The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 5, 2008, 10:08 AM   #1
jazzman111

Best pellet pistol?

This seemed to be the forum closest to my topic, so, here goes. I want to buy a pellet pistol, preferably in .22 caliber simply because I have a couple of tins of them to use up. I plan to use it at max 20' range. Since I have a Benjamin rifle, I was looking at the Benjamin Sheridan pump pistol, but I saw one reviewer who said he'd had two bad experiences with that gun, saying the quality control has gone way down. I'm not going to be using the gun for competition, so I don't need the top of the line, but I'd like something with decent quality. I'm also open to CO2 types. Suggestions?
Old July 5, 2008, 10:18 AM   #2
robhof

robhof

I've had 3 Co2 pistols and all lost their gas when stored for any length of time. They also started leaking from the valve after a year or so. When they worked they were great. I sent them in for repair if they were still under warranty, one was past warranty. They worked for a time longer, but eventually did as they were doing before.
Old July 5, 2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Stumper

Long term the $$ savings of using .177 versus .22 will make ignoring the tins you already have a wise choice. In addition .177 airguns tend to be more accurate. (there are a whole host of reasons why and of course there are exceptions but simply consider the low velocities involved with an air pistol and think about barrel time.)

Pump up pneumatics are fun but offer a slower firing pace and are generaly bulky. Spring piston single shots are considerable faster. CO2 adds expense but the pistols are a hoot and still economical. They also tend to be compact and ergonomically similar to common firearms. The precharged multishot pneumatics are the ultimate in power and performance airguns ....and can easily cost more than a good firearm.-Likewise the Olympic target airguns.

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old July 5, 2008, 10:55 AM   #4
stephen426

I have a Crossman Repeat Air Model 2210. It is a CO2 operated pellet gun that shoot .22 caliber pellets. It is pretty accurate but the trigger is long and heavy. It uses an 8 shot rotary clip and fires pellets at 425 fps. It includes rails for mounting an optical sight and a rail to mount a laser.

The difference in .177 and .22 is not that great on paper, but what it does to pesky animals is significant. We had a pigeon problem in a shopping center and they were hanging out on sprinkler pipes and pooping on customers' heads. They even got so bold that they flew into our steam table and started eating out of it. The food obviously had to be thrown away since pigeons are basically rats with wings. The management basically said all they could do was turn a blind eye if we were to took care of the problem. With .177 pellets, shots to the body would just daze them and they would keep walking around. With the .22 pellets, it would drop them pretty much instantly. I think the ligther weight of the .177 lacks the penetration to reach anything vital. BBs were also pretty much useless even though I believe penetration would be better than a .177 pellet.

If you decide not to get a .22 gun, let me know what you want for the pellets and I might take them off your hands. You might want to consider getting a combo .177/.22 rifle though. I have the Hammerli X2 which I bought for $249.97 on Sportsman Guide. Sportsman Guide also has the Beeman Dual Caliber Air Rifle for $139.97 or the Baikal 512 .22 Caliber Air Rifle for only $49.97.

p.s. You might also want to check out Airgun Depot. They seem to have an amazing selection at great prices.
Old July 5, 2008, 12:40 PM   #5
Slopemeno

Daisy 717. Near-match grade accuracy, and cheap. No C02, just a single stoke pneumatic. If you think you need more accuracy, get the 747.
Old July 5, 2008, 01:17 PM   #6
jazzman111

It's amazing the good information you can get on this forum, and quickly, too. Thanks, guys.
Old July 5, 2008, 04:09 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

I've got a Sheridan rifle (very similar to the Benjamins) that I like. But I shot a Benjamin pump pistol awhile back and was not at all impressed. It was hard to pump, the sights were rudimentary and the trigger was pretty horrible. You might try the CO2 (EB22) model to avoid the pumping, but you're still stuck with the sights & trigger. The trigger CAN be improved if you're mechanically inclined.

