The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 23, 2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Kraziken

AR-15 to 9mm upper conversions anyone here have one?

I've been interested in the 9mm carbine upper conversion for my AR-15. However doing research, it seems you need to change the hammer and some other parts for the conversion to work.

Olympic arms sells a conversion that doesn't require a lower receiver modification. The gunshop local to me though has scared me a bit about Olympic Arms. They seem to favor Rock River arms.

Any opinions on this subject? Perhaps just buying a full 9mm AR-15 is the way to go?
Old May 23, 2008, 03:33 PM   #2
shooter_john

I think you'll have to have a magazine adapter in the lower however you go, unless you get ahold of one of the Colt dedicated lowers. (unless someone else I don't know about has/ makes them) I have a Colt 9mm upper on a Bushmaster .223 lower w/ a block, but I don't know the make as I bought it as a complete rifle. It came with 6 steel mags (modified surplus mags... Sten I think) and 2 of the polymer mags that seem to be pretty much available everywhere. The steel mags work MUCH better than the poly's and it is a pretty neat rifle all together.
Old May 23, 2008, 04:28 PM   #3
Forwardassist

There are two different pistol caliber conversion systems. RRA uses the Colt system with a magazine adapter and special modified UZI magazines. This system also requires the need for a new hammer and a 9mm buffer.The second is the Olympic system that uses a magazine well adapter that is attached to the magazine. This system uses converted UZI magazines. This system supposedly does not need a new hammer or buffer. Both system use a pistol caliber Bolt Carrier Group. Personally I would not buy a Oly rifle. There are just too many horror stories on the net about their products.
Old May 23, 2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Aquanewt

Check AR15.com for more info but I know that Olympia has a bad reputation over there.
Old May 24, 2008, 07:18 AM   #5
blume357

I agree with above....

I'm planning to do the same thing, but from reading what they have to say at the AR.com place it's not as simple as it seems. I hate to say it, but I really don't get the thing about only buying an upper or what ever for an AR... for the money it sure seems more practical to just get the whole thing.
Old May 24, 2008, 09:19 AM   #6
clown714

i've got a oly 9mm upper.stag lower.

use a mag block for unmodded sten mags.

has been 100% .only about 1k thru it.(only my reloads)

the price of mags is what sold me.

do need a loader for the thumb buster mags.

it's my fun plinker,no need for modded hammer or buffer.

just my $.02

clown
Old May 24, 2008, 10:10 AM   #7
David the Gnome

It sounds interesting but why exactly do you want a 9mm AR-15? I'd just get a 22LR upper or Ciener conversion kit if you want cheaper ammunition. Seems like for the cost you could just buy a real 9mm carbine, like the Beretta CX4 Storm.

Old May 24, 2008, 10:07 PM   #8
22_Shooter

Quote:
I hate to say it, but I really don't get the thing about only buying an upper or what ever for an AR... for the money it sure seems more practical to just get the whole thing.
Some people don't need a whole 'nother AR. They just want to be able to switch out calibers and use the same lower.

I don't know how buying a complete 9mm AR seems more practical than just a 9mm upper and other internals, when most complete 9mm's run about $1k.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:57 PM   #9
AMTMAGII

My Oly 9 runs fine without ever a hiccup. How everyone decided to get on Olys ass is not called for.
Old May 25, 2008, 03:18 PM   #10
Crosshair

I don't know anyone who swaps upper for anything other than 22 rimfire.
Old May 25, 2008, 04:02 PM   #11
VUPDblue

There's lots of ways to skin the 9mm AR cat. The Oly/Sten mag is one way, and the Colt pattern system is one way. There are also Glock mag rifles out there and there are blocks for the Colt system that allow use of cheap, unmodified, Uzi mags and blocks for unmodded sten mags. IMHO, the Colt system is the only way to go. That's the way I went, and I haven't ever regretted any of it. I prefer that route because, quite frankly, the modded Sten mags are extraordinarily ugly and unweildy with those adapters welded on. The sleek Colt mags are easy to maneuver and store and are purpose built. In going the Colt patten route, you would need to do a couple things to your existing lower. First, you would need to get a heavier buffer. The 9mm's are blowback operated and you will need a heavy buffer to avoid unnecessary wear on your rifle. You will also need to either get a 9mm hammer or get your 9mm bolt ramped. The best way is to get your bolt ramped to 5.56 bolt specs. This way you won't have to swap hammers and you won't be putting as much wear on your hammer pin. 9mm hammer pins are prone to breakage without a ramped bolt. Here is a pic of my 9mm SBR:
Old May 25, 2008, 04:32 PM   #12
Paochow

Quote:
Here is a pic of my 9mm SBR:
Looks great.

