The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 25, 2008, 10:10 AM   #1
grampi

What's the best bulk 22 rimfire ammo?

Federal has a box of 550 rounds for like $12 at Wally World, and I think Remington and a couple other companies have bulk ammo like this. Are any of them any good, and what I mean by that is can they all be used in auto loaders with no or minimal FTF or FTE issues? I have a Marlin model 60 I'd like to use them in.
Old June 25, 2008, 10:58 AM   #2
sholling

I've used both Federal and Remington bulk pack and they feed well in all of mine. Just don't expect target level accuracy and do expect a dud now and again.

A step up is Federal AutoMatch $14/325rds @ wallyworld. It feels well in my rifles, but not my Beretta NEOS pistol. It's much more accurate than the 550rd bricks, duds are few but it's still not match level accurate. Good practice ammo. Just beware that there were a few bad lots that made it into the channel. The bad lots are safe to shoot but wildly inaccurate.
Old June 25, 2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Scorch

For just a few pennies more, you can buy American Eagle 22LR ammo or Federal Champion 22LR ammo by the brick (500 rounds), and accuracy and consistency are far better than any of the bulk packs.
Taylor Machine
Old June 25, 2008, 11:36 AM   #4
Pahoo

The last feeding problems that I had with bulk, was with the Federals from Wal-Mart and found they were underloaded. Worked just fine on bolt actions but not in my new 10/22. Remington bulk seems to be okay now but did have a problem in the past with Thunderbolts. Generally when it counts, I do not trust any bulk packs. I just keep going back to Minimags, Wildcats and Win. Super-X.

Be Safe
Old June 25, 2008, 11:39 AM   #5
azredhawk44

I have been disappointed a couple of different times by both the Remington and Federal 550 round bulk packs, and now I buy the Federal Auto Match bricks instead. I shoot that in my Marlin 795 and Taurus 94 with great satisfaction.
Old June 25, 2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

I used to be fine with Federal bulk packs, & I did just use them for the last Apple Seed Shoot I attended, as did a couple of my buddys ( all bought at Walmart ) ... we ran into a few deformed bullets, but no other "real" issues... in the last Remington bulk pack my buddy bought, there was a very noticable volume difference between each shot, & the accuracy was awefull... I had serious isues with Remington Thunder Bolt Bulk several years ago...

so are the Federal American Eagle rounds in boxes of 50, 10 to a bigger box ??? rather than bulk packed ??? I'd about bet they were manufactured off the same line, just might have better bullet conformity, not being bulk packed
Old June 25, 2008, 11:57 AM   #7
Wyatt Earp

I shoot the Winchester Super X bulk out of my 10/22. For some reason the Remington bulk would not feed well in mine or my brothers 10/22's. I squirrel hunt and shoot most everything else with the Winchesters with no problems.

Wyatt
Old June 25, 2008, 02:05 PM   #8
gandog56

550 rounds? My last .22LR purchase was 2500 rounds.
Old June 25, 2008, 02:06 PM   #9
Scorch

Quote:
so are the Federal American Eagle rounds in boxes of 50, 10 to a bigger box ???
Copper-plated are in boxes of 40 (I always shoot copper-plated, less mess), lubricated lead are in boxes of 50. A brick is always 10 boxes, so in the case of copper-plated it would be 400 rounds rather than the typical 500. Federal Champions are very good, too. Much better than bulk packs.

Quote:
I'd about bet they were manufactured off the same line, just might have better bullet conformity, not being bulk packed
Many companies have their bulk-packed ammo manufactured for them by the lowest-cost supplier. For example, Remington used to have their bulk-packs made in Mexico or Honduras. Lowest cost generally equals lowest quality.
Taylor Machine
Old June 25, 2008, 02:41 PM   #10
T.A.Sharps

Best bulk ammo?

Close your eyes, point at two boxes, take those two then flip a coin.
Old June 25, 2008, 02:48 PM   #11
nemoaz

I threw the last bunch of Remington I had away, about 1 in 10 wouldn't fire at all in any of my 22s.

I've had much better luck with the Federal. It feeds fine in my Marlin and Ruger. I've been buying two every paycheck or so, just as an Obama hedge.
Old June 25, 2008, 03:02 PM   #12
webbee

I find the Federal Bulk 550 is great for plinking and feeds/shoots out of all my .22's. I used to like Winchester Dynapoints but they are over $25, approaching $30, for 500 vs $13 for Fed Bulk. For serious shooting I use CCI Minimags. I'm not a bencher so can't say about ammo used for match/serious target shooting,

Remington bulk is dirty, inaccurate, junk in my .22's opinion. Winchester X-pert and Wildcats I've never shot. Winchester Super-X is great, but I don't see it that often, or I would shoot more of it.

