The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Super-Dave

Shotgun for a trunk gun?

I just picked up a $150.00 used mossberg 500 7+1 from the local gun shop.

I was thinking of using it for my car trunk gun.

Is this a good choice for trunk gun or should I go with a rifle or carbine instead?

I live in florida and the trunk heat in the summer might reach 160 degrees.

Is it safe to store shotgun ammo in the trunk? Will the extreme heat make the ammo less reliable? I was planning on storing the ammo in a airtight plastic ammo can with descicant.

What do yall think?

George Orwell
Old June 1, 2008, 07:44 PM   #2
mikenbarb

Dave, You dont know by now? Think about it, Heat, ammo, plastic parts. Hmmmmmmm, What do you think???? And trunks get hotter than 160 in the Florida sun. Also, Is it wise to leave a gun in your trunk??? What if someone steals or breaks into your car?? Sounds like they would get a free ride with a bonus. Oops, Forgot to mention that ammo is included with this theft. Its a problem waiting to happen and I dont think any sane gun owner would even consider something like that.:barf:
And why in the world would you want to leave a gun in your trunk? They belong in a locked vault and a car trunk isnt one.
Old June 1, 2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

I find it strange that if someone steals your car, and it has a gun in it-or somene breaks in your locked car and steals your gun, that anyone could think the gun owner could be responsible! It's YOUR car that is being violated.
The heat won't hurt the gun or ammunition.
Old June 1, 2008, 08:15 PM   #4
oneounceload

exposed to constant high temperatures, like we get here in Florida, MAY lead to some ammo degredation. The gun should be fine from heat, moisture and rust are something else....guess I second the question as to why would someone want to keep a gun in an inaccessible location.....
Old June 1, 2008, 08:16 PM   #5
KCabbage

"Locked in vault", that a good one

The gun should be fine in the trunk, just check it every so often.
The ammunition should be fine as well, but make sure you know your ammunition well. I've heard the Winchester Ranger 00B has a waxy coating on the shots. You don't want that to melt and mix with your powder.

One more thing, I don't know about your state laws, but here in Nebraska you can't have the gun loaded. I can store a rifle/shotgun in the trunk as long as it's not loaded. So with a shotgun you must think about how quickly you can load it in stressful times. A magazine fed rifle would be much quicker into action.

Hope that helps.
Take care
Old June 1, 2008, 08:18 PM   #6
KCabbage

Oneounce may be right. Shoot/change it every so often to be safe.
Old June 1, 2008, 08:20 PM   #7
mikenbarb

Bill, Welcome to my strange state of N.J. with out of control gun laws. We have had homeowners jailed because someone stole a gun from their house and used it in a violent crime:barf:. They said its the homeowners responsibility to make sure their secured and locked up.
Old June 1, 2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Pestman

I didnt know that Mike. I better lock up my gun. I live in an apartment and I don't plan on staying here to long. Is it worth it to get a gun safe? Who makes a good safe.
Old June 1, 2008, 09:18 PM   #9
mikenbarb

Pestman, N.J. has some weird laws. You want to have a HD weapon but at the same time you can be arrester for having a loaded firearm within 450' of another occupied dwelling. And forget about it if your by a school and they find a gun unsecured thats loaded. You cant even have a cased gun on your backseat. The law reads that it has to be in the most rearward compartment of the vehicle cased and unloaded and gun and ammo have to be seperate from one another and not left unattended. Hmmmm, I dont get it.
You can get El Cheapo Homak vault at Wallyworld for about 100 bucks.
Old June 1, 2008, 10:19 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

If your house is locked, why is the gun not secured?
I would move as quickly as I could!
Old June 1, 2008, 10:59 PM   #11
Rich Miranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbarb
Welcome to my strange state of N.J.
mikenbarb, I lived in Jersey for nearly four years and I mean absolutely zero offense to you when I say this:

The reason Jersey has a reputation for being bass-ackward is (drum roll) because it is!

