The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old June 11, 2008, 03:42 PM   #51
pax
Staff

johnbt ~

Sorry you can't get the video which is the topic of this thread.

Seriously: If you'd like to talk about something other than the topic of this thread, please do feel free to start your own topic. Not trying to cut you or anyone off here, but simply trying to keep the thread on topic.

pax
Old June 11, 2008, 04:04 PM   #52
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage2
You really think that it's a good idea at 2am when you've just shot an armed home invader in your (sic) living room to not say a word when the police show up?
I would call my lawyer before I called the police and let him advise me on what I should and should not tell them.

I'm fairly certain that the vast majority of police officers are fine people. I'm also 100% certain that you should not undergo questioning by the police regarding a criminal matter without the advice and presence of an attorney.

I'm not a Doctor so I don't diagnose my illnesses. I'm not a Lawyer so I don't try to defend myself against the legal system.

I have several friends who are police officers one is an FBI agent. I am also well acquainted with several defense attorneys and one states attorney. All have given me the same advice don't submit to questioning by the police without a lawyer ever.
Old June 11, 2008, 04:29 PM   #53
tyme
Staff

Quote:
What gets me about the videos in the original posts as well as the ACLU videos is that they are more slanted to "how not to get caught" or "how to get away with something illegal."
You must have missed the part where the lawyer paraphrased the government about not knowing how many federal laws there are.

You must have also missed the part where the officer said he could follow someone and eventually find a (legitimate) violation no matter how careful the driver was.

The point, which was not made crystal clear because whenever it's stated clearly it sounds like libertarian paranoia, is that nobody is innocent. Everyone is a criminal.

I thought there was plenty in the presentation that dealt with innocent people being the subject of police investigation. But even if I'm wrong and it was focused on helping the guilty get away with it, I would point to the above as reasons why that's not necessarily bad.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old June 11, 2008, 05:00 PM   #54
STAGE 2

Quote:
I have several friends who are police officers one is an FBI agent. I am also well acquainted with several defense attorneys and one states attorney. All have given me the same advice don't submit to questioning by the police without a lawyer ever.
Not submitting to questioning is not the same thing as not talking to the police. Several people here have said that you should never talk to the police. Thats way different than refusing to answer to questioning.
Old June 11, 2008, 05:31 PM   #55
Alleykat

Quote:
Not submitting to questioning is not the same thing as not talking to the police. Several people here have said that you should never talk to the police. Thats way different than refusing to answer to questioning.
Old June 11, 2008, 07:37 PM   #56
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
True, but the counterpoint is that the opinion of a single law professor and police officer does not constitute a majority, a consensus or even an established fact. Grains of salt are best when liberally spread on both sides.
Touche....I don't see your counterpoint to hold much water if it does establish a consensus or especially an established fact. The defense atty provided examples to support his case. I'd at first claim anecdotal evidence, but since it's recorded as one of many cases I tend to take heed.

Quote:
We hate it when folks characterize all gun owners as redneck wackos, so lets stop painting all police as gestapo interrogators.
I don't think the majority that actually saw the vids are insinuating this in the first place...

Quote:
As far as who's testimony carrys more weight at trial, it depends. However if everything I say lines up with all the physical evidence, then I'm not to worried about what johnny law has to say.
Your key word here is "if". That's an AWFUL big gamble to take in a serious incident that you stated. My rebuttal is that one CAN get burned in court even if one follows your logic.

Quote:
There isn't anything the police need to manufacture for this. Their problem is figuring out whether the guy with the gun was the attacker or the guy on the ground. If its a clear cut shooting (my wife was a witness, the knife is still in the guys hand/on the ground, he's got a rap sheet) I can save myself a whole mess of grief by giving a short summary of what happened.
You need not worry about convincing the police officer of your innocense...

Quote:
What I do object to is this idea the you should never talk to the police. Its a conclusion based on a faulty premise and isn't practical in every situation.
If there's even a shred of possibility of a crime that's been committed would wrongfully be branded on me I will not peep a word to the cops.

What's that old saying? "Better to have others THINK that you're a fool rather than SPEAK and remove all doubt.

Tell me this: Where have you seen one being convicted due to not saying ANYTHING to police whether it's at the scene of a crime or at the station during interrogation? There's not one case out there that I can recall that one gets convicted because he/she didn't talk to police. It's almost always because they DID.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 11, 2008, 10:29 PM   #57
Musketeer

There is a big difference between answering a LEO asking you if you saw a person or vehicle of a certain description in the area and telling him all the details of what was going through your mid the moment you shot the home invader. Use your head and state the obvious facts only such as

"He broke into my home, my life was threatened and I used force necessary to end the threat." Anything beyond that requires a lawyer.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old June 12, 2008, 01:05 PM   #58
STAGE 2

Quote:
There is a big difference between answering a LEO asking you if you saw a person or vehicle of a certain description in the area and telling him all the details of what was going through your mid the moment you shot the home invader. Use your head and state the obvious facts only such as

"He broke into my home, my life was threatened and I used force necessary to end the threat." Anything beyond that requires a lawyer.
+1 I see someone else gets it.
Old June 16, 2008, 02:48 AM   #59
Elvishead

K.I.S.S.
Old June 16, 2008, 05:40 AM   #60
mpage

Would it be feasible to sticky this video? I think it would enhance its effectiveness if it were stickied.

Last edited by mpage; June 16, 2008 at 06:13 AM.