The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 14, 2008, 07:28 PM   #1
gcsod45

Help Identifying

I have a 20 gauge shot gun that has almost no markings on it. It has the lever on the top you push to the right to open the breech. On the left side it has FALCON printed on it. The forearm can be pulled off and put back and does not have screws in it. The serial number is behind the trigger guard and is numbered 387xx. I will try to post a picture later. Looking for make and age of this shotgun.

Thanks Delbert
Old June 14, 2008, 09:02 PM   #2
oneounceload

see if this thread from another forum might help:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=4560701
Old June 15, 2008, 07:13 AM   #3
SDC

The "Falcon" name has been used on at least half a dozen different makes and models of shotguns, so we'd need some more information, and pictures would help. Is it single barrel or double barrel? Exposed hammer or hammerless? Are there any proof marks on the barrel(s) when it's taken apart?
Old June 17, 2008, 07:01 AM   #5
SDC

Unless you can find some Spanish proof marks on it, it looks like this is a "house brand" gun, made by one of the larger manufacturers for sale by a smaller retailer or hardware store. Iver Johnson made shotguns during the 1920s for the National Lead Company of San Francisco under the "Falcon" name, and this looks like it is probably one of those.
Old June 24, 2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I agree with SDC. If this gun does not have the Spanish proofs it probably was made by Crescent Firearms Co, or HD Folsom, during the depression era. and much later by Iver Johnson. The gun could also have been made by J. Stevens as they finally bought out the the other companies and maintained the model name. They were good inexpensive utility shotguns owned by many farmers and used for preditors, deer, and "Turkey Shoots.

If there are Spanish proofs the gun was probably imported by the above mentioned companies.

HJN
Old June 24, 2008, 03:51 PM   #7
J F Cooper

I doubt you'll find any proofs, as I'm pretty sure thats an Iver Johnson Champion, under a Falcon name.. I would rule out Stevens and Crescent from the style of the frame..JFC
Old June 29, 2008, 04:16 PM   #8
RwBeV

Iver Johnson

Your gun was built by Iver Johnson, I have seen alot of these guns come through my shop. Iver Johnson would built guns for just about every hardware chain there was back in the day. I have a 28ga. Falcon and a Montgomery Wards Hercules 20ga, both built by Iver Johnson. They where a work horse type of gun and will handle standard loads just fine. I would not shoot magnum loads or steel shot though it.

Keep your powder dry