The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 27, 2008, 02:02 AM   #1
Elvishead

Ruger LCP surprise report

I was at the range Monday just doing some lesurly target pratice to blow off some steam, ohhh,..... and I guess practice with my snubbies .38s.

When I ran into somebody I had met before at the range that is a friend of a friend. She had a Ruger LCP laying on her shooting bench. So I unscrupulously asked her how she liked it (she didn't), and if I could shoot it. She said sure go ahead. Well, I didn't have any .380 ammo so I had to borrow a few (3-4) from her.

She warned me about the long, hard trigger pull, and I thought to my self, "Lady, I own a S&W Sigma". Low and behold I couldn't even get the gun to fire unless I used the very tip of my finger. It was just way to small for my Med-Large hands with long fingers. And when I did shoot it, I missed point of aim, and missed the whole target but I was shooting at the edge of her mangled target. Why people do that, floors me. So I collected my self for the second shot (At 7 yards). Slowly, took my time and got it about 2"-2" Low-right. 3rd shot one inch off target but it seemed like it took me forever to keep it steady. I was thinking to my self, I'd would be dead by now if the BG wouldn't hold still for me, and let me shoot first.

I didn't get a full range season with the gun, but it was the hardest gun I have ever shot.

I was seeing one in my near future, but I think I'll settle with my Airweight for now.

I think I see a Beretta Bobcat 22lr in my future. I rather have an accurate 22lr than an inaccurate LCP .380.

Please don't take my word for it. I guess it's a 5 yard or shorter gun. But I only shot a few rounds through it

Try one for your self before coming to a conclusion. It's probably a good gun, or there wouldn't be a market for it.

Sorry Ruger*, I still love your guns.

Elvishead/Brian
Old June 27, 2008, 02:09 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

I have not shot the Ruger, but am very familiar with the Keltec it was copied from.
Because one can't accurately shoot a gun does not mean the gun is inaccurate. The trigger pulls on these guns are better than most modern D/A revolvers. if you had trouble with the Ruger, the first shot (D/A) from the Beretta will be just as bad.
Small guns like this have to be learned.
Old June 27, 2008, 02:22 AM   #3
ranburr

I have one and all I can say is either she had a bad one or you need to learn to shoot. The trigger is no where near as bad as a Sigma. I can keep all my shots in a pie plate at 7yds as fast as I can pull the trigger.
Old June 27, 2008, 03:20 AM   #4
hoytinak

Mine shoots POA easily from 3-15 yrds...if I take my time and actually aim I can constently hit our 8" plates at the 25 yrd line.
Old June 27, 2008, 04:00 AM   #5
Teppo Sensei

if the trigger is as smooth and as light as my keltec p32 i would think i will like the LCP
i shot my friends P3AT and thought it was the same as my p32 with a little more recoil
groups well for a small gun
my only complaint is the long trigger pull
maybe i can modify the trigger bar = incress trigger pull - shorten travel
manual slide lock is point less -when would you use it??

i plan on buying a p3at or lcp
the lcp is a lil wider .83 p3at .77 kahr pm9 .90
Old June 27, 2008, 04:49 AM   #6
roman3

No way is the trigger pull that bad, she must have had a bad one. I can pump all 7 rounds into the target with ease, even using hot rounds that are not fun to shoot.

A pocket gun is not a range competition gun and to expect it to be is silly.

The slide lock allows to open the gun to cool it off at the range or to make cleaning easier, and although I haven't had one, it might help in clearing a jam.
Old June 27, 2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Boarhunter

I suspect she has a lemon. Mine is very nice, as are those purchased by a number of my police buddies for use as back-ups. Consider testing another one before writing them off altogether.

Boarhunter
Old June 27, 2008, 11:05 AM   #8
buzz_knox

I didn't have a problem pulling the trigger on the one I tried, although the way it resets through me off a bit. I'd have to let it all the way out rather than ride the reset as I usually do.
Old June 27, 2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Gatorhugger

Both my LCP's have a way too long pull. Its annoying. I also have a P3at that is much more comfortable and "shootable" , so go figure.
May be the same design, but the KT is easier to handle, hold on to, and the trigger pull is definitely shorter. I like the looks of my LCP better, like to shoot the P3at better.
Old June 27, 2008, 11:35 PM   #10
Elvishead

To say I can't shoot?

