The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 3, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1
Dearhunter61

Pentax Rifle Scope review?

All,

I am looking at a Pentax scope. I have never tried one and am not sure how it would perform or what it would compare to? Has amyone owned one? Used one? that could give me some feedback?

I have owned the folllowing and am wondering which one of these it would be closest to?

Bausch and Lomb
Burris
Leupold
Bushnell
BSA
Tasco
Weaver
Zeiss

Thanks
Old August 4, 2008, 12:08 AM   #2
sholling

Pentax makes two lines, and all the rest that you named have 3-4 or more lines. Pentax has the entry-level Gameseeker and the mid-priced Lightseeker lines.

Based on this scale from what I've read (I haven't tried a Lightseeker) the Lightseeker is a 4-star scope, and the Gameseeker is a 2 or 2+ Star scope. I have an older Gameseeker that I bought used and it's not a bad scope for what I gave for it, but I couldn't tell you how the new ones are.

Rumors were going around that the original Lightseeker were sourced to Burris but that as Burris got too busy that production later moved to one of the two top Japanese optical works.
Old August 4, 2008, 02:41 AM   #3
sourdough44

I bought a 4x 'Gameseeker' off a guy a while back. It's rather large for it's power. I thought it would be closer to my Burris 4x. The gameseeker is O.K. but I wouldn't buy another.
Old August 4, 2008, 03:09 AM   #4
454c

IIRC, there's a connection between Burris and Pentax rifle scopes(except the Gameseeker line). As in being very similar.
Old August 4, 2008, 07:54 AM   #5
Mannlicher

I have a Pentax Lightseeker 2-7X 32 on my .243 Ruger M77, and a Pentax Gameseeker 1.75-5X 20 on one of my Marlin lever guns.

These scopes have great optics, are bulletproof, and represent a great value.

I find them particularly good in low light.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 4, 2008, 08:03 AM   #6
Jason280

I have a Pentax Whitetails Unlimited 2-5x22 on my BLR .308, and its an excellent scope. Glass is clear and bright, and the adjustments have been spot on.

Which model are you considering?
Old August 4, 2008, 08:10 AM   #7
Dearhunter61

Pentax 8.5-32x50 Lightseeker-30

Sorry,

I am looking for a scope for long range target shooting.
Old August 4, 2008, 02:13 PM   #8
Wleoff

Not what you asked, but cost effect for long range, can't beat a Weaver T36, about $400.
Old August 10, 2008, 11:23 PM   #9
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Horrible scopes. We sell them and have more problems with them than any other scope line. Needless to say, once they are all gone, we will not be restocking them.
Old August 11, 2008, 06:41 PM   #10
Shottist

Pentax Scopes

I have had 4 Pentax High Power, 6X18, Light Seeker, 30mm Scopes. All have had problems and have been returned to Pentax for repair and/or replacement. I found them as expensive as comparable Leupolds and generally optically equivalent. I was not happy with mine and will not purchase another. It is my understanding that originally Pentax ground the lenses in Japan, shipped them to Burris who actually built the scopes. Go with a Leupy.