The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 28, 2008, 02:11 PM   #1
bigbadbowtie

Kahr CW9....excessive wear along slide rail.

I own/carry a CW9. I have ~100 or so trouble free rounds through the gun. I noticed Monday upon tear down that the slide rail on the lower has some major wear. The point of wear is on the lower polymer part of the frame on the right side near the front. I have some pictures at home I can post of my exact gun.

I did find this picture on another forum with the same issue.(this is not my gun but one with similar issue)

That front part of the rail on my gun has worn away about 1/2 of its original width. That can't be correct??

If you own a CW9, please take a look at yours and see if you have similar wear.

Thanks
Ray
Old May 28, 2008, 03:08 PM   #2
primlantah
Registration in progress

that sucks. Cant be a good thing... my girl just got a pm9... hope it not hereditary because i really like the pistol.
Old May 28, 2008, 04:04 PM   #3
David the Gnome

If it concerns you I would send it in to Kahr. They have a pretty good record of making things right. When I had a faulty magazine follower they sent me 3 new ones at no cost and with no questions asked.
Old May 28, 2008, 04:35 PM   #4
bigbadbowtie

David,
I sent an email to Kahr tech support last night with pictures. Im just waiting on a reply. I also wanted to see what other cw9 owners are seeing.

Ray
Old May 28, 2008, 04:56 PM   #5
ChicagoTex

I have noticed no such problems with my CW40.
Old May 28, 2008, 06:01 PM   #6
dave421

I've read that it's possible but not an issue. Supposedly the polymer is just there as a guide and there are actual steel rails. Looking at your picture though, I don't see any. Perhaps that was just with the non-CW guns. Let us know what Kahr says. I'm curious to know whether they think it's an issue or not.
Old May 28, 2008, 11:19 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

There's no issue and that's not wear. It's not uncommon for those to look like a rat chewed on them. I've looked at a brand new pistol that looked the same and the right forward "rail" on my CW9 looks very much like your picture.

I put "rail" in quotes because those are not the actual rails, the actual rails are metal. The rear rails are at the extreme rear of the pistol and the forward rails are down in the dustcover channel. You can see them with the gun disassembled--in fact, the rear part of the left forward rail is visible in the upper right hand corner of your picture.

The forward rails engage the lower front part of the slide about on a level with the recoil spring. You can see the grooves on that part of the slide even with the gun assembled.

I'm not sure exactly why the polymer rails are there--they don't actually provide any support for the slide, that's all done with the metal rails. Maybe they're there to help get the slide lined up for assembly.

I've attached some pictures showing the actual position of the forward slide rails, the grooves that accommodate them in the slide and also (although my picture's not that good) the partially missing right side "rail".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kahr CW9 Slide.jpg (162.5 KB, 764 views)
File Type: jpg Kahr CW9 Rails.jpg (43.7 KB, 760 views)
Old May 29, 2008, 01:30 AM   #8
ChicagoTex

Quote:
Maybe they're there to help get the slide lined up for assembly.
That would be my guess aswell.

Either way, with just over 400 rounds in my CW40, my frame doesn't exhibit this at all.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:04 AM   #9
bigbadbowtie

John,
Thanks for the info. That's very reassuring. I have yet to get an email back from Kahr but I'm sure they will say the same.

I wonder why the cw40 does not show similar wear?

Thanks
Ray
Old May 29, 2008, 08:30 AM   #10
Murdoch

I'll have to look at mine (CW9) when I get home...several hundred rounds (I think I'm around 400-500, I'll have to check my "log") with no problems from mine.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:30 AM   #11
ChicagoTex

Quote:
I wonder why the cw40 does not show similar wear?
I wouldn't assume all CW40s are exempt from this just because mine hasn't shown any signs yet, just as at the same time I wouldn't assume this happens to all CW9s. My guess is it has something to do with the individual slide-to-frame fit of each gun - for all you or I know, the frame-chewing may be evidence that your gun is actually BETTER fit than mine in key areas - it certainly looks ugly, but I trust John when he says it's no biggie.

Wish some more CW owners would post their results so we could get a better overall feel for this.
Old May 29, 2008, 09:17 PM   #12
p89ruger_9mm

All Stainless steel the wat to go with Kahr

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/27371
Old May 30, 2008, 12:04 AM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

Just to reiterate, I have looked at a brand new pistol still in the store and seen rails (well, only the right front rail) that looked chewed up like that.

That makes be believe that it is not wear at all but something that happens at the factory for some reason. My guess is that the CW40 doesn't look the same way because for whatever reason they don't "chew up" the rail on the CW40 at the factory...

I am curious to see what Kahr says, maybe they'll provide an explanation.
Old May 30, 2008, 06:16 PM   #14
bikerbill

My PM9, with about 1,200 rds through it, shows no such wear ... but I'll agree that Kahr will make it right if it's a defect ...
Old May 30, 2008, 08:39 PM   #15
JBP55

Only a few hundred rounds of 115, 124+P and 127+P+ with no issues on my CW9.
Old May 31, 2008, 11:53 PM   #16
psdan000

had a CW9 with the same issue. i noticed it one day after shooting while i was cleaning it. i took it up to the gun shop where i bought it so he could look at it. he had a brand new one there so we took it apart to look at it, sure enough it looked the same. never had a problem out of it, yours should be fine.