I do agree with some of you, there is something wrong, or I perceive there's something wrong. I wonder if the LCP can be adjusted to break sooner.

As far as me not be able to shoot that some of you may have insinuated. I not a bad shot, even with my 3 snubbies, and I have shot around 30-40 different models of handguns with the Beretta Bobcat being the smallest, all with good results.

Like I said, I only shot 3-4 shot's out of it. "But that's just my first impression", as it was the other two range masters that had shot the LCP, and they felt the same way, to quote (Al) one of them "It's a peace of crap". American shooters club, in Vegas store #1.

One thing about the LCP I shot, was the trigger, it had to be pulled all the way to the end of it's travel before it would finally break. If the trigger broke sooner, I'm sure it would have been much easier to shoot. But I'm not going to write it off yet!

PS, your all invited the Las Vegas to show me how to shoot. I'm usually at the American Shooters on Monday, call and ask for Brian the 8 shot .357 dude.

Elvishead

Quote:
The trigger is no where near as bad as a Sigma.
My point exactly.

Last edited by Elvishead; June 28, 2008 at 02:41 AM.
Old June 28, 2008, 12:31 AM   #11
1911Gurl

Has to be a problem with the gun that she should get checked out. Besides my own I know others with LCPs and none of us have had any problems with the triggers or anything else so far. I can't wait for some aftermarket sights though. The ones on the gun are okay, but it could definitely use better. Hopefully Novaks will come up with something in a tritium set up, if they haven't already. I need to go to their site and see. Erin
Old June 28, 2008, 12:54 AM   #12
Wuchak

The only thing for her to do is immediately sell it to me for $100 just to be rid of the awful thing.
Old June 28, 2008, 03:53 AM   #13
Wildalaska

Quote:
PS, your all invited the Las Vegas to show me how to shoot.
Cool can I have some spending money too

WildletsstayinmandalaybayAlaska TM
Old June 28, 2008, 10:19 AM   #14
BanditSRT8

You handled a bad example is all.

I bought mine because the trigger was smoother than most everything else in its class, including the Seecamp I had in my other hand at the time of purchase.

Sure it's a long pull... its a DAO pocket gun with no external safeties... damn well better be a long trigger pull. But mine is smooth as butter.
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old June 29, 2008, 02:45 AM   #15
Elvishead

Quote:
BanditSRT8

You handled a bad example is all.

I bought mine because the trigger was smoother than most everything else in its class, including the Seecamp I had in my other hand at the time of purchase.

Sure it's a long pull... its a DAO pocket gun with no external safeties... damn well better be a long trigger pull. But mine is smooth as butter.
Bandit,

does your LCP break like I described? All the way to the end? I had to use the very tip of my finger which I'm not used to using. But I did only shot about 3-4 rounds.

Maybe the gun needs to be cleaned and/or re-lubed. I'll talk to the lady next time I see her. She really hates the gun, and she's a really good shooter.
Old December 25, 2008, 04:31 PM   #16

Yeah you have to use the tip of your finger. If you use the joint like shooting revolvers, LCP won't shoot sometimes.

Mine isn't accurate also. I can shoot 1" group at 7yds two hands standing with my Glock 19 but I could only shoot fist sized group with my Ruger LCP before the recall. I had the safety recall done and I can only shoot basketball size groups at 7 yds now... I think they messed up the chamber. They did some work to the chamber to get rid of jams with some ammunitions.
Old December 25, 2008, 07:59 PM   #17
Sturmgewehre

Just because you're unable to use a particular firearm doesn't make the firearm faulty.

Click to watch.

