The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 15, 2008, 01:12 AM   #1
2cooltoolz

Best Pocket Holster Kahr PM9?

Got a new PM9 a couple of days ago. Gunbroker..took about a week to complete the details. While I was waiting I bought a DeSantis Nemesis on eBay. About $18 total with shipping.
I have recommended the Nemesis frequently as an outstanding pocket holster for the money. I have one for my Seecamp, one for my J-frame, one for my Bobcat and had one (guessed on fit..close) for my adiosed American Derringer DA38.
Generally a great little holster.
Not the one for the PM9!!!
It's a generic Kahr 9/40 holster, too long for the MK/PM models. You have about 3/4" extra material at the bottom and worse, the PM model sits deep in the holster making it difficult to wrap around the grip in your pocket.
I consider the great advantage of pocket carry to be the ability to inconspicuously get the gun in your hand if you are wary. Not easy here!
And, for some reason, DeSantis ran an un-needed seam up the forward edge of the holster. Instead of the smooth rounded leading edge of most Nemesis' you get this well defined sharp straight edge print in your pocket.
May not scream "Gun!' but it doesn't look natural.
Not worth reselling so I took a pair of scissors and cut it down from the grip, leaving the trigger and mag release covered. Functionally better, but too ugly to carry. Even concealed!. And still has that straight edge print.
I don't mind paying for a holster, but I had previously been impressed with the Nemesis.
Best pocket holster you have found and why? Particularly for the PM/MK Kahrs if you've owned one...but general observations are welcome.
Old June 15, 2008, 07:04 AM   #2
denfoote

I don't have any problems with my Nemisis and my MK9/PM9.
They are the same size and fir the same holster.
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old June 15, 2008, 07:15 AM   #3
LanceOregon

The best one to get in my opinion is High Noon's Pocket Grabber. High Noon tailors their holsters to exact pistol models. So they have holsters specifically designed for the short 3 inch Karhr pistols, as well as the 3 1/2 inch models.

Check it out:

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...t_grabber.html

Old June 15, 2008, 08:46 AM   #4
bikerbill

+1 Denfoote ... been carrying my PM9 in a Nemesis for several years and have no complaints ... gun fits perfectly, holster doesn't come out along with the gun ... and the price was right! I have a Black Hills Leather pocket holster for my dog-walking gun, a Taurus PT25, and I like it ok, but the Nemesis is my favorite for pocket carry.
Old June 15, 2008, 10:23 AM   #5
2cooltoolz

Thanks for the responses.
bikerbill and denfoote, You have me wondering if they might have mixed up my holster (even though the bag was labelled right).
My other nemesis holsters completely clear the grip so you can wrap your fingers around it in your pocket.

On the Kahr the holster obstructs the grip, even after I cut it up. I have to adjust my grip after I clear the holster. Not satisfactory.

And what's up with that stupid seam along the top of the slide? That prints even if the holster is empty.:barf:
Old June 15, 2008, 12:47 PM   #6
2cooltoolz

LanceOregon
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a High Noon Alter Ego tuckable IWB. Great holster. The pocket grabbers look nice, too. I think that's the way I'll go. Do you by any chance have a picture of Kahr in a Pocket Grabber. The factory website shows a Seecamp.
Old June 15, 2008, 11:26 PM   #7
2cooltoolz

Duh.... I know what you're thinking, "Why not cut some more, now that you've ruined the holster anyway?"
The real answer is because I like nice stuff...stuff designed by highly paid professionals, who have spent their lives trying to make what they do for a living as good as it could possibly be. I work for the FAA..I should know better.
The Kahr Nemesis was obviously designed by DeSantis jr. I'm looking at some nice holsters, but in the meantime I've cut the Nemesis down to make it usable.
The grip is now fully accessible, in my pocket, while the trigger is still fully covered. I am a little concerned about the exposed magazine release; that was unintentional, but I carried it all day today. Very comfortable, printing seems less dramatic, and the mag hasn't fallen out yet.
7 rds of 9mm Gold Dot in my pocket. Sorry Seecamp.
Old June 15, 2008, 11:50 PM   #8
HKFan9

Let us know if you find one that works well, I'm in the market for a pocket holster for my PM9 and was going to buy the Nemesis, but after this maybe not. Galco also makes a pocket holster for them, thats the only other one I've heard of.
Old June 16, 2008, 04:34 PM   #9
Air,Land&Sea

www.andrewsleather.com by far
Old June 16, 2008, 05:39 PM   #10
bikerbill

just compared my Nemesis, PM9 inside, with your pic, 2Cool, and it looks like you got the right one, before your home surgery ... with the holster and gun in my right front pocket, I can easily get the last two fingers of my right hand on the grip of the gun and pull it free ... my middle finger joins in as the gun clears the holster and I have a full grip, index finger alongside the slide, as the gun comes up to level for firing ... I see what you mean about adjusting your grip, tho until you mentioned it, I never noticed; it just happened pretty naturally and never seemed to hinder my draw or getting the gun on target ... good luck with your quest; I'm keeping the Nemesis ...
Old June 17, 2008, 11:21 AM   #11
TooTech

I wonder if the PM9 would sit higher if the open bottom of the Nemesis was closed off?
Old June 17, 2008, 05:50 PM   #12
mountainclmbr

I have the 3-inch MK40 in a Nemisis and pulled it out of my pocket to look. I have the seam as described, but the holster only covers to about 1/4 inch below the trigger guard. I can get a full grip on mine.

edit to add, I also have a Don Hume leather pocket holster. mine is for right, front pocket.

Old June 17, 2008, 07:08 PM   #13
2cooltoolz

That Don Hume holster must be an old friend. I love leather that looks like it has lived some life. Nice pistol, too.