I have a Colt 6450 9mm, I snagged it up cheap right after the ban sunset. My only issue with it is the the Colt mags are a PITA to load. Takes a ton of effort to get those last few rounds in. Any pointers?

Here's my three Colts...
Old May 25, 2008, 05:30 PM   #13
VUPDblue

Quote:
Takes a ton of effort to get those last few rounds in. Any pointers?
Yeah, buy a Colt SMG LULA. You'll wonder how you ever got by without one.
Old May 26, 2008, 01:55 PM   #14
spoolup

I bought a RRA 9mm, I was going to do the converion idea, but after hearing a few issues of adjusting the mag well adapter, hammers and ramped bolts, I just said screw it. With the RRA out of box I have a few issues. But was quick and cheap to fix. First was the ejector had to be "tweaked" a bit so it rides closer to the bolt and allows for the face to hit more of the shell to kick it out harder. That fixed most the issues, then I had to do the 1/8"x3/4" roll pin from lowes. The RRA factory pin is to short and actually moves around the extractor causing a few hangs up. Since replacing this $0.40 part it has been great. I also went with KWS antiroll trigger pins due to the abuse they take on 9mm platforms. Now things are smooth. I have also owned a CX4 for 2 years now and it is my favorite gun. the fact that it ran out of box and has done so for well over 2k rounds, cant be beat. Plus the cost of the 9mm upper and lower conversion parts is higher than a CX4 40 and buds right now (550).But then the mag capacity is not as nice. There are drawback everywhere I seem to look, but I am happy with both of mine... now. However if I had to do it all over again, I probally would not get the RRA 9mm or any unique AR platform (223 7.5" pistol or the 9mm rifle). Yet I would do another CX4 without hesitation. But thats just me.

Old May 26, 2008, 02:35 PM   #15
Kermit

I've got a CMMG 9mm upper -- basically the Colt kit. I ended up building a dedicated lower for it & I'm glad I did. Tough to beat a 9mm carbine!
Old May 26, 2008, 02:56 PM   #16
tplumeri

Quote:
I have a Colt 6450 9mm
Me too. great gun but having trouble getting metal mags for it. any sources?
thanks
tom
Old May 26, 2008, 04:13 PM   #17
Paochow

I haven't seen the Colt mags for sale anywhere lately. I've seen that Cproducts is selling some...

http://www.cproductsllc.com/Merchant...egory_Code=9mm

Anyone have any experience with the CProducts 9mm mags?
Old May 26, 2008, 04:48 PM   #18
VUPDblue

I only run the CProducts mags now. They are 100% reliable and they are built like tanks. They are better than the older Colt mags in that they do not tend to 'brass fountain' if dropped. It's hard to beat an all stainless dedicated 9mm mag with a 32 round capacity.
Old May 26, 2008, 04:52 PM   #19
Paochow

Quote:
that they do not tend to 'brass fountain' if dropped

I've been there. Good to hear they work well, I think I'll order some up.
Old May 26, 2008, 04:57 PM   #20
tplumeri

the cproducts mags look good. heckuva lot cheaper than colt (if you can find them) and not much more than the plastic crap!
thanks!
tom
Old May 26, 2008, 05:27 PM   #21
spoolup

Those are Cproducts in the photo above of mine. Thumbs up to Larry
Old May 27, 2008, 02:49 PM   #22
Kraziken

Thanks for the tips.

I think I'll look at the Oly kit or just buying a full rifle. I like the idea of having multiple uppers for my AR that I can just swap out, but I don't want to have to toy with changing the internals if possible.
Old May 28, 2008, 12:36 AM   #23
Bogie

I'd get the Beretta or a Calico.

Why?

I've been looking for a 9mm conversion/upper at every Knob Creek since 2003...

If they don't have them flying off the tables, there's gotta be a reason.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!