The Crosman pump pistols are pretty decent, I've had one for a couple of decades that's served well. It doesn't look like they make them in .22 anymore so if you want .22 you'll have to go with the CO2 model (2240).
Old July 5, 2008, 04:38 PM   #8
skeeter1

Quote:
"I was looking at the Benjamin Sheridan pump pistol, but I saw one reviewer who said he'd had two bad experiences with that gun"
All I can tell you is that I have a Benjamin model 132 .22cal pump air pistol that I bought somewhere in the 1960's. It still works perfectly well. The Crosman pump rifle (same vintage) gave up the ghost, and is now gone. I replaced it with a Crosman 2250B CO2 rifle (also .22), and it's as ugly as they get, but seems to work just fine. I should have gotten the 2260. I like CO2 because I don't have to pump them. My college roommate had a Crosman 600 .22 CO2 repeater, but if you can find one in decent shape, they're dreadfully expensive. I have no experience with pre-charged-pneumatics, but a lot of people seem to like them.

At any rate, I like any Benjamin/Sheridan airgun. I don't think you can get any better.
Old July 5, 2008, 05:48 PM   #9
B.N.Real

I used to own a single shot Crosman pump pellet gun .177 that was one of the finest handguns I have ever shot.

I could just see some little old man on the assembly line at the Crosman factory lovingly building my pistol and test firing it and saying there goes a fine weapon.

Admittedly,it was just a single shot target pistol that had a slide door on the barrel to load a pellet in but what an incredibly well made handgun.
Old July 5, 2008, 07:11 PM   #10
stephen426

Quote:
I used to own a single shot Crosman pump pellet gun .177 that was one of the finest handguns I have ever shot.

I could just see some little old man on the assembly line at the Crosman factory lovingly building my pistol and test firing it and saying there goes a fine weapon.

Admittedly,it was just a single shot target pistol that had a slide door on the barrel to load a pellet in but what an incredibly well made handgun.
I'm willing to bet that you are talking about the American Classic. The good news is that it is still being made and the price is pretty reasonable. It is probably one of the most powerful air pistols made. I think you could get over 600 fps out of it if you pumped it enough. Accuracy was pretty darn good too. It was slow to shoot though due to the single shot design and the multiple pumps required.
Old July 5, 2008, 08:58 PM   #11
JayCee

Gamo Compact air pistol. Superb trigger, superb accuracy...

Not a repeater, but for practicing offhand handgun shooting for accuracy, it's the best I've found.

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old July 6, 2008, 12:09 AM   #12
chris in va

Drozd.
Old July 6, 2008, 12:11 AM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Gamo Compact air pistol. Superb trigger, superb accuracy...
It does seem to have quite a following. I don't recall hearing a bad word about it.
Old July 6, 2008, 12:14 AM   #14
american lockpicker

Gamo or Crosman.
Old July 6, 2008, 05:24 PM   #15
Stevie-Ray

Don't think you'll find a better air pistol than this one. I have a 5mm Sheridan pellet rifle, but I always wanted this pistol. Maybe I'll still have one.

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/crosman-...p-pistol.shtml
Old July 6, 2008, 06:01 PM   #16
rogertc1

Have real firearms been ban??
Old July 6, 2008, 06:03 PM   #17
B.N.Real

Airguns are real handguns and rifles.

This thread is dedicated to those manufactureers who have produced very memorable air handguns and those of us who have enjoyed them and learned a great deal shooting them.

Real handguns are still legal.
Old July 6, 2008, 06:17 PM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Have real firearms been ban??
Airguns, in many ways are superior to firearms. Here are a few ways.
  • The ammunition, even PREMIUM ammunition is far less expensive. You can shoot an airgun more cheaply than even a rimfire.
  • The ammunition is far more compact. Imagine going out for a long day of shooting and putting 500 rounds of ammunition in your shirt pocket as you walk out the door.
  • Cleaning is only rarely required.
  • You can safely shoot an airgun in your own home with only minimal precautions and without any concerns about airborne lead or elaborate backstops.
  • In many areas you can legally shoot an airgun in your backyard even within city limits.
  • You can safely shoot a conventional airgun using conventional airgun pellets upwards into the air as long as you have 400 yards of downrange safe area. Contrast that with more than a mile of downrange safe area required for shooting any solid projectile firearm, even rimfires into the air.
  • It's been my experience that airgun triggers & sights tend to be superior to what is found on comparably priced firearms.
Old July 6, 2008, 06:38 PM   #19
flyby

