The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 31, 2008, 04:32 AM   #1
fitfighter81

Llama 1911 .45 acp

Anybody have any experience with one of these? I was looking at one the other day and a couple of the older shooters i know have good things to say about it. Just looking to see other thoughts on the gun..
Old July 31, 2008, 06:39 AM   #2
wilson133

The biggest problem with the Llamas is that the quality varies widely. Getting a decent one is really hit or miss, unfortunately it is usually miss. You could buy a Rock Island new for only a little more money and get a gun that is reliable and has a strong warranty from a company that is still in business. If you have a very tight budget and you are or know a good 1911 smith, maybe the Llama would be worth a look if it is cheap enough, but I wouldn't do it.
Old July 31, 2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Sevens

The Llama is not going to be a very good purchase. It may look like a 1911, but many (most?) of the parts don't interchange. Your money likely better spent elsewhere.
Old July 31, 2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Que

I had a good one (Mini-Max Subcompact) but the gun is rough. If you get a good one there is potential with some stoning and buffing, but it will never be what is best about the 1911.

I'd also comment that the gun was made as a carry gun but little thought was put into the actual execution. The front and rear slide serrations are so sharply cut that it tore up my hands and holster. The edges are also sharp and not conducive to carry. The front sight is downright dangerous.
Old July 31, 2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Magyar

I've owned a couple of Llama .45's, sold one, but kept one for my vehicle. I've read about all the problems on various forums, but never failed me on the range. Few parts available from Numrich...Due to parts becoming scarcer by the year, if I was purchasing now I'd want a "hell of a deal" and you can use the Llama out-of-business as a bargaining point...Good luck...
Old July 31, 2008, 10:49 AM   #6
rogertc1

Just got a used Llama Mini-Max Subcompact Hi-Cap (2004 production) I only paid $300 for it. Thought I would have issues and the store has a good gunsmith They said they would fix it if I had a problem.
It would lock open on the slide lever every couple of shots.
The detent does not contact the slide lever and the tips of Ball ammo rub on the lever, Besides that it is a really neat little well built 1911 pistol. Probably only need a new slide lever hand fitted which I could have done? I'll let them do it for no charge.
Yes I also have Kimber, Detonic, Spingfield and a Remington 1911's.
I just love little orphan guns and it needed a home.
Old July 31, 2008, 12:21 PM   #7
darkeye

I have a Llama IX (not IX-A) ~circa 1950's, that I got from my Dad - it is exact copy of the original Colt 1911, and it is rock solid. I've put many a round through it, and it has never done me wrong.
Old July 31, 2008, 12:26 PM   #8
Buzzard

I have a Llama IX-A and so far it is been a good shooter.
The finish is poor but it shoots anything I have fed it so far and has not been any problems . I plan on keeping it due to the accuracy of this particular pistol.
Old July 31, 2008, 02:05 PM   #9
Davis

I had a double-stack IX ten years ago. It was a good pistol, very reliable, but not very accurate in my hands so I sold it and got an FEG GKK that was a very good DA pistol.

Davis
Old July 31, 2008, 10:57 PM   #10
Martowski

Traded a Llama that had a professional trigger job done + some cold cash a couple years ago for a Kimber Classic Custom Target. No comparison at all... the Kimber is a Cadillac that shoots nice tight groups; the Llama... not so much. But, a huge difference in price as well. Llama was a decent plinker, though.
Old August 1, 2008, 01:10 AM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Had one in the mid 80s

Don't remember the model #, but it was a 1911 copy with a very low vent rib. It took 1911 mags, and would reliably extract and eject 5 of the 7 rounds from the magazine. And which two FTEs were random.

Sold it cheap to a fellow who knew about the problem, kept the holster, it was the best part of the deal!

I have no faith in Llama handguns. Your mileage may vary, but mine has been consistantly bad.
Old August 1, 2008, 10:29 AM   #12
apr1775

A friend of mine has a Llama double stack mag 45acp. I've done some work on it for him. The major components like frame, slide, grips, and barrel do not interchange with other 1911's. Many small 1911 aftermarket parts will work, but often require some hand fitting. If you get a Llama 1911, replace the sear spring (that three finger piece) with a good quality one. His had an accidental discharge and I've heard of others doing the same.

