The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 19, 2008, 07:23 PM   #1
911turbo

Walther PPKS (Date of MFG)

I am looking at a used PPKS at an estate sale. No one knows when or where
it was made. The serial number is 215125. Can anyone help me to determine what year and where the pistol was made? Also, the gun is in very good condition, what should it be worth?

Thanks
Old June 19, 2008, 08:07 PM   #2
PSP

More info as to markings would help.

Some PPKs have a date stamped onto the outside of the chamber, as in the picture, showing 68 as in 1968.
Old June 19, 2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Stiofan

All Walther PPK/S were produced in one of 2 places, France or the US.

In 1968 the US law changed which required Walther to marry the larger PP frame with the shorter PPK slide and barrel, thus the PPK/S was born.

Almost all US guns were either imported by Interarms (will say made in W Germany) but manufactured in France by Manhurin before being sent to Ulm, Germany for proof testing, or when in 1986 the France plant lost it's license to make the PP series and the manufacture was changed to the Interarms contracted plant in the USA (mfg in USA), under Walther supervision. Lastly when Interarms stopped manufacturing (owner died, went out of business), S&W began production in America (mfg. USA) again under Walther supervision. Some parts have always been made for these guns in Ulm, Germany, but final assembly and proofing determines country of manufacture, hence why the French guns will show a German manufacture, as that is where they were proofed and the US guns will show a USA manufacture..

The side of your gun slide should say where it was manufactured, I'm guessing W. Germany, which means at the French factory.

Quote:
"I have owned both Manurhin and Walther produced PPK/S's and the Manurhin guns struck me as being every bit the equal of the German built guns."

That's because they're AREN'T any "German made" PP series pistols, and haven't been any since 1945.

When WWII ended, the Walther plant was completely bombed out. What was left ended up in Russian hands.
The Walther family escaped to the West, bringing with them the critical production plans for the Walther firearms.

When the new West German government wanted to adopt the P-38 pistol, Walther had the plans but no production plant.
Rumor has it, that the French had removed the P-38 production tooling, jigs, and dies from the Mauser plant before finally destroying it.

Walther contracted production of the P-38 and later the PP series guns with the French Manurhin company.

After Walther built a new plant in Ulm, all P-38 production was moved back to Germany, but Walther decided to keep having Manurhin produce the PP series pistols in France under contract.

The guns were manufactured in France, shipped a few miles over the border to Ulm, where they were blued, proof-fired, stamped "Made in Germany", and sold as German-made Walther pistols.

To be fair, in Europe the country where the final proof is conducted is considered the country of manufacture.

So, until Walther contracted with InterArms to have the PPK and PPK/s pistols produced in the US, ALL PP series pistols were actually made in France by Manurhin.

Some of you may remember the Walther/Manurhin "Advertising War" of the mid 1980's.
The license with Manurhin had expired after Walther had the guns produced here, and the Manurhin company decided to market their "own" PPK/s pistols.

Walther's ads said that ONLY Walther-marked guns were "genuine". Manuhrin's ads said that since they had actually made ALL the guns since 1945, THEY were the "genuine" gun.

Somehow Walther and Manurhin resolved the dispute after about a year, and no more Manurhin-marked guns were imported.

A side-by-side comparison of contemporary Walther and Manurhin PPK/s pistols revealed that the guns were in fact produced on the same production machines.
Machine marks were exactly the same on both guns, the plastic box was from the same mold, and the instruction manual for the Manurhin was exactly the same as the Walther manual, except the pictures had the Walther name air-brushed out, and replaced with Manurhin marks.

All through the 50's, 60's and early 70's when the gun magazines had their annual "round-up" articles on pocket autos, they always described the Walther PP series guns as "Typically fine Teutonic quality" and "High quality German craftsmanship".

After the guns started to be produced here in America, they blandly informed us that they'd always known the guns were produced in France.

So, arguments over which is the better gun, a German PP series or a French Manuring PP series gun is a moot point.
They were produced on the same equipment, in the same French plant, by the same French workers.

In short, There AIN'T no "German" PP series guns, and haven't been any since Adolph bit the Big One.
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i...p/t-80222.html

Plenty of other links to document this. So just check the gun slide to see what is stamped there.
Old June 20, 2008, 11:44 AM   #4
Searcher451

911: Head over the P38 Forum and post your inquiry there under the PP/PPK section. The folks who literally wrote the books on these guns reside there and will answer your question within a day or so. Provide as much information about the gun's markings as you can. Here's a link:

http://forums.p38forum.com/forums/
Old June 20, 2008, 08:26 PM   #5
44 Deerslayer

If it was made by Interarms, most of the records are gone. This is a common question on the Walther Forum and usually has no answer.

