The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 5, 2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Squirrel Stalker

Good air/pellet rifle for under $200

I'm looking for a good, accurate pellet/air rifle for under $200. My friend has the Gamo Big Cat 1200, but from what I've heard Gamo rifles are horribly inacurate, which is not what I'm looking for. I would like optics to be included in the $200 limit.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Squirrel Stalker
Old August 5, 2008, 12:51 PM   #2
otto2002

Good afternoon squirrel stalker, i purchased a remington summit. I got from cabelas, and it is a 1000fps. I chronographed it and it is only about 875 fps, but it is very well made rifle that is very accurate. The only thing people seem to have problems with about this rifle is that there is a set screw under the scope mount that works its way loose. So I just put some threadlocker on it and have had no other problems. I think you would be very happy with this rifle. It's MSRP is $199 but you can get it a little cheaper, and it does come with a nice 3x9 mill dot scope.

Good luck!!
Old August 5, 2008, 12:55 PM   #3
T-Ray

i got a (crossman?) quest for $100 at dicks and it's great. it comes with a scope, but you could put a nice (for a pellet gun) scope on there and stay in your price range. I did a lot of research and reading of reviews before i bought mine, but my price range was $100. I reccommend the quest (i think it's called somethin different now, but here's a pic)

www.texasguntalk.com/forums
Old August 5, 2008, 01:09 PM   #4
chris in va

You're right, my older Gamo Shadow 1000 isn't very accurate for some reason. I have another break barrel rated at 675 which is light years ahead in accuracy. It looks very similar to t-ray's.
Old August 5, 2008, 01:44 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Loose Nut Behind Stock!

Don't call the gun inaccurate unless you know the fundamental differences in air rifle recoil and powder fired firearms...
Here are pics from some of my follies and forays... Shadow 1,000 with and without scope. Range varies from 40 feet to 60 yards.

Fine gun but as with any highpower spring action air rifle you must do things a bit different to see the capability of the rifle...
Brent
Old August 5, 2008, 01:55 PM   #6
Inspector3711

I have the Gamo Hunter 440 combo (BSA 4X32 AO scope) which I paid $199 for. Natchez has it on sale for $149 right now. This thing is way accurate. Shot a big gray squirrel with it the first time out. The shot was in low light in deep woods through the branches at about 100 feet. I aimed for the head and it dropped. Ran over and it wasn't even twitching. The shot was centered on the left side of the head.

I would recommend this combo to anyone as a great sub $200 value. The scope, while not outstanding, is more than adequate for plinking/squirrel hunting and the rifle shoots nice little groups.

I did notice a big difference in accuracy based on how the pellet sits in the breach whan it is inserted. Insert it lightly.
Old August 5, 2008, 05:33 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I settled on the crosman pellets in my above post as being the best consistency for the lowest price. I tried many brands and types and the worst shooting were some of the more expensive. They need to fit snug in the breech. If you need to make sure the pellet doesn't slide out, they will be inaccurate.
Brent
Old August 5, 2008, 06:00 PM   #8
Squirrel Stalker

After seeing hogdogs' posts, I think a gamo rifle will do great. Now I need to decide between the Shadow Sport or the Hunter Sport. I like the Hunter Sport because of the wood stock, but performance is better than asthetics.

Help?
Old August 5, 2008, 07:25 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I must say the synthetic stock on mine is nicer and much more solid than the synthetic ruger .22 bolt action I own... I have not fondled the wooden Gamo stuff and since the barrel is out front I doubt bedding and such is a factor... get what suits your needs. I need low maint. all weather capability.
The cold night pic is a regular ol' rat... I was sitting where the photographer stood and shot it off the 2X cross boards of the fence behind me. I picked off many of them. They tried to move in the house in winters.
Brent
Old August 5, 2008, 07:36 PM   #10
Squirrel Stalker

Alright, I'll go with the synthetic stock, since now that I think about it it does feel nice while shooting it. Now for the model. I know I want a shadow series, but which one? Here is the page with all the shadow series on it, which one would be best for small game/target shooting?
Old August 5, 2008, 07:39 PM   #11
MisterWilson

Wal-Mart usually has a $100 Crossman (or Daisy...Can't remember) Break Barrel pellet rifle that's rated at 1,000 FPS and even comes with a decent scope.

I don't remember how accurate it was, but it was powerful as hell and accurate enough to hit birds off phone polls.

I did however get rid of it when I learned that subsonic .22's are quieter than pellet rifles.
Old August 5, 2008, 07:46 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I reckon they stopped putting blade sights on
The hunter scope has tacticool laser and white light but...
Mine was a basic Shadow from walmart. I took my scope off for the rat shooting at night and put it on my .22lr. Now I wouldn't want one on it.
I would go for the Big Cat as the only difference is scope model and stock style from what I see...
Brent
Old August 5, 2008, 07:48 PM   #13
Squirrel Stalker

Thanks for all the help hogdogs.

