The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 28, 2008, 02:03 PM   #1
AutoPistola

Broke my firing pin while dry-firing...

Can't say I wasn't warned. Being that it's a pre-taurus Rossi and I can't seem to find parts for it, do you think Taurus can/will help? I also noticed a hammer drag problem which could smooth up the action if fixed.

Gosh, I really don't want to deal with Taurus' customer service or pay shipping b/c I could repair it myself. Last time I called they kept me on permanent hold with the cheesiest "God Bless America" song that grinded my nerves so bad I got a 'tude with the receptionist
Old May 28, 2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Robby

I have heard that a good gunsmith, can do the replacement of that firing pin cheaper than sending it back to either Rossi, or Taurus. Check for shops that have a gunsmith on staff. Can't HURT!!
Old May 28, 2008, 04:07 PM   #3
rogertc1

I have got a replacement firing pin for my 85 from Taurus, they have floating pins. My new Rossi does have a fixed firing pin like the old S&W 60. Give it a try and call them. It only cost me shipping.
Old May 28, 2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Robby

Yeah, try the Rossi CS # Phone: (305) 474-0401, it is different than Taurus. I know because I own both.
Old May 28, 2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Shadi Khalil

Calling their customer sevice is a nightmare. I know the song and the receptionist, dont feel bad, she had it coming.
Old May 29, 2008, 01:03 AM   #6
Qwiks draw

Dealt with Taurus and Rossi CS and have had no troubles. If Rossi can't help, either www.e-gunparts.com or www.brownells.com should be able to help.
Old May 29, 2008, 06:25 AM   #7
Hammer It

Hello Autopistola
Buy your self a S&W Next time. They provided their revolvers with these Dry Fire Targets back in the 1950's... Hammer It

Old May 29, 2008, 06:31 AM   #8
orionengnr

Looks like you missed every time!!!
J/K
Old May 29, 2008, 07:19 AM   #9
The Meatman

^^^^ LOLOLOL. Very funny! Thanks for making my morning.
"Are you guys ready? Let's Roll" Todd Beamer, Flight 93.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:51 AM   #10
rogertc1

Now my Colt 1917 45C/45Apc has been dry fired thousands of time and still as solid as a rock.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:24 AM   #11
GPossenti

Tom Gresham on GunTalk suggests practicing trigger-pull by dry-firing to build muscle memory so you learn to keep the gun steady during the pull.

Is this a good idea?
Old May 29, 2008, 12:09 PM   #12
kamerer

Quote:
Tom Gresham on GunTalk suggests practicing trigger-pull by dry-firing to build muscle memory so you learn to keep the gun steady during the pull.

Is this a good idea?
Darn right. If you aren't doing it, start. It is also the best way to get feedback about what you are doing wrong - you can watch the sights and see if you are making errors. Can't do that with recoil involved....

I read years ago some top competitive shooters do 80% of their trigger practice dry, to train out flinching, etc. Top shotgunners recommended the same thing. Not only do you need to do it to get good, you need to keep doing it to STAY good.

If a firing pin broke from dry firing a centerfire gun, it was a defective pin, or defective gun in some way - misaligned, etc. Top gun manufacturers will tell you straight up that dry firing will not hurt the gun - that's an old myth that refuses to die - it had a place in the pre-20th century, but not with modern centerfire guns. If you run across an owner, dealer, etc. who is hesitant about dry firing, you can wonder what other archaic myths and superstitions they cling to regarding guns.
Old May 29, 2008, 12:23 PM   #13
Lavid2002

Heres a Fun little drill I liek to do

Requires 2 people
Have one get in the shooting stance, wether it be standing, kneeling, prone etc... The other person holds the rifle with a pocket full of rounds. RAck the action loading one round, or leaving the chamber empty. DO NOT SHOW THE SHOOTER. Pass him/he the rifle safely witht he safety on. Have them do their checklist, breath controll, both eyes open, and shoot when ready. If there isnt a round, any flincking will be CLEARLY noticable by the partner, and also by the shooter. Keep loading a live round to keep them on their feet every now and again! Also, this will teach them to not be "afraid" of the rifle...a loud bang and a little buck shouldnt be an excuse for a poor shot.
: D
Old May 29, 2008, 12:42 PM   #14
Hard Ball

When you replace it get some snap caps for dry firing.
Old May 29, 2008, 01:17 PM   #15
noelf2

Exactly what I was going to say. Why take chances? Use snap caps.
Old May 29, 2008, 07:00 PM   #16
AutoPistola

Thanks for the info...

I thought about it, but I can't buy snap-caps locally. It's a 971 with the fixed firing pin...I heard those sometimes broke on old S&W's too.

I think the hammer is out of alignment too.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:55 PM   #17
Jeff #111

You can order snap caps directly from the company A-zoom. There is a webpage. Just do a search on Google or your favorite search engine. I use snap caps in all my handguns and rifles. Just to be safe. It dosen't hurt to use them.
Old May 30, 2008, 12:57 PM   #18
Seven High

You can find snap caps on E bay as well.
Old May 31, 2008, 03:15 PM   #19
AutoPistola

I tried midway, brownells, and egunparts with no luck... no mention of parts for the revolvers. Rossi/Braztech will not repair it b/c it was imported by Interarms, not Rossi/Braztech.

I don't even know if the newer Rossi's have old-fashioned fixed firing pins, but perhaps a gunsmith could fit an old s&w pin. Is it held in with a pin or some wierd sort of rivet?
Old June 5, 2008, 07:13 PM   #20
jspdrcrmach5

M & M Gunsmithing supplies parts and repairs Interarms imported Rossi guns, the Hammer Nose kit sells for $25 + $6.50 shipping and includes the Hammer nose, rivet and spring.
They usually don't answer their phone so You will have to leave a message or e-mail them, and they will contact You.

Phone: 703-739-2150
Fax: 703-739-9890
E-mail: mail@mmgunsmithing.com

http://www.mmgunsmithing.com/
Old June 26, 2008, 08:21 PM   #21
AutoPistola

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You

!!!!!!!
Old June 26, 2008, 08:39 PM   #22
ChicagoTex

This is why I just buy snapcaps for all the calibers I own, then I don't have to worry about which guns are "dry-fire safe" and which aren't.
Old June 27, 2008, 12:16 AM   #23
Mosin44az

I would use snap caps also.

By dry firing, I broke the firing pin on an old Rossi M68 a few years ago, and ALSO broke the firing pin on my HK USP Compact 40.
Old June 27, 2008, 07:03 AM   #24
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I thought about it, but I can't buy snap-caps locally
Use spent shell casings. Discard them when the primer has been dry fired too much.
Old June 27, 2008, 07:11 AM   #25
cocojo

For what your going to pay for shipping back and forth and repairs I would just look for another gun and keep the rossi for dry firing only.
Some nice older Colts and Smiths out there which are a much better value and gun. I don't dry fire my guns for this reason, I prefer to just shoot them but some poeple love to dry fire which is ok. I would choose a gun I don't care much about to work on my sight and finger control. Keep the rossi for dry firing and dry fire without any more worry, forever.