The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 3, 2008, 09:55 PM   #1
billindenver

Stag Model 6 AR-15 - Super Varminter Review

Well my new toy arrived last week in the middle of a week from hell. I finally got out today after work to give her a run. The scope on it is a burris 3x9 that I have lying around. Nice scope, for hunting..but the crosshairs are too thick and the power a bit low for a varminter..still it is a scope until I decide what to put on the stag.

The fit and finish are excellent, no rattles. The pins are a bit tight but I would expect them to be. This gun is HEAVY...not an offhand rifle but sitting on a rest you can see the round strike at 100yards and the further out you go the easier it is to see where the round strikes (I only went out to 500yds). Not much muzzle movement on a rifle with a barrel the size of a baseball bat. It's a 24" barrel with 1-8 twist...did I say it was heavy?

The mount is a UTG and after 130 rounds downrange I was noticing the groups opening up further...which is when I noticed the UTG rail mount was loose on top of the piccatiny mount. I read that they do that, but forgot to locktite it...so that ended my range day. The rounds were all reloads of hornady 75gr match bullets over two different powder loads. 20.5 of varget and 21.5 of varget. I don't think either load is particulary what this rifle likes but then I am just starting to work the 223 reloads.

Bottom left is zeroing the scope, top left is first 10 round group, bottom right is second group, top right is first group of a different load. She likes 20.5 of varget more than 21.5...but like I said, still very much working the load and it was very windy today at the range...blowing directly crosswind and gusty. Still, the stag fired without flaw and though not in the 1/2 moa range yet...I can't expect it to be on the first trip to the range, at least 15 mph gusting crosswinds, new reloads and a shooter more excited about shooting than aiming carefully. Also not sure where in the process the UTG loosened up. I suspect it was loosening up by that 4th group...but can't be sure until next trip to the range. All in all, very happy with the new stag. The plastic case it comes with is pretty useless, though a scoped model does just barely fit inside it. It is lessor quality than the $19 one I purchased from Gander Mountain if that gives you any guage. The magazine is decent, but will soon be replaced with a magpul 20. The two stage trigger is very very nice. I was shooting it back to back with my tikka '06 and the AR trigger was comparable...that is saying alot.

Home, home on the range......

Last edited by billindenver; June 4, 2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old June 4, 2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Nekron

Nice review and very good pics. Thanks for taking the time to do it.
Old June 4, 2008, 02:34 PM   #3
billindenver

The problem I found when researching whether or not I wanted this rifle was finding decent pictures and reviews. Sure, a mag review is nice...but then is it a paid for review or a real one? Who knows, but I'll keep updating this one as time allows (out of town for next 10 days) so that others can see a first hand experience with it.
Old June 4, 2008, 03:09 PM   #4
ceetee

Quote:
The problem I found when researching whether or not I wanted this rifle was finding decent pictures and reviews. Sure, a mag review is nice...but then is it a paid for review or a real one?
I know exactly what you mean. I figure it like this - just to be on the safe side, treat all magazine articles as paid-for shill stories. Use them to find specs and features, then go to independent sources for the real reviews. Thanks for taking the time to post yours.
Old June 4, 2008, 05:03 PM   #5
jakeswensonmt

Soooo jealous.
Is that the stock pistol grip?
Is the model 6 available with an adjustable stock?
Old June 4, 2008, 07:17 PM   #6
billindenver

Other than the scope and mount it is as it comes from the factory. I'm sure an adjustable would bolt on just like every other AR, but it is certainly NOT a carbine with that barrel on the front. I have handled most of the other varmint AR's that are readily available and this barrel is a monster in comparison.
Old June 4, 2008, 08:08 PM   #7
bhannah

Fine looking rifle. But i never understood calling a semi-auto a varmint rifle.
Or is Varminter the new Tactical?
Old June 4, 2008, 08:54 PM   #8
billindenver

When that semi auto is 1/2 moa, it's a pretty good varminter. Personally, I'm glad they called it the super varminter instead of the wizbang tactical...I likely would not have bought one otherwise. As a retired marine, tactical means something to me that I really dont have use for in the civilian world. For instance, I don't need to use my rifle as a hammer, nor do I use my scope as a prybar. Varminter works for me...
Old June 4, 2008, 09:57 PM   #9
globemaster3

Hey wife, get me a rag. I just left a puddle of drool on the floor again...

