The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 16, 2008, 11:07 PM   #1
gvf

Stored Ammo: Fire Hazard?

I don't routinely store much ammo but bought 500 bulk and may get more. I know a fire would not cause unchambered rounds to fire, however just the gunpowder itself seems like any fire would accelerate greatly once it hit the ammo. (I store mine in ordinary cupboard, no room in my safe).

Anyone else have info about this (or insurance company issues in paying fire damage because of stored dangerous substance?)

Thanks
Old June 16, 2008, 11:59 PM   #2
Csspecs

Ammo does not really burn well by itself, hairspray and spray cans are way more of a problem.
Old June 17, 2008, 12:20 AM   #3
Crosshair

It's less dangerous than most other things in your house. It doesn't flow like liquids and generally stays put, meaning an intense, but localized fire. Aerosol cans are more dangerous.
Old June 17, 2008, 03:19 AM   #4
standerson

Don't be concerned. But you do need to buy more ammo. We have more than that just in .22's.
Old June 17, 2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Slasher42

Not to hi-jack this thread but I have a related question...

I would like to goto the range after work without having to go home first... Is there any danger in leaving ammo in the trunk of my car when it gets upto 100+ degrees here in Texas?
Old June 17, 2008, 09:09 AM   #6
3 gun

Not really. Mythbusters did a show with this "myth" featured. When the rounds cooked off they made a lot of noise but didn't do much in the way of damage. Until they got to the rifle calibers they had trouble even finding much more than a scratch on the plywood dummies. Even a thin steel walled gun locker would have stopped anything I remember seeing on the show. The only way the cooked rounds did damage was when they were in a chamber, then they behave just like a round fired by a primer strike.

A side note for Slasher42...not in the short term. Ammo didn't cook off on the show until well up in the hundreds.The ammo would suffer if repeatedly exposed to a heating and cooling cycles but you should be fine for a post work range trip.
Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Old June 17, 2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Rich Miranda

Slasher, I live in San Antonio, and routinely keep ammo in my trunk. It happened by accident, when I realized that after a range trip some two weeks prior I forgot and left some ammo in there (no gun though). It was fine. Ever since then I keep some in there just in case I forget it during my weekly range trip.
Old June 17, 2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Crosshair

Slasher42

Over the short term, no. Over the long term, yes. Though even when stored improperly, ammo takes a long time to degrade to the point where it is unsafe/won't work.
Old June 17, 2008, 02:22 PM   #9
Webleymkv

Ammo that does "cook off" will typically rupture the side of the case before it will propel the bullet with much velocity. This is why adequate chamber support and quality brass is so important in a firearm.
Old June 18, 2008, 10:34 AM   #10
bikerbill

Hey, Slasher, keeping cool? Radio said this AM that it's been 95 or above every day this month here in lovely Austin ...

I rountinely keep a loaded .38 revolver and speedloader in my glovebox. Now that I'm retired, no big deal. but when I was working, the car sat out in the sun all day .. I used to change the ammo every month or so, when I would go to the range. But once left the speedloader untouched for the entire summer and all five rounds went bang with no problem, felt the same as fresh ammo ...
Old June 18, 2008, 11:02 AM   #11
Slasher42

bikerbill -

I live north of the Dallas area and so far we havent been as hot as you guys down south... Its hit the 90's a few times but we've gotten lucky and had storm fronts move through about once a week for the last 3-4 weeks. That always cools it down to the 80's for a couple days

Thanks for the replys about the ammo... Looking forward to some post work range trips without having to go home first!!