Big Cat 1200 it is.
Old August 5, 2008, 07:48 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I first bought the daisey but the dang latch that holds the plunger system back would let go slamming the barrel shut... Owned it one afternoon, called daisey and reported it and took it back.
Brent
Old August 5, 2008, 07:50 PM   #15
Squirrel Stalker

Oh, I forgot to ask: What type of pellets should I use?
Old August 5, 2008, 07:55 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I settled on the ones in my first post. Walmart specials... used on every kill and target pictured...
Some Beemans were junk as were the bulk tin of daiseys at walmart. Flyers all over the paper and some way off paper...
Brent
Old August 5, 2008, 09:11 PM   #17
skeeter1

Pellets

Quote:
"I settled on the crosman pellets in my above post as being the best consistency for the lowest price."
I've tried lots of pellets in my .22 airguns (Crosman 2250, Benjamin 132, and Benjamin EB22), from cheap Daisies (OK for shooting tin cans and targets), to rather expensive Beeman's. The Crosman Premier hollow-point pellets are about the best I've found, and not too expensive. They don't really expand (the highest velocity airgun I have is only around 650fps), but they're well-made and consistently accurate.
Old August 5, 2008, 09:31 PM   #18
skeeter1

Cheap air rifle

Quote:
"I'm looking for a good, accurate pellet/air rifle for under $200. My friend has the Gamo Big Cat 1200, but from what I've heard Gamo rifles are horribly inacurate, which is not what I'm looking for. I would like optics to be included in the $200 limit."
How do you feel about CO2? The Crosman 2260 is about $80, leaving you plenty for optics. I've got a 2250, but it's not nearly as nice as the 2260. I took off the stock scope and replaced it with a BSA red-dot, about $40.

If you're into pumps, I like Benjamin/Sheridan. I have a couple of them, one 40 years old that still works fine. They're part of Crosman's "signature line" now, and about twice as expensive as the Crosman brand.

I had one springer that fell apart in only a couple of years, so I'm not doing that again.

I don't know a thing about pre-charged pneumatics, so I can't offer any advice on that front.

Take a look here (if you haven't already)

http://www.pyramydair.com/

Lots of information, and a good company. I've bought two from Pyramyd now, no problems.
Old August 6, 2008, 01:50 AM   #19
Alaskee

Air guns

Here are some newly on sale at Sportsman's Guide
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=458289
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=458286
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=458293
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=458292

I just picked up a Crossman G1
Old August 6, 2008, 02:16 AM   #20
ButtNugget

You know, some of us don't really want to see bloody squirrel heads when we browse the rifle forum.
Old August 6, 2008, 02:22 AM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

The complaint would probably carry a bit more weight if it came from someone who didn't pick an obviously disgusting username.

If you care nothing about whom you offend, why do you expect more from others?
Old August 6, 2008, 09:31 AM   #22
ButtNugget

OK, if my username is offensive then I will change it immediately. I could not have know it would be offensive. I come from a southern Baptist background with plenty of language-sensitive people around me, and I have never known "butt" to be so extreme a word as to offend. Immature? Probably so.

If shown images on a screen, I wonder what % of people would avert their eyes to the word "buttnugget" vs. the % people that wouldn't want to look at dead, bloody animals...

More likely than you being offended by my name would be that you are offended by the fact that I don't like to look at things that you like to look at. Perhaps this seems judgmental to you. Well I am no man's judge, but I do have some pretty strong opinions about hunting and killing for "sport." Notice that I tried to leave that OUT of my initial post in this thread. I didn't say "OHH the poor squirrel" or try to pick a fight. I simply said that some people don't want to see these kinds of pictures when looking for info on a "Good air/pellet rifle for under $200." There is even a forum here dedicated specifically to hunting! Use that! I still can't believe I'm having to defend my original post, and from Staff, no less!

Sorry for the hijack, OP.
Old August 6, 2008, 09:43 AM   #23
CajunBass

To get back on subject, even though I believe the OP said he had picked a rifle, I've got a Beeman 1073 that I got from Wally World for about 130.00. The neat thing about this one is that it comes with both .177 and .22 cal. barrels, as well as a pretty good 4X scope. I'm no great rifle shot, but I can hit cans, rocks, etc. out to 30-40 yards standing on my front deck. I might give it a try before too long for squirrel hunting.

For $130.00 for the rifle, and <$4.00 for the pellets (500), it makes shooting a 22 seem expensive. A lot of fun for not a lot of money.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 6, 2008, 10:12 AM   #24
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Buttnugget, I do not kill for sport... I kill for practice... Actually I kill vermin like rats just cuz a trap is so inhumane! I can shoot more in a night as well. Nearly every animal I kill is utilized. Squirrels, rats, doves and rabbits are fed to pet snakes. Big rabbits are fed to dogs. Other times I eat the squirrels, rabbits and doves along with larger game.
DO NOT ASSUME I AM A SPORT HUNTER!!! I take intense offense to that claim! I shall not commit WANTON WASTE OF WILDLIFE!!!
Have fun and welcome to TFL!
Brent
Old August 6, 2008, 11:10 AM   #25
Inspector3711

No problem with dead squirrrels here. I hunt and I browse forums to learn more about the sport. Pictures help a hunter communicate.