The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 2, 2008, 06:39 PM   #1

Mossberg 500 shoots high... is this normal?

I bought a Mossberg 500 12ga Persuader for home defense purpose. It has an ATI synthetic collapsible stock.

I did some research on the stock and some people said that the stock is too high for a proper cheek weld.

When I bring the gun up for sight picture, I see the top of the barrel... should I just see the bead sticking out?

I shot 20 slugs today and my mossberg shot 8" high at 10 yds. I held the gun tight and I didn't feel anything in my shoulder but my right jaw stung a bit... Am I doing something wrong?
Old June 2, 2008, 08:51 PM   #2
oneounceload

sounds like the stock isn't fitting you right if it is hurting your cheek/jaw....if you're seeing the top of the barrel, you will be shooting high
Old June 2, 2008, 09:15 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For close shots on doves (20 yards) I put "3/4 inch of air" 'tween the bird and my bead and whack 'em every time. I don't put the dove touching the bead until beyond 30-35yds. For a sitting dove I may go out a tad bit further and put half the bird under the bead half above.
That is with cheap ammo, 20ga, 18.5" barrel and cylinrical choke.
Brent
Old June 2, 2008, 10:25 PM   #4
theghostrider

I'm a newb here, as well as to shotguns. I just purchased a 500 last week that came with that same stock. I can tell you that there is no way to get down on the sights because the stock is to high (don't know what they were thinking).

When I asked the duck hunter at the local store how to properly fit a shotgun, he told me that when sighting, you shouldn't see any of the barrel, just the bead over the reciever. Can't happen with the ATI stock as it sits too high.

I've taken my gun to the range twice now for a total of about 45 rounds and not had any problem with shooting it. I just throw it up and squeeze the trigger. It shoots where I want it to at 10 yards, and that's good enough for me. I don't know what it's called (pistol would be point shooting I guess), but I never did anticipate using the sights.
Old June 3, 2008, 08:28 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Lots of shotguns equipped with simple bead sights throw slugs a bit high. A couple options include.....

Changing the stock to a standard style with more drop.

Installing a thin piece of neoprene or similar material to minimize the face whack and living with the high POI. Actually, adding a pad will raise the POI even higher but comfort is important.

Adding high profile sights to bring line of sight up.

Switching the front sight to a bead mounted on a base. This often lowers POI enough to put things right.

And using Kentucky elevation to put POA below the target. I've done this with riot barreled 870s.

In your shoes, I'd try a standard stock first or live with the high POI.
Old June 3, 2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Slopemeno

Agreed. A standard stock and a bead-on-base will make that thing much more comfortable to shoot.
Old June 3, 2008, 09:39 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So what I do with dropping bead at close range is "Kentucky elevation"? Cool now I have a name to use! BTW mine has a mossberg factory poly stock or pistol grip and I have to aim the same either way.
As far as view on gun I see only top of receiver and the bead.
Brent
Old June 3, 2008, 11:07 AM   #8
BigJimP

Gun fit is a big issue and Face Slap is probably the worst thing that you can have going on because it'll cause flinching, bad mounts, etc.

The idea on gun fit - is to fit the gun so you hit where you look / since your eye is the rear sight - but as the gun recoils you want it recoiling or sliding under your cheek bone. If the gun is shoving the meat in your face up against the cheek bone, in front, as you mount the gun - as it recoils it will hurt and probably break the skin after 15 or 20 shots. Take your hand, first finger extended, and hold it up to your face and under the cheek bone - and at whatever angle you hold the finger, you can feel the meat go up against the cheek bone or slide just under the cheek bone. Ideally, for me, I like it sliding just under the cheek bone - so the trick is to get a pad on the comb that accomplishes that / and take the gun to a pattern board / hold it just below a dot on board / shoot 2 or 3 shells and see what the point of impact is. You have to adjust the height of the comb to raise or lower the point of impact. Shotguns just don't come in one size fits all - and a lot of companies make stocks that can be a real problem to fit properly / and they beat the stuffing out of guys that try and shoot them and don't get them to fit right.