The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 20, 2008, 08:16 PM   #1
shepherddogs

Glock 19 Accuracy

Has anyone done any accuracy testing on their 19? What kind of groups would be reasonable at say 25 yards? I had one of these when they first came out but don't really remember about accuracy. They were just sort of a novelty at the time. Thanks for any info.
Old June 20, 2008, 09:33 PM   #2
HorseSoldier

Usual combat pistol kind of accuracy.
Old June 20, 2008, 09:46 PM   #3
BanditSRT8

I have shot IPSC Limited with one, worked terrific.

My TALO has produced single ragged holes at 25 feet. Never had a Glock that wasn't 1911 accurate. All depends on the shooter because the pistol is well capable.
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old June 20, 2008, 11:46 PM   #4
127gr+p+

It's combat accurate. Not sure why anyone would want to shoot a combat pistol at 25 yards though. If your a ccw holder, and you shoot some one at 25 yards your gonna have a lot of explaining to do.
Old June 21, 2008, 06:09 AM   #5
mes228

Glock

Glocks are target accurate pistols. Even without any type of accuracy work most are capable of 2" or so at 25 yards. The problem is the excellent combat trigger - but lousy target trigger. I've had several Model 19's and 23's and 22's. All would shoot 2-3" at 25 yds. from a rest across sand bags. I presently have a Model 23 and a Model 25. Quite accurate but hard to shoot accurately. Glocks are not just good, they are great pistols. In every respect, including accuracy and especially cost. If you only own one pistol it should be a Glock. I prefer shooting 1911 pistols for the trigger and currently own two customs. However I still carry a Glock 23 stoked with Model 22 magazines. Just my opinion.
Old June 21, 2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Glockeroo

My G19 is a tack driver. My G26 is close, but I'm better with the 19.
Old June 21, 2008, 09:52 AM   #7
HK123

Quote:
It's combat accurate. Not sure why anyone would want to shoot a combat pistol at 25 yards though.
If you can do it at the range and be accurate, you know for damn sure that at 7 yards you'll hit the guy comming at you with intentions to do harm, or in the home.

The way I look at it is, if you can hit from distance you can hit close up.
Old June 21, 2008, 10:23 AM   #8
shepherddogs

HK123 is dead on. I sometimes shoot handguns @ 50 yards plus. If you get good at shooting cans @ 50 yards, you don't need to worry about hitting BGs at 7 ft.
Old June 21, 2008, 10:38 AM   #9
Mark P.

The Glock is like any other high-quality firearm and is as accurate as the individual using it.
Old June 21, 2008, 10:49 AM   #10
HK123

Mark P. hit it on the head.

This is also true with any quality firearm from the Used Glock you found at a gun show to the $1200+ Custom 1911. If you practice and are accurate yourself, the gun will be there for you.
Old June 21, 2008, 11:27 AM   #11
LUPUS

Quote:
If you practice and are accurate yourself, the gun will be there for you.
Any quality manufactured pistol, from any seasoned company in gun making will out perform most of the shooters in accuracy. Most shooters are not competent enough to diagnose the difference between the intrinsic mechanical accuracy of the most famous and quality brands.
Most of the time it is the shooter, not the gun.
Regards.
Old June 21, 2008, 01:20 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
If your a ccw holder, and you shoot some one at 25 yards your gonna have a lot of explaining to do.
While it's not a common scenario, it's not unheard of to have a long shot that would be perfectly justified.

The recent mall shooting, the Tyler, TX CHL shooting & the Colorado church shootings were all scenarios where a long shot could have been called for and would have been justified.
Old June 21, 2008, 02:30 PM   #13
Jermtheory

"as accurate as it needs to be" has already been stated,i would also add...

if you are getting the maximum accuracy possible out of it,than you're going too slow and/or need to get off the bench.
Old June 22, 2008, 12:06 PM   #14
Crow61

Quote:
It's combat accurate. Not sure why anyone would want to shoot a combat pistol at 25 yards though. If your a ccw holder, and you shoot some one at 25 yards your gonna have a lot of explaining to do.
Not trying to change course of original poster. But, let's say there is someone who is 30-40 yards away andyou KNOW they intend to do you bodily harm. They start coming your way. You cannot retreat or avoid the situation. Do you wait till they are SEVEN YARDS away before you do something? I ain't!
Old June 22, 2008, 12:17 PM   #15
Jermtheory

i know i'll do my best to make sure no threat gets any closer than i must allow.

20-25(or possibly more) yards is definately a range in which a legitimate threat could be presented.

alot of people see a stat that says "the vast majority of shooting occur at X range" and they start to pretend the world outside of that doesnt exist.
Old June 22, 2008, 12:29 PM   #16
Northalius

Quote:
alot of people see a stat that says "the vast majority of shooting occur at X range" and they start to pretend the world outside of that doesnt exist.
Exactly. We carry for the rare occasion that we'd need the gun in the first place; it'd be a bit odd to not practice for the rare occasion you might be forced to use that gun at 25+ yards, wouldn't it? They've already made the choice to be prepared for one rare occasion, but willingly ignore the preparation of the other? Very strange, indeed.

