The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 28, 2008, 02:11 PM   #1
fnewguy

CCW: Colt Mustang vs. Colt Detective Special

I'm looking for some opinions from people who've may have owned either a Colt Mustang .380, and/or a Colt detective Special as a CCW. I have yet to acutally handle a detective special, i only know what i've read and seen online.
At some point, I hope to have both guns, and which gun i get first will really depend on whichever deal crosses my path soonest. However, whether i decide on the mustang or the dick special for my concealed carry gun will definfitely inspire me to hunt for one or the other.

I have, however, recently come across a nickel mustang in "excellent" condition. Wow, the Colt Mustang felt unbelievable in my hand, and seemed to be the perfect size for pocket carry. How do they shoot? Because this will only be my second gun, so I definitely plan to shoot it some too.

Which is the nicer gun to shoot, the Colt Mustang, or the Colt Detective Special? And which is better/easier/more comfortable/more concealable;the dick special or the mustang???
Old June 28, 2008, 10:38 PM   #2
thallub

I have a MK IV Series 80 .380. The Series 80 has a .50" longer barrel than the Mustang and weighs 3 ounces more. It is a good gun for hot weather packing.

Good luck with your Mustang.
Old June 28, 2008, 11:08 PM   #3
Creature

My Colt DS (3rd gen) is a dream to shoot. It holds six and the trigger is, well, only as Colt can make it.

I purchased that DS NIB is smmoth as ice and it breaks as clean as the proverbial glass rod. I have only put a dozen rounds through it since purchasing it. My old S&W Model 36 (my daily carry gun) needed a few years and a couple hundred rounds to get as nice as that DS's trigger. My DS remains a safe queen.

Personally, I found the Mustang was a bit on the twitchy side...my brother has one and it is VERY finicky about which ammo it will digest. To this day, it will only reliably shoot ball ammo. He says he has shot well over 500 rounds through it and it still feels like it isnt "broke in" yet.
Old June 28, 2008, 11:52 PM   #4
Majic

The DS will be the easier to shoot but the Mustang will conceal better.
Old June 29, 2008, 02:47 AM   #5
Creature

The DS will conceal just as well...though I will say that the Mustang might be more comfortable to carry IWB.
Old June 29, 2008, 08:08 AM   #6
ajaxinacan

I own a beautiful detective special, and have carried it on many occasions. It's easy to conceal and light enough that I sometimes forget I'm carrying it.

It's the best revolver I've ever owned. These days, I carry a semi-auto exclusively, but the one gun I'll never part with for any price is that little Colt.

Best purchase I ever made. I highly recommend one.
Old June 29, 2008, 08:29 AM   #7
JollyRoger

I have handled and shot an older DS, and they are very cool, but they are slightly larger than a J-frame S&W, which is about the upper limit for pocket carry IMHO. I owned a Mustang (steel frame, not pocket-lite) when they first came out, and it was a dream to shoot. The locked-breach design really takes the bite out of the .380, and it fed everything just fine. Sights are low-profile, but very usable. It was very easy to pocket carry as well. Carrying cocked and locked in the pocket made me nervous, but it has a firing pin safety as well as a half-cock notch, so hammer-down carry was safe and it was easy to thumb cock on the way out. Wish I hadn't sold it. Don't know what I was thinking.
Old June 29, 2008, 10:27 AM   #8
KyJim

I own a Mustang (steel) and a Cobra (alloy version of the DS). The Mustang is more concealable because it is flatter. I carry the Mustang in a pocket holster and it conceals better than a SW J-frame in the pocket. The DS is slightly larger that a SW J-frame.

The Mustang shoots better to boot. I guess I should say that I shoot it better than my Corbra. The Mustang is surprisingly accurate for such a small gun with small sights and the single action trigger is conducive to good shooting. My Cobra's trigger is typical Colt, smooth but still a double action trigger. A good standard pressure .38 spl from the DS will be more potent than a .380.