The Llama 1911's would be great for the home hobby gunsmith. Get one cheap and dehorn, refinish, and fit after market parts. End up with a nice custom pistol. If you like the Llama the way it is and don't do your own work, just replace the sear spring and be on your way. Another option is to spend a little more and get a Rock Island and have full 1911 interchangable parts.
Old August 2, 2008, 01:29 AM   #13
michael t

Llama is history been gone for around 3 years now. They were hit and miss. More miss than hit. Not a true 1911 and a waste of money. Go buy a rock island or one of the other lower priced 1911's
I have owned 3 llama's since late 1960's The 1960 gun was good rest have been crap.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old August 2, 2008, 05:49 AM   #14
rogertc1

Ah but everyone needs at least one Llame in their collecton!!!
Old September 19, 2008, 11:21 PM   #15
larryh1108

Love my Llama 1911

I have a SS version of the IX-B built around 1989. What a sweet piece! I guess I am a lucky one but I have a buddy with the .380 and it is just as nice. The gun is tight, the action smooth, hits POA all the time and it has tight groups up to 50'. I have not seen many stainless steel ones. Anyone else have one? Perhaps they made the SS a little nicer due to the higher price. (shrug) to each his own! I love my $300 SS Llama Gov't 1911 .45

Old September 20, 2008, 12:28 AM   #16
Bill DeShivs

Larryh1108- the gun is not stainless steel, it is satin chrome plated.
1950-1968 Llamas were good guns. Quality dropped after that. None have ever been an "exact copy" of the Colt 1911 series.
Old September 20, 2008, 12:39 AM   #17
passintime

Saw a guy bragging on his at the range one day. After about 50 rounds he had to hand cycle every round after firing I have since joined a private club because of people like him. He was very unsafe and I felt like his gun was, too. And that was before I knew what a Llama was, so there was no preconceived bias.
Old September 20, 2008, 06:52 AM   #18
larryh1108

satin chrome?

Bill,

Just asking to learn. When I bought the gun the seller said it was nickel plated. I knew he was wrong. You say it is satin chrome by looking at the picture. My question is did Llama not make a stainless steel version? The finish does not appear to be plated with anything. No where is there a sign of flecking, peeling, rubbing or any tyoe of wear showing steel underneath. I also see the grain of the metal as you do with stainless but not with a finished or covered metal. I have seen stainless in other models and my untrained but experienced eye sees stainless. I am not challenging you but wish to know for sure what it is for my personal knowledge. Why do you believe it to not be stainless?

Thanks for your help, Larry H
Old September 20, 2008, 07:02 AM   #19
alloy

i had a .380 years ago that suffered a rapid disassembly of parts when a pin retaining the slide broke on the range under fire. had it repaired, samey same. it ended up between a hammer and anvil. the thing cost me $75.00 used around '85.

my only llama experience.
Old September 20, 2008, 07:09 AM   #20
larryh1108

passintime

I am curious. You had the pleasure of being next to a moron at the range. He had a Llama and by your account he was unsafe. You seem to feel he is an idiot and since he had a Llama that makes Llama handguns unsafe.

When I bought my 1911, the gun looked clean on the outside but as I hand cycled some ammo, every other or third round wouldn't chamber properly. When I looked at the throat and ramp, it was loaded with crud. It looked like he never cleaned the throat. I saw that the finish was not nickel and that the internal guts were not maintained and knew the seller didn't know a whole lot about handguns. Before I even tried to fire it, I stripped it down and cleaned it where it is now "like new". The throat and ramp now look like mirrors and I have had 0 FTF, FTE or jam of any kind.

My point is just because the guy next to you was an idiot does not make the gun he had a bad gun. it could have been a Kimber that he never cleaned. He could have had a $2000 1911 and still handled it like a moron and still been unsafe. I guess that what I am saying is what does the guy's shooting and handling ability (lack of) have to do with the gun he was using? How does this make a Llama a bad gun before you knew of their reputation? I say an idiot is an idiot no matter what he shoots.

