The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 21, 2008, 02:05 PM   #1
jurupari

First post

Hi everybody! this is my first post, so I greet everybody on this forum and excuse myself for my bad English.

I'm not a weapons expert, and need help, if I can say so, in the name of culture.

A friend of mine, a Brazilian, is in the process of putting up a museum of the Military Police. The weapon section is in really bad conditions: no labels, nothing in written form, no inventories... She sent me some 79 (!) photos of all kinds of firearms. I could help retrieving information on some of the weapons, but many of them are totally unknown, without marks (or marks are not showing in the pictures). The weapon in the attachment is an example: what the hell is this?

Thanks in advance for any reply
Tommaso
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imagem 002.jpg (218.1 KB, 50 views)
Old June 21, 2008, 02:14 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to The Firing Line, Jurupari!

You may have better luck posting this in Harley Nolden's Institute for Firearms Research. We'll leave this one up and open so you get better exposure for a while.

You might also find this site useful.

BTW, that thing looks like a flare gun to me. But I'm no expert.

Good luck!
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old June 21, 2008, 02:18 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Welcome to the Firing Line

And I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Always good to find new friends.

Sorry, I cannot help you with any specific details about that weapon. I can tell you that something very similar looking was used in the US a few decades ago (and may even still be in service) by the police to fire tear gas grenades. The caliber was 37mm. It is a single shot that breaks open to load, like a shotgun.

again, welcome to the board, and let us know if we can help with any of the other pics. There are a lot of very informed folks who visit or hang out here, and there is a good chance one or more of them has some useful info.
Old June 21, 2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Water-Man

Welcome aboard!