The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 21, 2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Anthony

Heckler & Koch USP Expert in .45 ACP

Hello Everyone,

I just handled the Heckler & Koch USP Expert in .45 ACP and promptly put one i nlayaway for use as a carry gun as I strongly prefer a full 5-inch barrel on a gun in this caliber. Further, this is the only auto that has ever fulfilled ALL of my requirements.

I'm quite pleased.

Can any other owners of the Expert or other USPs in .45 ACP shed some light on their experiences with this series of pistols? Favorite loads? Quirks? Parts to watch for breakage? Etc.

Thank you for your input.

- Anthony
Old June 21, 2008, 08:56 PM   #2
HK123

You'll wear your hand out before the gun.

Just...dunno why an expert for carry.
Old June 21, 2008, 11:53 PM   #3
Anthony

Why a USP Expert?

Many reasons, but I prefer a full size (i.e., duty size) pistol for concealed carry for a number of reasons including a longer sight radius, higher reliability, more usable accuracy in my hands, and superior handling qualities. Most of my CCW background is carrying highly customized versions of the larger Smith & Wesson revolvers with 4-inch barrels. I've carried the 1911 on and off for sometime, but wanted something I could run a more steady diet of +P ammunition through. The USP has a manual safety which is important to me from a weapon retention standpoint. Further, unlike the single action Colt, it can be safely left in a ready condition with its hammer down on a loaded chamber in double action mode with its safety engaged in situations where a cocked and locked position is less than desireable (e.g., anytime the gun is not in a rigid holster).

To a lesser extent when I travel and stay in someone else's home it is often advantageous not to have to rack the slide of a travel pistol to avoid "spooking the horses" as they say. They 1911 requires this more than any other pistol when safety moving from the safety of Condition Three on the nightstand to Condition One for active carry.

Also, I strongly prefer to have the surgical accuracy the USP Expert delivers on tap in case of a medium to long range engagement. This is quite possible in the flat lands of North Texas where I live and the aforementioned flat shooting +P ammo helps make such shots that much easier.

Lastly, I just love the way the gun looks, feels, etc.

- Anthony
Old June 22, 2008, 12:04 AM   #4
HK123

Higher reliability? No, sorry...all HKs are exactly the same reliability.

Anyway if you can conceal it then fine. Personally it's big, much too big for me.
Old June 22, 2008, 07:46 AM   #5
PSP

Quote:
Higher reliability? No, sorry...all HKs are exactly the same reliability.
No. The MK23 is a different beast. Tests prove this and just look at one.

Anthony,
The USP is a great design. For duty carry I see no problem. It is a bit big for concealed carry IMO. I shoot a USP Elite, which is by a good margin the most accurate gun I own. These two share the same trigger, which is light and crisp in SA.

I have shot terrific groups with both quality defensive ammo as well as cheap practice ammo. Blazer Brass gave me some outstanding groups. The only ammo that did not work was Mag Tech First Defence 165gr SCHP, which would not seat properly in the chamber (bullet shape).

I've yet to have a part fail on any of my HKs. My daily CCW is a HK P2000SK.

CDNN carries 10 round mags for $20...great for practice. The 12 rounders are a bit more. Enjoy your new prize...you'll be pleased when you get to shoot it. I did add a Hogue Handall to the grip and I like it, but that's a personal thing.
Old June 22, 2008, 08:05 AM   #6
BlkHawk73

Got a standard USP and the Elite and I can say they've run flawlessly. I can also say i couldn't see either as a carry gun for myself given thier size. Use the P2Ksk for that.
Old June 22, 2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Pilot

I've got the HK USP Tactical .45 which is pretty similar to your Expert. They are soft shooting .45's that can handle hot loads. I mostly shoot standard FMJ through mine including my own handloads with copper plated or FMJ bullets. Never had a hiccup as its been 100% reliable since it came out of the box. I don't carry mine, but that doesn't mean you couldn't. Its a large gun, but not really larger than a regular, full size USP which some people carry. Well except for the threaded barrel which wears a thread protector or flash suppresor.
Old June 22, 2008, 08:28 AM   #8
quack fiend

I have a USP tactical .45 myself, and have yet to find any brand of ammo that it won't digest, even when it's filthy. I shoot mine suppressed and laser-sighted, and it's a possum's/armadillo's worst nightmare
Old June 22, 2008, 08:35 AM   #9
HK123

Except the Mk.23 isn't even practical. No special ops even used it because it was too large.
Old June 22, 2008, 10:16 AM   #10
jehu

I have a USPf 45 & HK45c both accurate beyond belief. These guns, IMO, make the 1911 obsolete!
Old June 22, 2008, 10:21 AM   #11
hoytinak

Quote:
I have a USPf 45 & HK45c both accurate beyond belief. These guns, IMO, make the 1911 obsolete!
Funny you should say that as I sold my Kimber TLE/RL in order to get my HK45c.
Old June 22, 2008, 10:22 AM   #12
Erik Prins

i would love to get a USP for ccw. if you wear lots of clothing there is no reason you cant keep it concealed and it is not so huge that concealment wont be a problem even in the summer if you are careful

also, i dont mean to hijack the thread but what about the mk23 makes it a different animal?
Old June 22, 2008, 10:38 AM   #13
HK123

Well, the Mk.23 has lots of beefing up. It's large as a result. The testing it went through was very different from any other pistol developed. Waterproofing on key areas, recoil buffering, O-ring barrel. It was never used by SOCOM very much if at all. It remained in the armory and I don't know of any particular op where it was used instead of something smaller and easier to wield.

