The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 23, 2008, 02:10 AM   #1
AWMP

who makes most accurate off the shelf AR15 .223

Who makes the most accurate .223 off the shelf AR15? Bushmaster, COLT, Remington or ......
Wanting to use it for Varmit and possible long range target. Was looking at bolt action rifles but very familiar with AR platform and just weighing the pros and cons for each.
Old May 23, 2008, 05:01 AM   #2
gianelli280

there's a bunch of great manufacturers out there, and it can sometimes depend on who you ask...

How much $ are you willing to spend, and what specifications are you looking at...i.e. barrel length, trigger assy... etc.

i like stags... i've been saying that for a while i know, but they're relatively cheap, and out of the box mine was very accurate, still is. But thats for a 16'' pretty much bone stock rifle. But i have heard great things about bushmaster.. haven't really heard much about colts, but that was the rifle i was issued through the army and it shot pretty well, but managed to malfunction several times, (and of course during qualifications!!). And yes i kept it cleaner than my criminal record.

So are you looking for a standard-looking ar-15, or whatever is the most accurate?

If you want ultimate accuracy, you'll probably want to look in the lines of varminters. I've heard reports of 1/2 moa from fulton armory's predator line, as well as stag's super-varminter. But they've got massive heavy barrels on them, and are a little more expensive than a stock ar.
Old May 23, 2008, 05:33 AM   #3
AWMP

1200-1300 max, heard a lot about different varmiters, 20 barrel would not be bad
Old May 23, 2008, 08:31 AM   #4
wjkuleck

Fulton Armory FAR-15 Predator

Base Price 899.95
Expect under 1/2 MOA

Regards,

Walt
PS Yes, I'm with Fulton Armory...
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
Old May 23, 2008, 08:55 AM   #5
Houndog

I think there are a couple of Les Baer models that come with a guarantee that they will shoot 1/2" groups or better at 100 yards. But they are pretty pricey. I think Wilson Combat may also make a model with a similar guarantee.

Then there are a couple of small mfg. that specialize in competition guns.

Given your proposed use, I would look at 20" heavy stainless barrel varmit models. I know I'm going to get a lot of sh*t for this suggestion, but Olympic Arms does make some very accurate varmit models that are pretty reasonably priced - although the quality of the workmanship will not be up to the same standard as models offered by Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, Rock River Arms, or Les Baer.

Another alternative is to look at some of the Alexander Arms 6.5 grendel models, which will have better long range ballistics than a .223 and are very accurate. But both the guns and the ammo are pricey.

In bolt action, Savage and Tikka both have the reputation of making some real tack drivers.

Hope this helps.
Old May 23, 2008, 08:56 AM   #6
billindenver

I'll give a range report on my new Stag super varminter when it arrives this coming Wednesday. All of the reports I have read are glowing, but then there aren't that many reports out there....so we shall see. The fulton looks very much the same...except for that grip :barf:
Old May 23, 2008, 11:36 AM   #7
somerled

The most accurate, off-the-shelf AR-15? It is the one with the best barrel, of course. I have a DPMS upper assembly with a 16" bull barrel barren of a flash hider and chrome lining that groups between .5 to .75 inch at 100 yds. It has an aluminum, free-float tube and was within my budget. I'm happy with it.

I'd look for a 20 to 24-inch, free floated, bull barrel for the use you have in mind. You would also need some sort of trigger upgrade.

www.AR15.com is a good place to find more information.
Old May 23, 2008, 11:36 AM   #8
AWMP

I have several tell me first hand the Bushmaster Predator has preformed very well.
Sent several questions to Fulton via their web site.
The Grendel 6.5 is very impressive! Great ballistics and range. Curious why not more popular?
Old May 23, 2008, 11:45 AM   #9
thinkingman

I bought RockRiver Varminter and am very happy with factory ammo....77gr ammo always shoots under an inch...Not 'my best group was', but always under an inch.
the twist rate of the barrel and ammo you choose will influence how it shoots.
There are a million posts about this.
Search is your friend.
Old May 23, 2008, 01:02 PM   #10
wjkuleck

Quote:
It is the one with the best barrel, of course
Truer words were never spoken; that's why even our base rifles use Criterion by Krieger barrels, with real* Kriegers as upgrades.

You also need a good trigger to allow the rifle to perform as well as it can, which is why we install a hand-tuned trigger in all our rifles, and a two-stage one at that in the EBRs, Predators (yes, we were first with the name, now everybody uses it!), etc.

Regards,

Walt
*"Real" because some folks get blanks from Krieger & call them Krieger barrels.
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides