The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 20, 2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Lavid2002

Need help buying waterfowling stuff

Duck season is almost upon us fellas! And I have a few questions.
*My shotgun gets rusty....REALLY rusty. Is there something I can do to keep it from rusting up so bad? I am willing to drop fivety bucks on getting it re-finished with something REALLY rust resistant. The gun is only 210 so im not over doing it....How about one of those heat-shrink camo coatings? Would i slap one of those on for rust prevention? Any advice is appreciated
Ive tried steel wool for removal, takes off the rust. I use wd40 barricade, silicone, and gun grease and the rust still comes!
*What size shot do YOU prefer 2 or 3? Im wanting to go with three becase I will have more BBS but I also dont want to cripple myself in terms of effective range, I think ill go with threes. You?
*Duck call....Im new to calling, I can do it but theres some major room for improvement. Im ok at hail calls, drake mallard calls, but I need work on my feeder call. Whats a good call I can buy for under 30 bucks?

Thanks fellas!
-Dave
Old July 22, 2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Lavid2002

Anyone?

Reccomendations on the finish are GREATLY appreciated.
-Dave
Old July 22, 2008, 09:14 PM   #3
mikenbarb

Cerama coat or Parkerize it. You can buy the kits for around 30 bucks. I have seen water get under the shrink tape and ruin a gun. Clean it after every use and you should be ok. I have seen guys spray paint their guns metal with krylon camo ultra low glare so it wouldnt rust and it worked pretty well. Its hard to get off but if you dont mind paint, Go for it. Large ducks I use BB or #1, Small ducks 2 or 4 and for geese I use BB,B and T size. If im shooting the 3.5 12 gauge i tend to go a little larger. If im shooting the 10, I use a bit smaller sometimes but it likes BB Heavy-Shot. It all depends on the range your shooting and if pass shooting go with larger shot. If decoy hunting, Go with smaller. I use Briley waterfowl tubes and they pattern great with steel and Hevi-Shot at all ranges. #3 shot in steel is ok for close range. If its Hevi-Shot, your good to 40+yds on small ducks. If your set on using 1 size for ducks, Go with #2 or #1 steel or #2 Hevi. Theres a few good calls for under 50 and you have to figure out what one is good for you. I have seen guys with 200 dollar calls that couldnt blow to save their lives and guys with 20 dollar calls that sound like sweet duck music. I use a cheap Old Nag call and it bring em in every time. Good luck.
Old July 23, 2008, 04:11 AM   #4
Lavid2002

Thanks mike!
Old July 23, 2008, 05:58 PM   #5
Lavid2002

What are advateages.disadvantages of parkerizing and cerama coat?
Old July 23, 2008, 06:41 PM   #6
jmr40

What kind of gun do you have ?
Old July 23, 2008, 08:37 PM   #7
Lavid2002

meh....

Cop off Remington 870....
Harrington and Richardson pardner pump action 12 ga 3"
Would it be worth it to send it out? I just want a TOUGH finish! Appearance means little to me!
Old July 24, 2008, 03:32 AM   #8
predator86

parkerize it.....its the only finish that i would take into the duck blind.....no, i take that back, its the only finish i would take into hell and back with expectations to look nice.

there, that sounds better!
Old July 24, 2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Lavid2002

How much?

Honestly...Can I parkerize this thing at home? I dont have a tub large enough for a shotgun BBL. Is it worth the money to send it out? THE SHOTGUN ITSELF IS 220! : 0! I found prices around 150 to coat it! Can I get this done for 60 or under? Proffesionall or at home?
Old July 24, 2008, 12:30 PM   #10
Doyle

Better solution is to dump that 870 Express and get a better quality shotgun. The Express models are known rusters (do an internet search if you don't believe me).
Old July 24, 2008, 04:00 PM   #11
jmr40

I would not spend the money on a Chinese copy of the 870. Live with it or camo paint it is my advice. Parkerizing would be a good choice but done right would cost nearly as much as you have in your gun.