2 months for a long gun permit? :barf: Come on. But you already know this....
Old June 2, 2008, 06:26 AM   #12
mikenbarb

2 months for a long gun permit??????You got lucky. Try 6-10 now, And 6 Months -1 year for a one time use handgun purchase permit that you have to use in 6 months or its void. A gun that isnt in a vault in a house is considered movable property even if your doors locked. They consider a door and window an easy access area. I dont get the laws in this state but they suck! Legal gun owners get the screws all the time here. I had a friend that got into a verbal(YES VERBAL) argument with his gfriend and the police came, Took all his guns and he had to go to court 5 times to get them back. After 11 months and 13 days he got some back. Somehow they lost a couple.:barf: You have 364 days to recover your firearms from "safe keeping" and if you dont, They become property of the state and are destroyed.(even if you have court dates for this) TheotherTexas, I agree NJ is ass backwards and its because we have a bunch of wimpy, no backbone politicians here. We need a couple stand up type of guys in Trenton that stick up for gun owners and dont just sign every bill because the Anti's are protesting for it. Anyway, If you got caught with a gun being stored in your trunk with ammo(dont know why you would want to), You would be in jail for a bit. If its loaded and you dont have a carry permit your going for a long time.
Bill, Im going to look at property in Pa. next week. I lived there for a while and moved back to Jersey for family reasons. I cant wait to move back there.
Old June 2, 2008, 06:42 AM   #13
Teuthis

Why do you need a "trunk gun?" What is the purpose of it? Do you think that as a citizen you are going to be engaging in major firefights where you will be able to haul that shotgun out of your trunk and assault blockaded suspects or multiple enemies on the streets?

Conceivably, just conceivably, there could be rare situations in which you might put a shotgun or carbine in your trunk for some specific moment. But I cannot see a need for someone to be carrying long guns in his trunk on a regular basis. You might ask yourself just how many times you have needed such weapons in the past. For most of us, that is about how many times you will need them in the future. If the time comes when we do need to carry arsenals about with us, we will all know it, and agree upon its efficacy.
Old June 2, 2008, 07:01 AM   #14
Super-Dave

Okay,

The reason I picked this shotgun was because it was $150.00. If it gets stolen it is not much of a loss.

Here in florida there is not liability if someone steals your guns out of your house or car. (unless it is a minor that lives in your house or was invited into your house and your gun was unsecured).

So if Joe-Thug steals my $150.00 mossberg out of my trunk its better than him stealing a $1,400.00 benelli.

My question is really is the shotgun a good choice for a trunk gun?

Will the ammo stay reliable in the heat in the trunk?

My plan is to replace the ammo every 6 months.

Why do I need a shotgun in my trunk you may ask?

Suppose I am at work and the "GMLF" Gay Midget Liberation Front detonates an Emp explosive device in my city. All electricity is gone. All eletronic devices are fried. Riotting in the street begins.

I have to make it home to my family and my guns. Now without a trunk gun all I have is a pistol. Once the rioting begins many roads might be unaccesible by vehicle and I might have to go at it by foot.

I wait for night fall to travel on foot. As I am walking toward home a gang of thugs armed with chainsaws and cricket bats surround me and try to rob me.
With just the glock I might only take out 4 of them. With the mossberg I probably can get atleast 6. I shoot at the guys with the chainsaws first.

After I have expended all my ammo I grab the shotgun by the but stock and and use it like a bat. Easily defeating those with only a cricket bat. Once they have been dispatched I reload and continue home.

As I limp home, I realize someone must have gotten in a good swing with the cricket bat to my leg. Clutching the mossberg for security I head on. Out of now ware a pack of pitbulls infested with aids and foaming at the mouth charge at me. Bang, Bang, Bang, three of them are droped. Bang Bang, two more go down. One charges at my neck and gets a good grip. I go down. The dog is tearing me to shreds. In my last dying moves I grab my glock and pull the trigger "Kabooooooom" The glock explodes shreding me and the remaining dogs.

With my dying breath I yell "Vote for Obama".

