The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 13, 2008, 08:37 PM   #1
MYSTERT85

tell me about the astra a 100

well i was in my local gunshop getting prices on a few 9mms i am trying to decide what to get when the shop owner showes me a gun that got traded in the day before...it was a Astra A 100 in .45...he said he will sell it to me for $300 is this a good deal?...i have only done a little research and i see that it is a sig clone...any owners out there that can tell me about this gun...im really interested in this gun but i dont want to buy a jam-o-matic

Last edited by MYSTERT85; June 13, 2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old June 13, 2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Tom2

Astras are better than LLamas IMO as far as Spanish guns go, but they have always been just a little bit less in finish and quality than the more famous brands that I have seen. Frankly I would buy a Taurus before I would buy a Spanish gun nowadays. Some of the old Astras and Stars are now collectable I guess. Like WW2 era versions. Spanish guns always got a rap because in the past they had been made from softer steels, sometimes made by cottage industry makers in the backwoods, and often were spurious copies of well known makers. But models that were accepted by the Spanish military or police and made by the big makers often are serviceable guns. The Firestar compact pistols got a fairly good rep. in the US when they were one of the few models of really compact pistols in major calibers. I dunno, 300 might not be a bad price these days when compared to what the new guns cost but I hope it is from a reputable gun shop that will back up the gun if it has problems. A pawnshop or something that sells it AS IS might make me want to cut that price so my loss is not so great if it turns into a lemon and I have to sell it.
Old June 13, 2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Yellowfin

Modern Astras are fantastic pistols for the money. I would definitely grab that A100 for $300 and carry it without hesitation. The older stuff like the 300 and 600 are the ones where soft metal is an issue- the A-75, 80, and 100 are solid as a brick. Not the sexiest finish by any stretch but darn good for daily carry and dependable. A friend of mine had a sexy Italian Beretta he got on the cheap but never carried it, whereas I always had mine on me. He asked to see mine and said "Well, if I were comparing it to cars, this would be like a Chevy." To which I said "It doesn't sit gathering dust in the garage at home
."
Old June 13, 2008, 11:02 PM   #4
sawrecker

Face it man, your a ruger man.... that is not a bad thing.
Get a P95 shoot the crap out of it. 9mm is the least expensive ammo right now. that way it won't brake the bank getting alot of practice with it. They are selling for 300 +or- right now. you already know they are built like tanks.
Ruger, the working mans answer.
Kevin
The rest of us can count on bein' free."Merle Hagard"
Old June 14, 2008, 03:09 PM   #5
schmeky

Mystert85,

The Astra 80,90, & 100 series were very good guns. I have owned 4 through the years and still have an A-80 in 9mm. I carry this A-80 as my vehicle gun stoked with hollow points. I trust it completely.

There are better guns, yes. Astras have creepy SA triggers, the DA trigger pull "stacks", or gets quite a bit heavier as it approaches the sear release. Mags can be hard to find, parts are drying up, but they are solid and well made.

I had an A-80, .45 years ago when I was living on a shoestring. I shot that pistol for about 5 years and reloaded for it. I never had any problems with it.

If the A-80 your looking at is in good condition, you like it, and the price is right (sounds like it), then get it.
Old June 14, 2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Tom2

I had an Astra Constable, a Walther knockoff and it was OK but the machine work and details seemed a bit rough. But the outside was polished well. Trigger pull lousy. I am thinking I had an A-75 for just a short time too. I dunno, they just did not impress me a great deal at the time but if the price was right and you had a tight budget, they might do fine. Good luck on extra mags and stuff though.
Old June 16, 2008, 10:39 PM   #7
Jack Bauer

While I can't speak for the A100, I had an A80 years ago that I wouldn't use as a boat anchor. It had the worst trigger I'd ever felt, very spongy and with no real discernible release. I don't know how else to describe it, and it also shot a foot low at 10 yards. The only good thing I could say was it felt fairly good in my hand, but since I couldn't shoot it worth a darn, I got rid of it. If the A100 is anything like the A80, I'd run, not walk, away from it very fast...

I started out with nothing and still have most of it.
Old June 17, 2008, 07:23 AM   #8
Magyar

Quote:
he said he will sell it to me for $300 is this a good deal?...
YES! Buy it..... Here is what one expert said about the A-100....

"The A-100 is worth consideration by any police or military agency which expresses interest in the excellent Sig/Sauer pistols but are appalled by the high prices of these guns. The Astra A-100 offers the same features at an appreciable lower price."
Old July 11, 2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Rex B

Astra A70 A80 A100 issues

This was discussed on another board.
You should read this:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showpost...52&postcount=5
Old July 11, 2008, 02:49 PM   #10
B.N.Real

Slide broke and busted the guy right in his mouth.

I wondered if ANY semi-auto gun had ever done that.
Old July 11, 2008, 04:06 PM   #11
Magyar

Quote:
Lest anyone conclude that I am picking on Astra, one of the WORST guns in this regard is the postwar Mauser HSc. Their slides are notoriously weak and ALWAYS break. The slides of German P.38s are also commonly fractured. The Star Firestar .45 is another gun with a reputation for self-destruction of the slide, as is the Star 30P (the short model, not the 30M) which doesn't break but chews up its locking lugs.
This also from the article cited above...This guy knows nothing about these guns....Generalities at most....So, I take what he says about the A-100 is about on the same grounds....
Old July 11, 2008, 04:29 PM   #12
Rex B

Really?

Magyar, how much more detail do you want?

The guy apparently is a gunsmith.
Old December 24, 2012, 08:34 PM   #13
mgillitzer

Astra A-100

I have an Astra A-100 in 9mm that was part of a trade a few years back with a good buddy and I love it! It's not the prettiest or sleekest gun, but it is the most reliable semi-auto pisto I have ever fired. I have probably put 10,000 rounds through it without cleaning it and it has yet to misfeed, misfire, anything that isn't perfect function. I would recommend it to anyone who isn't trying to carry it concealed.