The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 18, 2016, 04:10 PM   #1
NickGroves

Savage 10 fcp damaging brass and projectile on chambering stroke.

So my savage 10 fcp has a problem with damaging brass and leaving some "chatter" marks in the projectile.

If i try and chamber a round from the magazine and go to fast the bullet will want to bind 3 out of 10 times and this is where i seem to be getting my damage. I just cant pinpoint the cause of this.

If i feed the rounds nice and slow they chamber just fine and only leave a very light witness on the projectile.

I can send the rifle back to savage and have them fix it under warranty... but thats probably going to be a 3-4week deal after shipping back and forth and the fix is complete.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix before i send off my rifle??
Old May 18, 2016, 05:00 PM   #2
mete

For warranty , send it back !
Old May 19, 2016, 02:34 AM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Staff

I would venture to say that the magazine is not guiding the cartridges correctly. If you have access to another magazine, try that first. If it is a bad magazine, I'd call Savage, and tell them that changing magazines fixed the problem, and ask for a new magazine. They'll probably want the old one back.

If it is not the magazine, it could be something causing the magazine to be misaligned in the well. You would want to send the gun back, for the warranty on that.
Old May 19, 2016, 09:16 AM   #4
g.willikers

Quote:
If i try and chamber a round from the magazine and go to fast the bullet will want to bind - If i feed the rounds nice and slow they chamber just fine
Just don't do that.
Why is it necessary to run the bolt quickly if not doing it cures the problem?
What's the rush?
(And what is meant by "fast" or "slow?")
Some of the very good bolt action operators use a less than speedy but deliberate chamber technique that includes a tactile check of the round going in the chamber.
Not slow, but not real fast, either.
Just a thought.

Last edited by g.willikers; May 19, 2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:07 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

A Savage 10 FCP isn't a battle rifle. It's really just a gussied up hunting rifle. Isn't built for speed. Mind you, a lot will depend on the ammo your using too.
By all means call Savage, but don't be surprised of they say the same thing. Your warrantee is only a year too.
Old May 19, 2016, 11:24 PM   #6
NickGroves

Dixie, that is kind of what i was thinking it was.. i watch the round come out of the magazine and it literally launches it up and out of the magazin. If i single feed and just lay a round infront of the bolt and go "fast" it loads up with zero issue. I tried to find a replacment mag today at cabelas but of course they were out of stock. I will try one before i send it off.

G.willikers, i should have been a little more clear on my speeds. Im not ripping the bolt open and trying to ram a new round home. When i say fast. But a normal pace. And slow... well thats wayyy to slow and the rifle should be fully operational at a normal speed.

T. O'Heir, i habe tried about 5 different factory ammo brands, and my handloads. All seam to suffer the same fate. If i cant figure it out with a simple magazine change it will go back to get looked at by them.