George Orwell
Old June 2, 2008, 07:16 AM   #15
mikenbarb

SuperDave, They make medication for that kind of stuff you have. Damn, Take up fishing or something.lol You wont have as many nightmares.
And still, I dont see a need for a trunk gun. If it gets that bad im hitting the gas and not looking back.
Oh, without electronic devices your car wont start.LOL now you have to invest in a scabbard for your bike. ROFL

Last edited by mikenbarb; June 2, 2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old June 2, 2008, 08:02 AM   #16
KCabbage

Nice story Dave. Pretty vivid imagination you got there. You should make a movie out of it.

Slap that shotty in the trunk. It's better to be prepared.

Take care
Old June 2, 2008, 09:03 AM   #17
Rich Miranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Dave
Suppose I am at work and the "GMLF" Gay Midget Liberation Front detonates an Emp explosive device in my city. All electricity is gone. All eletronic devices are fried. Riotting in the street begins.

I have to make it home to my family and my guns. Now without a trunk gun all I have is a pistol. Once the rioting begins many roads might be unaccesible by vehicle and I might have to go at it by foot.

I wait for night fall to travel on foot. As I am walking toward home a gang of thugs armed with chainsaws and cricket bats surround me and try to rob me.
With just the glock I might only take out 4 of them. With the mossberg I probably can get atleast 6. I shoot at the guys with the chainsaws first.

After I have expended all my ammo I grab the shotgun by the but stock and and use it like a bat. Easily defeating those with only a cricket bat. Once they have been dispatched I reload and continue home.

As I limp home, I realize someone must have gotten in a good swing with the cricket bat to my leg. Clutching the mossberg for security I head on. Out of now ware a pack of pitbulls infested with aids and foaming at the mouth charge at me. Bang, Bang, Bang, three of them are droped. Bang Bang, two more go down. One charges at my neck and gets a good grip. I go down. The dog is tearing me to shreds. In my last dying moves I grab my glock and pull the trigger "Kabooooooom" The glock explodes shreding me and the remaining dogs.

With my dying breath I yell "Vote for Obama".
This alone made this entire thread worthwhile.
Old June 2, 2008, 11:37 AM   #18
Tuckahoe

A car trunk is a harsh environment for a firearm. With heat, humidity all take a toll. A marine coat finish would be the best choice for this duty.
If you keep a shotgun in the trunk do not store it fully loaded. With heat and pressure shotgun shells have been known to mushroom making the shotgun useless. When I was a deputy sheriff we always kept our shotguns in the trunk, the mossbergs held up good unless a deputy stored one in a case where rust became a major problem.
Old June 2, 2008, 12:51 PM   #19
Super-Dave

Thanks tuckahoe.

I plan on giving this $150.00 shotgun the krylon paint job from wallmart. It should hold up well. Now all I need to do is find someone willing to sell me a cheap pistol grip full length stock and I am in bussiness.

George Orwell
Old June 2, 2008, 03:08 PM   #20
mikenbarb

You can also add a couple turrets to the roof area.lol
Old June 2, 2008, 03:41 PM   #21
Bill DeShivs

Super-Dave's post may actually be closer to reality than some of you think.
Memphis has seen it's share of riots, and is rife for more. Florida is full of racial and ethnic tensions. Terrorism is not only possible, but likely. Civil disorder would certainly follow a terrorist attack.
A beater shotgun or rifle in the trunk is not a bad idea.
When tensions are particularly high here in dear old Memphis, I "pack heavy" for my 30+ mile trip home through this wonderful city.
Old June 2, 2008, 06:46 PM   #22
ws6_keith

If these damn Saiga's hadn't jumped in price so much, that was my pic for truck gun. I liked the idea of 2 mags - 10 rounds of 00 Buck and 10 rounds of slugs. But that is now a $1000 pkg! Jeez.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Old June 2, 2008, 08:29 PM   #23
KCabbage

So rust is a problem when stored in a case?
Wouldn't re-oiling every so often keep it maintained?
Or maybe putting some silica gel packets in the case?
Take care
Old June 2, 2008, 08:37 PM   #24
mikenbarb

Just do a James Bond flip down secret compartment in the visor.LOL
Old June 5, 2008, 09:08 PM   #25
J.Smith

Well if you live near Palm Beach, Florida heres a good reson to keep a trunk gun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HrucqUaaZE