've killed 5 deer with it, only had one run because i gut shot him, and he ran like 300 yards. But you place the shot right and that light magnum tears them up. Dropped a doe at 275 and a 8 point buck at 235 bot with the .243. Accuracy, is great also my .243 will stack em with that little shell. It's one hell of a good shell, get it you wont be dissappointed.
Old August 9, 2008, 03:15 PM   #9
Jason280

I have chrono'd Hornady LM .280 through my 22" Remington Mountain Rifle, and the claimed velocity was very close. I'll have to find my notebook, but I believe they were clocked around 3050-3100fps with a 139gr bullet.

I would imagine the .243 velocities will be very close to the claims.
Old August 9, 2008, 03:37 PM   #10
zoomie

The 150gr .308 Light Mag claim of 3000 fps was accurate. Haven't checked the .243.
Old August 9, 2008, 04:48 PM   #11
Blackops_2

Fact is just buy the round if it groups in your rifle, you wont be dissappointed.
Old August 11, 2008, 02:22 PM   #12
Buzzard Bait

That's what I'm going to do

I'm going to take Blackops 2 advice and buy a box and give them a try

Buzzard Bait
Old June 8, 2010, 10:37 PM   #13
omeno9

suit a howa 243 1500 sporting?

Hi there
Just looking for some advise as to the Hornady Light magnum ammo and weather they are available to suit a howa 243 1500 sporting? anny advise would be greatly appriciated as i have come up with nothing from my local gunsmiths.
Old June 8, 2010, 11:21 PM   #14
Blackops_2

I'm sure they'll shoot fine. Explain though what you mean by are they suitable for a howa 1500 sporter?
Old June 9, 2010, 12:09 AM   #15
Sodbuster

Hornady has come out with a newer line of ammo, the Superformance, which I believe replaces the Light Magnum loads. You may still find light magnum loads on the shelf. In .243 you get an 80-gr GMX loading or a 95-gr SST in the Superformance load. I have no personal experience with this new ammo, but I did read an article in one of the gun rags (American Hunter?) in which the author tested it and found Hornady's claims to be true. No problem shooting this or any other .243 load in your Howa.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old June 9, 2010, 12:17 AM   #16
roklok

I have 5 boxes of the .243 light magnum, have not fired any of it yet. When I do, I will try to cronogragh some. A buddy shot the .280 light magnum out of his 22" 700 and they Chronographed very close to the stated velocity. That was 10 years ago, dont remember exact numbers, but they were close.
Old June 9, 2010, 06:57 PM   #17
omeno9

Thanks for the feed back.... it will be a great help. only reason i asked in relation to my howa was because of 3 guns shops asked none had heard of the round (im in australia) and one told me i cant use them in the howa but he too was unsure of the rounds. He did recomend the .243 wssm but not sure if they suit what im lookin for. im just looking for the round that will give me most power at the longest range. thanks for the info though guys ive learnt a bunch from these threads.
Old June 9, 2010, 07:57 PM   #18
Sodbuster

IMHO you don't need the wssm cartridge. The old .243 Win is a classic and fine round which you should be quite happy with, especially if you already have a Howa. I don't think they chamber any of the WSSM calibers. I've never heard anyone say a Hornady light magnum load was too much for a bolt action rifle. Normally you wouldn't fire Hornady light magnums or Federal High Energy rounds in a semi-automatic rifle. I think Hornady says the Superformance works in a semi-auto, but.... always check what someone tells you on the internet.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old June 9, 2010, 09:05 PM   #19
Blackops_2

Agreed .243 WSSM is overkill on the animal and barrel life compared to regular ole .243. As for the howa shooting light magnums you'll have no problem. I'm guessing the gunsmith or store owner was thinking the round is too hot for the action or something of that sort. Howa 1500 is a strong action, you ought to be just fine.
Old June 9, 2010, 11:59 PM   #20
omeno9

i know this is a long shot ( lol excuse the pun) ((excuse the lameness)) but does any one know where i can find the superformance rounds in australia?
Old June 10, 2010, 03:00 PM   #21
hardluk1

The light mags worked well in most rifles. It was the heavy mag loads that gave hornady a fit with development and some did not shoot well. I have been useing the heavy mags in 7mm reminton mag and can say for me it is great. Had my rifle rebarreled with a #5 krieger and the rifle can shoot 2" at 400 yards so the ammo can be great. Mine cromoed at 3415 average in a 26" barrel and addvertixed at 3310. I will try there superperformance when ready to buy some again. There new ammo is 3000fps for 159gr 308,,thats quick. Try it.