Some complain about the 870 Express rusting but it has never been an issue for me. I would use the money I planned to use on this gun and save it towards upgrading later.
Old July 24, 2008, 09:33 PM   #12
mikenbarb

If its a cheap knock off, Its not worth it and trade it in for a nicer model for ducks. Theres alot of good used 3.5's out there for a good price. If your keeping it, Look at the cerama cote at Brownells. Its a tough rustproof finish. And theres always the option of a good coat of camo paint if you realy dont want to spend alot. I have seen alot of guns in the duck blinds that were spray bombed and held up great. They didnt look the best but they dumped as many ducks as the expensive ones.
I have a new 870 express and its been a rust bucket from day one. I clean my guns after each use but the 870 still got rust in certain spots even with its factory parkerizing. I dont know whats different with the new steel and finish on the 870 but I never have a problem with any of my older ones. I guess whatever import car that got melted down that day went into the gun metal.
Old July 24, 2008, 10:40 PM   #13
Lavid2002

be easy....

It was a gift from my mom three years agow hen I just started duck hunting. I cannot buy a new shotgun, this one works fine. I have expended thousands of clays and hundreds of ducks with this baby...not one failure. A few stuck shotshell hulls but a stockslam and cleaning took care of that. I just want a cheap finish.....not to get ragged on for my gun.
-Dave

P.S. Cerama coat will hold up? How about where the pump rides the mag tube....will it wear off easily there? Should I not coat that part of the gun?
Thanks!
Old July 24, 2008, 11:09 PM   #14
Nnobby45

Quote:
Whats a good call I can buy for under 30 bucks?
http://www.haydels.com/

You don't need a fancy call. Their simple Mallard calls are all you need. Not as loud as some calls, but medium to close in work they're great.

Keeping rust off your gun? We use WD40 for protection on our 870's, but cleaning them at the end of each day is essential. Waterfowling takes a tough gun. Never found a way to keep all rust off the gun. Fine steel wool will take it off.
Old July 25, 2008, 12:29 AM   #15
olddrum1

STOS

Ponsness Warren, the Reloading press maker, markets a lubricant called STOS. After every use I will wipe my gun down with this after cleaning. I have had guns sit in the safe for a year without any signs of rust. Also if you are keeping your gun in a hard case or cover you might try removing it when you get home. If you put your gun in a case outside where it is hot and humid and then take it into the house where it is cool you will have moisture condense on the metal parts as the gun cools giving it a chance to rust.
Old July 25, 2008, 02:14 PM   #16
Lavid2002

Thanks! Ill be buying a can of cerama coat, ang im still in the markt for duck calls!-Dave
Old July 28, 2008, 05:34 PM   #17
Lavid2002

Anyone coat a firearm with the stuff? Ill post a new thread wih this question.
Old July 28, 2008, 05:46 PM   #18
mikenbarb

I did 2 with it and they came out pretty well. It dont look like factory blueing but its pretty nice. And its tough as anything out there.
Old July 29, 2008, 07:36 PM   #19
Lavid2002

Did this instead...lets see how it holds up!
Old July 29, 2008, 08:45 PM   #20
mikenbarb

Fix that cracked stock! I dont know what that is but dont look like an 870 knockoff. It looks like a Mossberg barrel on it. pretty neat looking gun.
Old July 30, 2008, 06:17 PM   #21
Lavid2002

Nope....same parts and everything as a remington 870, the only differences are the stock, the mag tube cap is squared off not round, and the action is blockier, nor rounded like the 870. also...its HEAVY! 8 1/2 lb!

I missed a duck because I tripped and stuck my barrel into the mud, I chucked the gun on the ground and the stock chipped....oh well temper temper. I call it, "hunting hardened". Or stupidity both work :P

Thanks mike
Old July 30, 2008, 06:24 PM   #22
minnfinn

Parkerized or one of the camo dip coverings.
Nothing with keep it completed safe from corrosion, unless you take certain steps to prevent it. Never ever put a gun into a gun case after it's been exposed to any moisture (e.g. rain, snow). It's better to tear it down and fully wipe down and let it dry before assembling and storing, even if you are only driving for a short while.
Old August 4, 2008, 07:52 PM   #23
PacoRocks

primos has a call called the feeding mallard all you do is shake it back and forth and it produces a excellent feeding call.