The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 2, 2008, 08:27 PM   #1
roadracer36

40+ year old Marlin 30/30

I'm brand new on the forum and I have an active F.F.L. in Florida , And I have a buddy that was wondering what his 40+ year old Marlin 30/30 was worth ? I'm not that well versed in the older weapons to even give him a fair estimate on what it is worth...!?
The rifle itself is in what I would concider "good" condition , the wood shows that it has been handled and used to hunt through the years..., the barrel has worn bluing , and some very light surface rust in a couple places , but over all it looks like a old hunting rifle ,but the action works great and has been taken care of , and not a closet queen....
Can anyone or everyone give me their estimate on what this rifle may be worth ?
Thanks so much!
Ron
Old July 2, 2008, 08:55 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Here is where to go for that...
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php
They are a real helpful bunch.
This second site will age the rifle to an exact year of manufacture...
http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php
It is going to come in around 2-3 hundred. What are the specs? Barrel length, is it straight stock or pistol grip? does it have a little "bullseye" on the rear stock? that indicates it is a true walnut stock rather than walnut finish.
BTW this post belongs in the "hide" under "the art of the rifle"....
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; July 2, 2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: To note post in wrong spot for best help.
Old July 3, 2008, 08:17 PM   #3
bobn

dont sell that old marlin short. if it has a square bolt like thier pistol carbines do it is worth a lot more money even if well used. as brent suggested find out what vintage it is,,,,,bobn
Old July 3, 2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Tom2

If it had the square bolt, would it not be a model 36 and so marked? As for value in the condition described, well he probably won't get rich selling it, so if it is a good shooter, keep it as such and take care of it. It shows the durability of the design that it will keep shooting for so many years. If he wants to fix it up and refinish it, I don't see that affecting collectability or anything like that. Not if it is a modern postwar 336.
Old July 3, 2008, 11:24 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Well, 40 years ago was only 1968....

And some of us still remember back that far.

You say you consider it in "good" condition. OK, but get a copy of the NRA standards for a better reference. They used to be somewhere in every copy of the shotgun news, and should also be somewhere in the Blue book of gun values. It is important that all of us are on the same page when discussing the condition, because what might be "good" to you might only be "fair" to someone else. The NRA standards have been in use for many years, and specify things like % remaning of original finish, wear of sharp edges, markings, etc. New, as New, Exellent, Good, Fair, poor, etc. all these are defined.

Unless your friend's Marlin is something unique and collectable, then the value is the same as any used gun in its condition, a base value from make, model, and caliber, modified by condition, and by local demand. Some guns are more popular in some areas than others, and can bring a premiun on the price because of it. Probably in the $2-300 range, but local demand, and general prices may change this. Only a few years ago a used .30-30 (other than collectable) was in this range, or less, but everything has gone up lately. Winchester 94s that were selling for $250 jumped to $400 around here when Winchester went belly up, as many people thought that they would instantly become valuable collectors pieces and started buying them. Dealers jacked up the price to make money off the "boom" market while it lasted. Didn't mean the rifles were worth any more, only that they were selling for more, for a while.
Old July 4, 2008, 09:38 AM   #6
CraigC

I agree 40yrs is not very old for an american made levergun. Not much has changed since then for Marlin. With rare exception, somewhere in the $200-$300 price range. Which is not to say that they are cheap or inexpensive guns, because they are not. They just made a hell of a lot of them.