If you have the original box with test target, that's your best source of a manufacture date since the test targets are dated.

You can try asking at the Walther Forum, they have a PPK/S section.

http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/index.php
Old June 21, 2008, 06:09 PM   #6
911turbo

Walther PPKS

I've researched the gun and it is a 1976 model made in West Germany/France.
It is in 100% condition and has never been shot. The serial # is 215125.
It has the case and manual. All are are in perfact condition. What do you
guys think it is worth??

I'm ready to buy, just need some feedback from some knowledgeable owners.

Thanks
Old June 21, 2008, 06:26 PM   #7
denfoote

Google is your friend!!!

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Guns-Fire...Info-PPK-S.htm

Quote:
The PPK/S German version in "good" condition has an approximate retail value of $375 and a PPK/S American in "good" condition has an approximate retail value of $300. I do not however have any reliable info concerning the year of manufacture. However, an educated guess can be made by the available info listed on this firearm. You may want to check the barrel and see if you can locate any stampings on same. If so and it begins with a number (IE. "68" - - -") the 68 indicates the year the pistol was proof stamped. We already know that due to the G.C.A./68 that the PPK became the PPK/S which has modifications made to allow U.S. import, that your Walther was made after that.
I have a PPK/S that is roll marked WALTHER USA LLC.
I frankly do not know if it is a S&W or Interarms made gun because I bought it right at the time when Smith was transitioning to take over production from the then newly defunct Interarms.
Walther USA LLC no longer exists, so I'm thinking it was a temporary company, set up by Smith, to liquidate the old Interarms inventory.
The opinion of the "experts" is divided almost 50-50 on the question!!
Frankly, I've given up trying to find out for sure!!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old June 22, 2008, 08:12 AM   #8
PSP

Quote:
It is in 100% condition and has never been shot
If it is a '76 PPK/S with German proofs it is probably made in Germany and imported by Interarms. In ANIB condition, a blued model may fetch more than the ubiquitous stainless model (you didn't say which finish it is), perhaps around $500-$600. Stainless generally sell around $400. I purchased a SS Interarms PPK/S not too long ago. It clearly states "made in USA".

If you can purchase for anything near the $500 area I would do it, were I you. What are they asking for it?

Last edited by PSP; June 22, 2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old June 22, 2008, 03:23 PM   #9
911turbo

Walther PPKS Update

It's a .380 cal. and blued. I looked at it yesterday and talked to the family.
This pistol has never been fired. It's been in a dresser drawer since 1976.
The box, extra mag. (that's never been in) and manual are all 100%. The gun is like brand new. They were asking $ 500. I told them to hold it for me until
Monday. Based upon what I'm hearing from you guys and looking at the gun
I'm going to buy it, it's beautful. Wow what a find.

Thanks for all your help...
Old June 22, 2008, 03:36 PM   #10
cxg231

FWIW - I bought a brand new S&W PPK for just under $500 recently.

The gun you are describing sounds really great, and $500 sounds fair. I would probably buy it for $500, I would definitely buy it for $450.
Old June 22, 2008, 03:37 PM   #11
PSP

Please follow up with comments and pictures after you obtain the pistol. Nice find, fair price.
Old June 22, 2008, 10:24 PM   #12
Stiofan

They are going to vary in price. I regularly see the German made guns going for about $900 in California at most of the gun shows/pawns. Other areas may be less. I bought mine used, but it was in good condition, for about $285. That was in the late 80s though, and I have been following them since.

Regardless, you're getting an excellent buy!

Enjoy your find.
Old June 24, 2008, 05:14 PM   #13
911turbo

PPKS pics

Well, here it is. I picked it up yesterday. I also included a shot of my other pistols.

1976 PPKS .380 cal, blued. I took it apart to see if it had been fired, and it was clean. Never had a bullet through it. Also I looked at the mags. both
have never had bullets in them. This is a 32 year old gun that is as it was then from the dealer. Now my problem is I'm not sure I want to shoot it.

What is your views on this. Keep it as new, or shoot it. How much do you guys think it would reduce the value. I plan on keeping it forever at this point
and giving it to my kids someday along with the others.

Sorry the detail of the photos isn't that good but at least you can see it.

Thanks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guns 003.jpg (237.2 KB, 846 views)
File Type: jpg Guns 002.jpg (231.9 KB, 701 views)
File Type: jpg Guns 001.jpg (247.7 KB, 653 views)
Old June 24, 2008, 05:40 PM   #14
cxg231

Very nice! If you plan I keeping it forever (no cares about depreciation), I would shoot it. Otherwise it is just a paperweight! Just my $.02

Congrats!