I say practice at all ranges. Become competent in short, medium and long ranges. Even if it's a fact (but it's not a fact, so...) you'll never need a pistol for long range shooting, it's still fun to see what your pistol and you are capable of! We can practice, but it's not against the law to enjoy that practice at the same time.

Plus, some of us will be going to hunt with our pistols (me, Glock 20 in the future), so that also is another reason for long range shots. If you live in the country and all you have is a pistol for now, and some kind of disaster happens (and they can, especially with seeing how the economy is going, be prepared...), at least you can put food on the table.
Old June 22, 2008, 03:41 PM   #17
varoadking

Quote:
My G19 is a tack driver.
So, you got the one, eh?

Seriously, a Glock is a fine handgun and I own as many or more than you might Glockeroo...and I enjoy shooting them...but a tack driver they are not.

My guess is you've not shot a P7M8, or a P9S, or any SiG...or a BHP for that matter...

Quote:
I presently have a Model 23 and a Model 25.
What caliber is that model 25?

Quote:
My TALO has produced single ragged holes at 25 feet.
It better for what it cost. Most any gun will do the same thing at that range...
Old June 22, 2008, 09:46 PM   #18
allenomics

It's an accurate gun, IMO. My accuracy with the G19 is spot on at seven-ten yards. I'm not nearly as accurate at 25 yards; but I don't blame the gun. For defense, your accuracy from five to 20 feet is key, and my G19 is right on.
Old June 24, 2008, 05:14 PM   #19
scorpiusdeus

Quote:
Quote:
My G19 is a tack driver.
So, you got the one, eh?

Seriously, a Glock is a fine handgun and I own as many or more than you might Glockeroo...and I enjoy shooting them...but a tack driver they are not.
You are addressing the UBERFANBOY of Glock, he will read your words, but he won;t believe you.
Old June 24, 2008, 08:51 PM   #20
varoadking

Quote:
You are addressing the UBERFANBOY of Glock, he will read your words, but he won;t believe you.
I feel a responsibility to try and save him from himself...

Quote:
It's an accurate gun, IMO. My accuracy with the G19 is spot on at seven-ten yards.
Darts can be accurate at 7-10 yards too...
Old June 24, 2008, 09:15 PM   #21
Glockeroo

Quote:
So, you got the one, eh?

My guess is you've not shot a P7M8, or a P9S, or any SiG...or a BHP for that matter...
I've never bought into the gun making someone accurate. No matter what firearm I shoot, I'm a good shot. I'm not the best, but my groups are always tight. It doesn't take me long to adjust to a handgun. It's the shooter who's accurate, not the firearm. It won't matter if you have a $2000 1911 and can't get at least a 4'' group with it. I know people who have expensive firearms and they are not that good of a shot.
Old June 25, 2008, 01:20 AM   #22
LUPUS

Quote:
Not sure why anyone would want to shoot a combat pistol at 25 yards though.
To increase the trigger dicipline.
And it really works. At least for me.

Quote:
I say practice at all ranges. Become competent in short, medium and long ranges.
Couldn't agree more.
Shooting longer distances is a good challenge for your trigger and sight control skills.

Quote:
What caliber is that model 25?
G 25 is the model in .380 ACP / 9 mm Kurz / 9x17 mm with 15 rounds capacity, which is designed especially for the countries such as Brasil where civilians could not get more potent supposed to be Military / LE calibers.
Also, the .380 ACP is still a very popular caliber through out the Europe.
You could have found it easyly by checking the Glock's official website.

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=525&i=g25yt3.jpg][IMG]

Last edited by LUPUS; June 25, 2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old June 25, 2008, 12:00 PM   #23
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Mine will keep empty pop cans bouncing around all day long at 25 yds---Accurate enough for ya??
-------Metallica
Old June 25, 2008, 02:46 PM   #24
shepherddogs

"Its the shooter who's accurate, not the firearm". This couldn't be further from the truth. A great shot with a halfarse gun stands little chance against a fair shot with an accurate gun. I agree skill plays a large part, but without the proper tools you won't win contests.
Old June 25, 2008, 04:34 PM   #25
HorseSoldier

+1 on acceptable but not stellar, mostly due to the trigger. I'm not the biggest fan of the P7, for instance, but one of its pluses is that it makes a middle of the road pistol shooter like me look much better than I am. To get the same group size out of my Glock 19 I have to really slow down and really work the pistol. I'd take either in a gun fight inside seven meters, but if, for some reason, I was in a gun fight at the 25 meter range people have been talking about, the Glock, at least in my hands, would not be the best option out there.
Closed Thread