The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 5, 2008, 05:14 PM   #1
spyderdude

My 870 broke

took my Remington 870 to the range yesterday to try out some slugs. It ran fine at the range, but when I brought it home, I did a quick function check before loading it with buckshot again, and putting it beside my bed. I opened the action to make sure it was unloaded, and after doing that, I closed the action and pulled the trigger. I didn't hear the hammer fall I am able to open and close the action even without pulling the trigger or using the release next to the trigger. I took it apart to see what was up, and nothing appeared to be broken or missing. I'm greatly disappointed.
Old June 5, 2008, 05:36 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Maybe just a broke spring? Or not resetting due to gunk?
Try slamming the action closed... maybe with a light penetrant lube... That may reset it but would also signal it needs a cleaning?
Hold it upside down etc to see if that causes a normally sprung part to go to the reset position.
Let us know what you find
*I ain't no gunsmith but these are things I would try in troubleshooting the problem.
Brent
Old June 5, 2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Incognito

Quote:
I took it apart to see what was up, and nothing appeared to be broken or missing.
When you say you took it apart, did you remove the trigger group out of the receiver? You know, by pushing out the pins? If so, you should be able to locate why the hammer is not being released; its a fairly plain mechanism.

If it's FUBAR, trigger groups are not that expensive ($50).
Old June 8, 2008, 10:55 PM   #4
SRG

That sounds like the action release is still activating the disconnector. Make sure that the fore arm nut is tight and also that the barrel is seated properly. Inspect the fire control group and make sure nothing is pinched or jammed against the disconnector.
Old June 10, 2008, 05:03 PM   #5
T-Ray

Quote:
Try slamming the action closed... maybe with a light penetrant lube... That may reset it but would also signal it needs a cleaning?
Agreed. I faced similar problems. I slammed it back and forth (these guns can take it) and it locked back into place. I then cleaned it when i got home Works perfect now

www.texasguntalk.com/forums
Old June 10, 2008, 06:46 PM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
That sounds like the action release is still activating the disconnector. Make sure that the fore arm nut is tight and also that the barrel is seated properly. Inspect the fire control group and make sure nothing is pinched or jammed against the disconnector.
sounds like it - had the same issue with an 1100 and a snap cap - stopped using the snap cap, and the hammer would drop.....