Nice pics and range report. Keep it coming when you get that thing tuned!
Old June 5, 2008, 12:38 PM   #10
Alleykat

Quote:
But i never understood calling a semi-auto a varmint rifle.
You obviously need to expand the parameters of your understanding!
Old June 5, 2008, 07:37 PM   #11
bhannah

I here you as a ex-ranger the tactical thing bugs me... but thats just me...
and once again i see if you disagree with allycat you are wrong....lol...
Old June 7, 2008, 10:07 AM   #12
Alleykat

Youse guys is being a little harsh on ol' Alleykat! The "tacticool" stuff is a turnoff to me; however, I don't see what the lack of understand of what constitutes a varmint rifle has to do with being a Ranger, sniper, etc. Anybody with just a modicum of awareness of the types of rifles used as varmint rifles wouldn't question whether an accurate AR qualifies as a varmint rifle. Lots of varmint hunters shoot ARs.

Let me put it simply, for those of you who can't spell and/or write a complete sentence: An AR that shoots 1/2 m.o.a. (and plenty shoot better than that) is a better varmint rifle than a bolt rifle that shoots 1 m.o.a. That's not tooooooo difficult to comprehend, is it?
Old June 11, 2008, 05:31 PM   #13
billindenver

Ok, got back in town yesterday so rolled up some reloads for today, tightened and locktited the UTG mount to base screws and headed back to the range. Fired about 100 rounds today and the mount didn't loosen back up so I think all is well there until I choose a scope/mount that will live on this rifle.

Ammo wise, I changed to H335 for better/easier metering as Varget can be a bit of a pain even with the chargemaster. With the H335 I found the chargemaster was more consistant...so much so that I pulled the RCBS charge thrower back off the shelf and bolted it down...low and behold it throws a pretty accurate charge with H335 too...whereas with Varget....not so much. That is really good news since it speeds up 223 loading by a LOT. I also switched to Vmax 60gr bullets because locally I couldn't find any of the 75gr match bullets in stock.

Groups were decent, but again I wasn't aiming with any sort of serious concentration. Fill a 10 round mag, fire a round every 2 seconds or so...repeat.

A problem surfaced late in the session though in that I had my first failure to feed, followed by several more. Round would jam, half fed or wouldn't get picked up at all. Then I would find the bolt held back as if the mag was empty with a round sitting loose on top of the mag. Bad Magazine was my thought, so I called stag. They said, yep that is what it is....new one will go out today. Ok, can't complain about that customer service. Also found the pin that holds the trigger group in was installed backwards...no little groove on that side of the pin to mate up with the spring that holds it in place. So, the pin drifts around a bit. They are sending me a new pin so I can just chase the old one out with it and not have to deal with the springs etc. Neither is a big problem, but worth mentioning I guess. Following are groups from today. I only fired these at targets and spent the rest of the time dinging and gonging various pieces of metal at ranges from 300 to 500 yards. The following are 100 yard groups.

Is it 1/2 moa as promised by Stag? In my hands, maybe it is, maybe its not...we shall see when or if I get around to trying. I believe that with the right ammo, a clean and cool barrel and a careful aim/rest that it is pretty damn close to Stag's promise. So far, I am pleased.

Old June 11, 2008, 06:32 PM   #14
tulsamal

Quote:
Bad Magazine was my thought, so I called stag.
There are gun people out there that don't have dozens of AR mags just sitting there waiting for a chance to be inserted in a new rifle?

Just seems funny when I think of all my mags. If I thought I had a mag problem, my first reaction would be to go get an HK mag. Or maybe a PMAG. Or some GI type new in the wrap! So many choices.

Gregg
Old June 11, 2008, 06:47 PM   #15
billindenver

Yeah I know, I've been slacking. I have not stocked up with 100 mags and 10,000 rounds....yet.

I've heard good things about magpuls but other than that, I must admit...I am mag-ignorant. I intend to add at least a few to the collection....just haven't read enough reviews to have any idea which. Suggestions? I'm leaning towards 20 round for this rifle, mostly for ground clearance when P-dog blasting....though I'm not even certain of that at present.
Old June 11, 2008, 08:07 PM   #16
MeekAndMild

OK it absolutely can't be tactical. It doesn't have the required tactical flashlight taped on with tactical duct tape.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old June 19, 2008, 01:25 PM   #17
Nekron

Bill: Have you chrono'd any of those loads yet? Especially the accurate load with 23.7 gr. of H335?