In the end, it's just personal preference. If I had to choose only one, it would be the Mustang.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old June 29, 2008, 05:34 PM   #9
Tom2

Better make up your mind pretty soon. Horse brand guns are constantly going up in value and if you wait a year or two, well I hope you are made of money. Personally I would want the 380 Gov't model which is the full sized pocket pistol, for myself. But for what they retail for, you can get alot more than 380 nowadays.
Old June 29, 2008, 05:41 PM   #10
model18

mustang vs. ds

I carry both a Colt Gov't .380 and S&W model's 642 or 38 "j" frame and never feel "undergunned" with either, although I prefer a .38 spec. revo for self def. Go with what works for you!
Old June 29, 2008, 08:12 PM   #11
joegator

I have a like new pocket-lite Mustang. The gun is a good shooter and relatively accurate with low recoil. It disappears in the pocket and weighs about 12 ounces. In lieu of the prices they are bringing in I have it locked up as an investment. As was mentioned you better grab one while you can the prices are skyrocketing for them.
Old June 29, 2008, 08:14 PM   #12
DMMikey

Agree with most of above. The DS is just a little too big, and maybe more than a little too heavy, for pocket carry. The Cobra would solve the weight problem, but at the expense of comfort while shooting. The DS trigger is very good for a snub revolver, and it is relatively easy to shoot accurately.
Even at this weight I start to feel some hand discomfort after about 3-4 cylinders. Nothing that forces me to quit, but its there.
No experience with the Mustang, but I do admire it.
Old June 29, 2008, 09:40 PM   #13
doc540

I'd like to own and carry a Mustang, but my carry method prevents it. I have to use a SmartCarry holster and the Mustang's grip spur digs into my gut when sitting.

On the other hand, the DS with a bobbed hammer is ideal for my purposes. It doesn't snag, shoots 6 times with .38 Speer Gold Dot's, and the weight of the frame makes shooting it comfortable and accurate.

DS gets my vote.

And, last time I checked, Mustangs are getting very pricey while DS's are still available in the $300-$400 range.

Old June 30, 2008, 12:40 PM   #14
Flame Red

I pocket carry.

I have both and don't CCW my Mustang since I found a Colt Pony. I like the double action on the Pony better than the Mustang. I never felt comfortable with the Mustang cocked and locked. It does not have the same safety mechansims as the 1911 (not even close). So when I used to CCW the Mustang it was in Condition 2 - (yeah, I know - big no no).

I don't CCW a DS, but use a Magnum Carry with 38 Special +P. Not sure a DS could handle those.

Most of the time I find myself CCWing the Pony because it conceals better as the other said. But the Magnum Carry is not really bad either and it still makes the rounds pretty frequently when I have deep enough pockets.
Old June 30, 2008, 01:49 PM   #15
Yankee Traveler

I had a Silver Stallion (Bought it for the Ex....think about that gun that got away almost every day...) which was a nickel version of the Mustang with fake ivory or pearl grips. That thing shot amazing. Very accurate and very concealable. Ate everything I put through it. I could put them all in the 10 ring from 25 yards which I felt was damn good for a 3" (2 3/4"?) barrel.
Old July 1, 2008, 08:11 PM   #16
j-a-r

I have owned and carried many Colt Detective specials and thier variants, the cobra and agents. I carried a DS for many years as a back and off duty gun. With the right holster it's comfortable to carry. Although the lighter cobra/agents are easier for pocket carry due to thier lighter weight.

J-a-r
Old July 2, 2008, 12:45 AM   #17
Hagar the Republican

I would love to have either, but I have really wanted a DS for a loooong time. The prices I have seen on them around here have been $500-600. Guess I'll have to settle for my 2.5" and 3" Smith K frames, and keep my 638 in my pocket.
Old July 2, 2008, 01:21 AM   #18
gvf

Quote:
I would love to have either, but I have really wanted a DS for a loooong time. The prices I have seen on them around here have been $500-600. Guess I'll have to settle for my 2.5" and 3" Smith K frames, and keep my 638 in my pocket.
Look in your local stores' used. I got mine a year ago for $289. There's one at the same place now for $350 (not original grips though) - if interested in latter PM me and I'll give you store info. (I'm in Western NY).