Old December 25, 2008, 10:02 PM   #18
varoadking

I'll never understand why people insist on buying such useless garbage...
Old December 25, 2008, 10:04 PM   #19
orionengnr

Just got my LCP back from the recall a few days ago. Took it to the range and put 50 through it yesterday.

Been a while since I shot it, so the first mag was slow...and not terribly enjoyable. Got my LCP-specific grip back, and started shooting as fast as my range allows--one round per second (give or take) .

This was at seven yards, and I put 50 rounds into a "pattern" that would be entirely acceptable for SD shooting (smaller than pie plate size) albeit unworthy of bragging.

Turns out I shot it better as I shot it faster. Although I still have my doubts about the cartridge, my confidence in the pistol (and my ability to shoot it) is growing rapidly.

Quote:
I'll never understand why people insist on buying such useless garbage...
One man's junk is another man's treasure...
Old December 25, 2008, 11:28 PM   #20
B.N.Real

You might want to think twice about that 22 Beretta.

I owned one and it was less than happiness instilling.

She needs to send that LCP back to Ruger.

The stalled trigger may mean it's about to fail.
Old December 26, 2008, 08:00 AM   #21
Kreyzhorse

I've got a Ruger LCP and while the trigger is a long, long pull, its smooth and fairly accurate. I've got large hands, which makes it more difficult to control, but rapid fire at 7 yards and the gun is still accurate enough to drop a full mag on target. Slow fire and the gun is plenty accurate at 7 yards.

Sounds like she has a funky trigger on hers.
Old January 19, 2009, 06:19 PM   #22
Elvishead

Quote:
B.N.Real:

You might want to think twice about that 22 Beretta.

I owned one and it was less than happiness instilling.

She needs to send that LCP back to Ruger.

The stalled trigger may mean it's about to fail.
I have not seen her in a while, but I will check with her next time, and see what new guns she has too. She is always buying handgun's esp 1911s.

I went and bought the Beretta Bobcat 22lr, and it does have some feeding issues that I've yet to sort out, but it's still a great warm up gun at the range.
Old January 19, 2009, 07:33 PM   #23
gglass

Elvishead - Learn to shoot the weapon you are reviewing... A couple of bullets down range does not constitute experience with any firearm.

If you can't hold a 5" patter at 15-yards with this gun, then you might need vision correction.

As an FYI... The "long & hard trigger pull" on guns like the LCP and P-3AT is the only safety on the weapon for those who actually carry in Condition 1. This is the same safety that you will find as a requirement on many LE department handguns, and is referred to as a "NY Trigger".

This review was complete drivel.

I do agree that your .22 cal pea-shooter serves you well.... Stay safe.

Last edited by gglass; January 19, 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old January 19, 2009, 07:42 PM   #24
OldCorp

Wife has a KelTec P3AT. I have large hands and find it difficult to shoot with any pleasing accuracy. There's just not enough to hold on to!
She has small hands and can routinely shoot palm-sized groups at 15 yds., so I know it's not the gun.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:09 PM   #25
btolliverjr

Elvishead,
These types of guns, like snubbies, take practice to get good with. As you stated in your OP, your first shot missed the target, 2nd shot missed POA by 2" low and 2" right, 3rd shot missed by 1" Sounds to me like even with the limited practice you had (3 shots) you were getting better already. How could you write off the accuracy of the LCP with only 3 shots (especially when you were getting better with the more shots you took). Your 4th shot may have been a bullseye from the sounds of your progression you didn't hit a direct bullseye with your first shot with a snubbie did you? I bet it also took a little practice

If you don't believe in the accuracy of the LCP, just watch the video posted by Sturmgewehre above. He is knocking down bowling pins from what looks to be 7-10 yards rapid fire with no problem.

Quote:
Both my LCP's have a way too long pull. Its annoying. I also have a P3at that is much more comfortable and "shootable" , so go figure.
May be the same design, but the KT is easier to handle, hold on to, and the trigger pull is definitely shorter. I like the looks of my LCP better, like to shoot the P3at better.
Gatorhugger,
Why then do you have 2 LCPs instead of 2 KTs?