All .22 barrels are different and like different ammo, even among the same models. The only way to know for sure is to run some tests on different ammo through your various guns. If I get one that doesn't like the ammo I shoot...well I don't have it very long.
Old June 25, 2008, 03:11 PM   #13
gadgetguy1288

ive got one of the original Model 60's that given to me by my grandfather who bought it the first year they came out, and it will eat anything i feed it, and ive tried everything ive run across, the bulk packs are great for just going to the range and venting when your stressed

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government, or in the case of a zombie outbreak."
Old June 25, 2008, 03:28 PM   #14
JWT

CCI and Federal bulk pack would be my choice. The 'waxy' substance on the Remington goldies causes problems (jams) in some of my semi auto handguns. Have never had a problem with either Federal or CCI and will buy either when they're on sale.
Old June 25, 2008, 03:33 PM   #15
grampi

"ive got one of the original Model 60's that given to me by my grandfather who bought it the first year they came out, and it will eat anything i feed it, and ive tried everything ive run across, the bulk packs are great for just going to the range and venting when your stressed"

Stressed or not, there's not too many things more fun than setting up a bunch of cans, plastic bottles, milk jugs, etc, 50-100 yards down range and just blasting the crap out of it as fast as you can pull the trigger! Bulk ammo is best for doing just that (as long as it'll feed in your gun).
Old June 25, 2008, 03:37 PM   #16
grampi

I keep seeing people recommend CCI bulk ammo. Now there's certainly nothing wrong with CCI's ammo (in fact, it's probably one of the best available), but I just don't consider any of their ammo "bulk" ammo because it's so damn expensive no matter how much you buy at a time. The whole idea behind bulk ammo is being able to buy it inexpensively. The price of CCI's kind of defeats that purpose.
Old June 25, 2008, 03:41 PM   #17
grampi

Here's the next question; where are you guys buying your ammo? Is it possible to buy it online as cheaply as buying it locally when you figure in the cost of shipping? I would rather buy my ammo locally, but if you're looking for the lowest price you end up with a very limited selection (like when buying at Wally World), or you have to buy it from a sporting goods store and their prices generally aren't very good.
Old June 25, 2008, 03:44 PM   #18
DaveBeal

In my Buckmark pistol, Ive found that CCI Blazer is much more reliable than any other bulk ammo. WalMart doesnt sell Blazer, but Sportmans Warehouse does; its about $16 per brick. When I care about accuracy, I use CCI Standard Velocity.
Old June 25, 2008, 03:46 PM   #19
VUPDblue

Federal bulk .22's run 99.9% in my M16...
Old June 25, 2008, 05:11 PM   #20
rcsoar4fun

I have been running Federal in my M60 and it likes it just fine. Stay away from the Winchester, the bullets are bare lead and coated with wax. I had several FTF and the stuff left the gun a mess compared to Federal. I also shot the cheap Remington, it was alright, just like Federal better.
Old June 25, 2008, 06:19 PM   #21
mikejonestkd

Federal 550 bulk packs are my first choice for plinking. Another good choice is the federal 325 automatch packs. I probably go through 10-15K a year of .22 plinking ammo and rarely have issues with them.
Old June 25, 2008, 07:42 PM   #22
Redneck with a 40

I shoot the federal 550 bulk packs from wally world and have had good performance from them.
Old June 25, 2008, 07:55 PM   #23
cerberus65

I've been getting the 550 packs of Remington and Federal at wallyworld. My [limited] experience has been 1 failure to eject (due to a light charge) out of a box of 550 Remingtons and 4 failures to fire out of about half a box of 550 Federals.
Old June 25, 2008, 07:59 PM   #24
crowbeaner

I just finished setting the sights on my new-to-me Remington 512. My kid is amazed that I can shoot daisies off the stem with it at 30 yards. I can still see the opens and he has trouble hitting them with a 4x scope. I sighted in with the Federal bulk pack of 550, and I ran some RP bulk through it as well as WW Super-X and WW 100 pack of lead HP. I haven't convinced the wife that I need some target 22s for serious bullfrog work, but she may relent next payday. Now all I have to do is figure out where the 22 shorts shoot so I can go frogging. My model 60 is very finicky about the ammo I feed it; it won't cycle with the bulkers of any brand, and only runs like it's supposed to with the Super-X. Not like my old small game commemorative; that 60 would eat and shoot just about anything into a half inch at 50. I wish CCI would go back to the bulk packed Minimags like they used to make.
Old June 25, 2008, 09:23 PM   #25
Doyle

Crowbeaner, I sighted my 512 in at about 25 yds with normal bulk federals. Using CCI CB cap shorts, I can still use the same scope setting for squirrels sitting in the tree right above me (I'm guessing 10 yds). I'm guessing that your frog shooting will be less than 25 yds, so your results will probably match mine.