The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Shrinkmd

Any Rumors for Redding at the 2011 Shot show?

I remember hearing somewhere that Redding was going to come out with more G-Rx dies (or something similar) to deal with bulges in other calibers than the 40S&W. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Old January 17, 2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

They might. The Lee Bulge Buster, which is an adapter for their Factory Crimp dies that take advantage of the carbide OD sizing rings already in them, are available in .45 ACP and 9 mm as well as in .40 S&W.

I've suggested to Lee that a lot of guys might like having them for .308 and .223 cases to iron out semi-auto extractor burrs and deformations. I don't know if that's ever going to happen or not.
NRA Patron Member
Old January 18, 2011, 02:53 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

The problem with push-through sizing dies is that most of the cartridges people want them for are not straight-walled cartridges.

With the tapered cases, the die manufacturers have to make one of two compromises:
1. Make the finished size large enough to prevent swaging the base far enough to cause tight primer pockets, but require a second sizing in a proper die for the mouth of the case.
2. Make the finished size small enough not to require a second sizing for the mouth, but risk tightening primer pockets by swaging the base too small.
Old January 18, 2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

The sizing dies all have a radius at the mouth. Add the portion of that radius that is wider than case spec to the shell holder thickness above the rim, and that portion of the length is never affected by a resizing die. For busting bulges, the sizing ring needs simply to be no narrower than the maximum base diameter. That way is doesn't squeeze the head unacceptably. Rather, it just makes sure the portion of the head that a sizing die doesn't touch is still forced within spec to ensure feeding. After that, the resizing die still needs to be used before reloading.
NRA Patron Member
Old January 24, 2011, 07:02 PM   #5
ClarkEMyers

Rumors are a two ring carbide die - big ring base tight ring neck

Rumors are a two ring carbide die - big ring base tight ring neck - calling it Dual-Ring.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/ima...gcarbidepr.doc

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; January 24, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old January 24, 2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Shrinkmd

Looks awesome! I can't wait to get my hands on some...

It seems like it would make more of a difference in a tapered case for autoloaders, rather than for true straight wall revolver cartridges, right?
Old May 30, 2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Shrinkmd

I see that MidwayUSA officially has the dual ring sizers in stock, but no reviews yet. Anyone here planning on getting one?