Actually they have a new 400rd Drozd BB SMG out now 'the Blackbird' the fun expensive way to eliminate those pesky pests

Personally I went with both a Crosman 2250 and a 2240(both in .22) for a little roof rat explosion we had here in S.Fl a while back..they worked well for the task and are solidly built and very affordable to boot ..I agree with the others if you might be using for any small rodent type pests definitely stay with a .22cal for the extra smack down power.
http://www.pyramydair.com/p/crosman-...2-pistol.shtml
http://www.pyramydair.com/p/crosman-...on-stock.shtml
http://www.pyramydair.com/p/Drozd-MP...-co2-gun.shtml
Old July 6, 2008, 09:12 PM   #20
.351winchester

I had problems with every Daisy CO2 pistol I've had, while my Crosmans went on and on. Usually to do with some kind of seal problem where all the gas would rush out as soon as the cylinder was seated (and quickly)...they just wore out after a while. A couple 1911 types, a .44 Mag looking one: My fave Crosman was a P-38 clone BB pisol, even though the trigger would make a Sigma feel like a match 1911. I'd love to find the Crosman AIR 17 and Z-77's for sale, snap them up in a second. Never took to airsoft, though want to pick up one of those select fire M1 Thompsons. Might be a lot of fun for plinking during commercial breaks on a rainy day, or running off pests. Can't find a place that will ship them here, airsofts have to be clear plastic to own, and also pellet pistols (and black powder, and long guns under 30") must be registered as handguns. Seriously. You can get an AK with 75 rd. drum in a private sale with zero paper, but a pellet pistol needs a purchase permit to buy.
Those Drozds look fun as hell.
Old July 7, 2008, 06:19 AM   #21
rogertc1

Probably after the election and the Dems sink their claws in all we can own is BB guns. Registered of course.
Old July 7, 2008, 07:06 AM   #22
FlyfishTom

Pistol

I have thousands and thousands of pellets through my Beeman P-1. I'm not sure it is still available in .22. Great pistol.
Old July 7, 2008, 09:13 AM   #23
tulsamal

I have to agree that I FAR prefer a .22 over a .177 if the gun will be used for shooting pests. I've shot birds with high velocity .177 pellets and it zipped right through them. The wound track is just too slim. If you don't hit the heart or head directly, you won't get a clean kill. But a .22 wadcutter anywhere in the chest usually makes a solid "whack" and the bird falls over. Usually starlings in my case.

(I'm talking about handguns. When you move up to a full power rifle, things change a bit. My starling killing machine is a Beeman HW97 in .20 caliber.)

I was a teenager in the 70's. I bought myself a Crossman pump pistol in .22. That pistol had a really heavy trigger pull. I looked at the design and decided it was all because of that very stiff spring in the grip. They had to make it heavy if the gun was going to be "safe" with only 2-3 pumps in it. (As you pumped it up, the pressure caused the trigger pull to go up.) Since I used it only as a bird hunting gun, I figured I could get away with cutting a few coils off. When I was done it was perfectly safe with ten pumps in it and the trigger wasn't bad at all. I used to roll birds all the way across the back yard from our elevated porch nearly every time.

That gun hasn't worked in years though. If you work the pump handle, you hear air being released as you complete the stroke. I don't know if that is a seal problem or what. I've wanted to buy a new one several times but I always change my mind when I see they don't make them in .22 anymore. So I've also considered that Benjamin pump pistol just because I could get it in the caliber I prefer. I always wanted a Sheridan Silver Streak when I was a kid but just couldn't afford one. That really is too bad if the quality has finally killed off the utility of those designs!

Gregg
Old July 7, 2008, 10:51 AM   #24
stephen426

Does anyone know of a .22 cal air pistol that fires multiple rounds? I wish Crosman still made something like the 2210. I think they could adapt their revolver to fire .22 caliber pelelts.
Old July 7, 2008, 02:08 PM   #25
Slopemeno

Tulsamal- thats a bad exhaust valve. Those are repairable.