I do know there are bad Llamas out there. I knew that when I bought mine. I love to see the noses turn up when they hear it's a Llama but they love it before they know what it is. Mine is fun to shoot, accurate, tight and is now well maintained. That's why I shoot any of my guns. You may love your $2000 1911 and I love my $300 1911 and life goes on. I have always felt that the majority (note: not all) of gun failures are due to improper maintenance or failure to understand how they function properly. Parts breaking does happen in anything mechanical. If you put 5000 rounds thru a Llama and the extractor breaks, is it a POS or do you say "wow, 5000 rounds in a $300 gun isn't bad. I guess my new extractor should get another 5000 rounds."?
Old September 20, 2008, 07:21 AM   #21
Magyar

Quote:
I love to see the noses turn up when the hear it's a Llama but they love it before they know what it is. Mine is fun to shoot, accurate, tight and is now well maintained. That's why I shoot any of my guns. You may love your $2000 1911 and I love my $300 1911 and life goes on. I have always felt that the majority (note: not all) of gun failures are due to improper maintenance or failure to understand how they function properly. Parts breaking do happen in anything mechanical. If you put 5000 rounds thru a Llama and the extractor breaks, is it a POS or do you say "wow, 5000 rounds in a $300 gun isn't bad. I guess my new extractor should get another 5000 rounds."?
You must be long-lost "brother" from ChicagoLand....Well said my man...
Old September 20, 2008, 07:31 AM   #22
larryh1108

nothing is perfect

Maybe I'm a little bit of a sadist but comparing guns to autos is not a stretch when you consider mechanics. You can spend $60,000 on a Benz or $15,000 on a Chevy yet they both get you from point A to point B. One is prettier.

I have seen many Benzes on a tow truck and wonder how the owner copes. Yes, you see a lot more Chevys on a tow truck but is that due to the Chevy being an inferior product or the fact that Chevy sells 50x (or whatever) more cars than Mercedes does? Perhaps both but they both can and do experience mechanical failure.

The same applies to autos as guns. Don't maintain it properly and it will surely fail when you push it. Maybe, since the Llama is a "cheaper" gun, that it isn't maintained as well as the big boys. All I do know is I like mine and it functions perfectly. I may have one of the few "good ones" and maybe I just maintain it properly but as it sits, I'll put it up to most 1911s for accuracy and looks and it won't let me down... unless something breaks while I shoot it! LoL.
Old September 20, 2008, 08:21 AM   #23
forest15

Quote:
Maybe I'm a little bit of a sadist but comparing guns to autos is not a stretch when you consider mechanics. You can spend $60,000 on a Benz or $15,000 on a Chevy yet they both get you from point A to point B. One is prettier.
I see your point, but several years ago I let my wife talk me into buying us a KIA with the using the same method of thinking, and after 3 years of constant problems, inability to find parts, etc., etc., we finally almost had to give it to a dealer as a trade in just to get rid of it. Point is, guns, cars, whatever the case may be, sometimes you do get what you pay for, and even if funds are not unlimited, it may be better to save for awhile to pay for quality, then buy cheaper now and pay later.
Old September 20, 2008, 08:23 AM   #24
MrClean

Have only had experience with three in my life. That was enough pain for me.
Colt - Regal Stallion
Bushmaster - Powerful Snake
Stag - Majestic Deer

Llama?...... see below HAHAHAHAHA

Lifetime NRA, USPSA, HCSO, CRS Club
Old September 20, 2008, 09:09 AM   #25
Magyar

Quote:
Point is, guns, cars, whatever the case may be, sometimes you do get what you pay for, and even if funds are not unlimited, it may be better to save for awhile to pay for quality, then buy cheaper now and pay later.
This concept is thoroughly ingrained in our consciousness. Since you used the car analogy, what happened to Cadillac over the past 30 years?
The advertisers and propaganda merchants cannot overcome shoddy products. Let's take KIMBER for a moment. They spend an inordinate amount of their budget on advertising. Observe the gun rags.. That money isn't lost, but placed on their price tag. But yet, there are a lot of dissatisfied customers. My point, there are a lot of bargains out there w/o a big price-tag....