I'm sure you can look up some of the testing that went into it.

here's a small excerpt from HK's website.

"Among others the following tests had to be passed successfully:

* 30,000 round endurance firing test with + P ammunition
* Extreme temperatures +73°C/-54°C
* 96 hours saline mist test
* Sand, dust and sludge tests
* 96 hour surf simulation
* Harshest drop tests
* Accuracy and the highest precision"

"To meet the reliability requirement, the pistol had to demonstrate a minimum of 2000 mean rounds between stoppage (MRBS). All pistols in the test exceeded the 2000 MRBS with an average of 6000 rounds.

In more than 450 accuracy test firings from a precision firing fixture, MK23 pistols far exceeded the US Government requirement, averaging under 37 mm."
Old June 22, 2008, 11:12 AM   #14
Erik Prins

sounds like a sweet gun. too bad it is so large. could probably be used as a PDW for pilots, tank crews, REMFs etc, instead of as a sidearm for SF guys. (shrug) oh well
Old June 22, 2008, 11:14 AM   #15
Rant Casey

If shtf tomorrow it would be the only handgun i'd grab although it is huge. It's nearly as long as a Desert Eagle. Can't imagine CCWing it though.

Quote:
Except the Mk.23 isn't even practical. No special ops even used it because it was too large.
Old June 22, 2008, 11:36 AM   #16
HK123

If SHTF I'm going for an AK or HK G36 not a pistol of any kind
Old June 22, 2008, 11:45 AM   #17
Chui

Further, unlike the single action Colt, it can be safely left in a ready condition with its hammer down on a loaded chamber in double action mode with its safety engaged in situations where a cocked and locked position is less than desireable (e.g., anytime the gun is not in a rigid holster).

This makes no sense whatsoever.

Why not the HK45? It has the O-ring and match trigger with better ergos which make it easier to carry and shoot.
Old June 22, 2008, 12:04 PM   #18
Erik Prins

that makes perfect sense. if you carry a 1911 with the hammer down you could draw it and forget to pull the hammer or lose time pulling back the hammer. with a DA like the USP you can carry it with the hammer down and not have to worry about it
Old June 22, 2008, 01:26 PM   #19
vox rationis

Quote:
Why not the HK45? It has the O-ring and match trigger with better ergos which make it easier to carry and shoot.
I thought the compact had on O ring and the match trigger also..no?? Also I've handled the full size and it felt huge in my hand, can one really hope to conceal that sucker?

While I carry my USPc Cocked and Locked, when I am forced to mexican carry (a rare event), I like the fact that I can decock the sucker, and put it back on safe (so as to keep the same mall ninja muscle memory ) before stuffing it into my waist band...keeping it DA/SA without the safety on would be secure enough, but since I carry cocked and locked it just makes me feel better to keep the same manual of arms sort of speak.

Also, carrying my full sized USP is a no go for me..it is just too big. Also, since I carry cocked and locked, I like the compact's lower profile safety, and it also has a more positive safety clicking action (at least in my models).

But if I was in the market for a new HK, I'd definitely look at the HK45(c), unless you find an USP at a really good price. Another advantage of the HK45c is that you can use the full size mags, whereas with USP and USPc take different mags.

Last edited by vox rationis; June 22, 2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old June 22, 2008, 01:40 PM   #20
HK123

I've carried my HK45 concealed. I dunno about an all day thing, but if you were determined...

I didn't have a proper holster for it though.
Old June 22, 2008, 01:41 PM   #21
hoytinak

The 45c has the 0-ring but not the match trigger...although to trigger isn't too bad.
Old June 22, 2008, 02:59 PM   #22
HK123

I wish they offered a different trigger for the P30 and HK45c. I guess the LEm is available in limited quantities for the 45c, but not the P30.
Old June 22, 2008, 05:00 PM   #23
Rant Casey

Oh i'm with you on that, that however would be the handgun I'd carry to backup long guns

Quote:
If SHTF I'm going for an AK or HK G36 not a pistol of any kind
Old June 22, 2008, 06:06 PM   #24
Anthony

Thanks for the input, everyone. Do your USPs seem to favor a particular brand or load?
Old June 22, 2008, 06:13 PM   #25
HK123

They work with just about everything, but personally all my guns run with WWB at the range and Corbon DPX as the defense loading.

See what you can find reliably and get cheap enough so you can shoot it often.

Always run a box of your carry load to test (at least one).