The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Trusting Kahr and their products
Go for it! Kahr makes great guns. 22 73.33%
Boo! Stay far away from Kahrs. 8 26.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 17, 2008, 01:59 AM   #1
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
Kahr poll

Ok...

I've heard some nasty things said about Kahr pistols and the lousy customer service if a pistol needed work.

I've also heard some high praise for the company and the product they sell.

I really am on the fence for this this choice.

I would like to buy an MK40 for a CCW piece. It will be in the neighborhood of about $750 NIB. Since I have started a new job and am at the bottom of the pay scale this purchase will be painful for my wallet. But I really want a slim, steel, large caliber pocket carry piece. It would make life so much easier for me.

Is buying a Kahr worth my time and money or should I look for something better (ala S&W Scandium .357mag or something like that)?
Old August 17, 2008, 02:07 AM   #2
denfoote

Go For It!!

I have a old MK9 Elite 98 that has been the cat's meow!!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old August 17, 2008, 02:14 AM   #3
HKFan9

Got a brand new PM-9 few months ago has been flawless, 100% reliable gets carried often.
Old August 17, 2008, 02:24 AM   #4
Playboypenguin

My Kahr MK40 Elite 03 is nothing short of phenomenal. It is super tiny, super reliable, very powerful, and very attractive. It really is one of the most underrated CCW's on the market today. My one interaction with Kahr, when I lost the grip screws, ended up with free grip screws sent 2nd day air at not cost. I did not even have o ask.

Old August 17, 2008, 02:31 AM   #5
sholling

I'll refrain from voting. I own a PM40 and IMO Kahr makes good quality guns but it will take you 300rds of FMJ to break it in and then another 50-100rds of carry ammo before I'd ready trust any semiautomatic. The little micros only have a 3" barrel so I'd be looking at the $1/rd Speer Gold Dot For Short Barrels. Kahr is also serious about the warranty being limited to one year. After that you're on your own. All for a pistol that to me is a tad to thick to pocket carry. But hey it may work for your pockets. To be honest I like my Kahr a lot but I carry it IWB.

On a budget you might just be better off with either a compact M&P40C loaded with 180gr Federals HSTs ($.5/rd) or a Smith & Wesson 642 loaded with Buffalo Bore short barrel JHP. You'd be able to afford rent and practice on a starting salary. Just a thought. But if you have the money the Kahr is a nice pistol.
Old August 17, 2008, 02:51 AM   #6
nate45

Go for it

Haven't had minutes trouble with my PM9.

Old August 17, 2008, 06:49 AM   #7
pokey074

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909305
Old August 17, 2008, 12:39 PM   #8
bikerbill

Been carrying a PM9 since I got my CHL several years ago and it has been nothing but golden ... probably has 800-1,000 rounds through it, not one failure of any kind since I got past the first 100 breakin rounds ... I keep it clean and loaded with 115gr JHPs, carry it either in a pocket holster or a Galco paddle; IMHO just about the perfect carry gun for anybody who lives where it's hot all the time (lahk Texas) ... I have other guns I carry when the weather permits, but the PM9 has so far been the one I always turn to ...
Old August 17, 2008, 12:40 PM   #9
HKFan9

I thought it was sac-religious to discuss other guns on a Glock Forum!?!
Old August 17, 2008, 01:00 PM   #10
Te Anau

There needs to be a middle ground choice on the poll.There are good & bad Kahr experiences.
Old August 17, 2008, 02:12 PM   #11
PSP

I've hd both good and bad experiences. The two steel Kahrs I owned were excellent, reliable pistols. I sold one, aK9, and kept one, a T9. I've owned two poly Kahrs, sold one, a P45, because it was good but not perfect as to reliability. I am in the process of evaluating the second poly Kahr, a CW9. So far it is going well. I have more confidence in all steel Kahrs than I do in the poly Kahrs.