The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old May 5, 2008, 05:39 PM   #1
SavageMOA

Opinions on Boyd's rifle stocks

I have recently found out about Boyd's gun stocks and have found a gorgeous stock to fit on my Savage to replace the dreaded "tupperware". Has anyone had experience with their stocks? The particular model is 503-140 and can be found here http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/BrowseEbus/Varmintall.asp since the stock is NOT finished already (I can't afford the extra $100), how much trouble is it going to be to finish it to get it the way i want?
Old May 5, 2008, 05:58 PM   #2
JP Sarte

Boyd's

Boyd's does make good stocks but the last few months (six or so) they have been having a lot of problems meeting production targets and the wait is often as long as six months or better through mail order firms like Midway.

Also be prepared to "custom fit" your Boyd stock particularly on the Magnum calibers. The fit is hardly exact and does require a little work. You can order directly from Boyd's but you will likely pay about 20% more. I spoke with them recently and they told me that they charge more so as not to compete with companies that buy from them. True? I don't know. I just know it costs more to buy direct.

Otherwise the product is solid in my opinion.

JP
Old May 5, 2008, 06:06 PM   #3
arizona hunter

In 2006 I bought a Howa 1500 Varminter Supreme (204 ruger), it came with a Boyds "pepper" laminated thumbhole stock-it's and is super comfortable in the hands.
Old May 5, 2008, 06:17 PM   #4
onemsumba

they make pretty nice stocks, get the least finished/fit model you can and then do the extra sanding etc... to get it to custom fit your rifle.

I bought a VIP stock from them and wasn't that impressed with the out of box fit. Ended up having to pillar bed it. The rear screw hole was oblong and the trigger guard sunk in to the stock too far for my tastes.

Still much faster than richards microfit which takes 10+weeks to get you a stock and then its a ton of work to finish it up.

the amount of time / effort to finish the stock will be up to you and how much is good enough. you can do just a little or you can go crazy with ultra fine sandpaper and dozens of coats of finish.
Old May 5, 2008, 06:43 PM   #5
SavageMOA

Well the model I'm looking at is the VIP (the one that requires a little work). What i'm afraid of is getting it and not knowing what to do. I know very little about woodworking. My father might be able to help. My question is, if i order the VIP model, is the work simple enough to do? is it just tedious? or is it downright intricate woodworking?

I'm also interested in bedding the barrel to maximize accuracy. Is this difficult as well?
Old May 5, 2008, 07:16 PM   #6
JP Sarte

Boyd's

All that is really required is sandpaper and in the worst case some handtools. No big deal. I know of many who can bed a rifle with no trouble, but for me I would rather not chance it. I have heard bad stories. I would take it to a trusted gunsmith and have a professional job bedding job done on it.

JP
Old May 5, 2008, 07:34 PM   #7
SavageMOA

that's good. How much does a bedding job usually cost?
Old May 5, 2008, 07:51 PM   #8
HOGGHEAD

Boyd's-Richard's

I have two Boyd's stocks. They are both LH Thumbhole stock's for an Encore. Both are good high quality stocks that worked well. However if price is an issue and you can do some of the work---Have you looked at Richard's Microfit?? They are a good company, but they are a little slow. IMO Richard's prices are a bit better. You should check out their website. Below are pictures of the two stocks. The two laminate stocks are Boyd's, the Walnut stock is from Richard's. Tom.

Old May 5, 2008, 08:13 PM   #9
SavageMOA

that thumbhole from Richards looks really uncomfortable!
Old May 5, 2008, 08:19 PM   #10
SavageMOA

Well I did check out Richard's website. I found one I also really like that is supposedly completely ready to drop in, it just needs to be finished. It is $125. Given that the prices are almost identical, would you chose a Richard's or a Boyd's?
Old May 5, 2008, 08:21 PM   #11
HOGGHEAD

Uncomfortable??

Actually it is very comfortable. I find that I can shoot a thumbhole more accurately than I can shoot a regular stock. Especially in a hunting situation. The other thing I like about the Richard's TH is that you can grip their stock just like a regular rifle(not put your finger in the hole).

This is a heavy barreled rifle so I wanted a bit oversized stock. It is strictly a fixed position hunting rifle. I am a handicapped shooter so all my hunting is fixed position. Have you ever shot a TH stocked rifle?? If not then you really should at least try one. I know I am glad I did. Tom.
Old May 5, 2008, 08:30 PM   #12
SavageMOA

that's actually what I'm looking for! A thumbhole stock is specifically what i want. It's just the way that one looked that made it look uncomfortable. The stock will be fitted to my Savage 12FV in .223 and used for target shooting at long ranges. So do you like your Richards or Boyd's more Hog?
Old May 5, 2008, 08:37 PM   #13
HOGGHEAD

TH

I like them both. Richard's makes several different models of TH stocks. I really can not pick a winner between the two. The Encore in the picture is a 6.5X284 for long distance ground hogging(out to 600). I also have a 223 Remington, and 30-06 Encore. I can shoot them real well in a hunting situation. The Savage is a 300WSM for deer hunting only. I really like them both.

I did restock the Savage for the same reason you did. That factory stock is a POS. Tom.
Old May 5, 2008, 08:43 PM   #14
SavageMOA

Tom, first off I wanna thank you so much for your help and quick responses! My name's Will. I really like the fact that the Richard's stock is 99% fitted. Requiring little work for me (a HUGE plus). I'm falling for the Richards Wildcat TH and the Straightline TH. I can't tell if the Wildcat is more expensive than the straightline though.
Old May 5, 2008, 08:54 PM   #15
HOGGHEAD

Web site

Their web site is a bit difficult to manuever around in. And as I said they are a bit slow in shipping. But they do great work. I spoke to one fellow on another forum who said he has been to their factory. He said it was a real mess. But he also said the guy knew exactly where everything was. He said there was sawdust everywhere.

I have a new Richard's stock(still in the box) that I purchased for a LH Savage 22 magnum. I am getting ready to put this stock on the rifle(shortly). It is my next project(no pictures). I would not recommend one over the other. And I believe the Richard's will take more work to finish, but I also believe you are getting more from your money with Richard's. Check out their blem's. I know a couple of guys who bought the blems, and they were very happy with the results. Tom.
Old May 5, 2008, 09:13 PM   #16
SavageMOA

How long did it take you to get yours shipped to your door from the time you ordered it?

Will
Old May 5, 2008, 09:45 PM   #17
elkman06

Not sure if you are aware but Cabelas' sells a finished Boyd's thumbhole for the LA Savage for about 165.00. I bought one a while back and bedded my 300wm action and barrel. Made a very nice set up. I was pleased with the fit and finish of the stock with one exception. I didn't get a feel for how the top of the thumbhole area was built. It was flat, kinda like a aircraft carrier and was a little distracting to me.I recently got a Richards' microfit stock in the dual grip thumbhole. Much like you are doing, it is unfinished. It however is different than the Boyds in that you can grip it in the normal fashion, addressing the one thing I didn't like about the Boyds.Getting ahold of Richards took me two solid months of calling before I happened to get someone to answer the phone. They do not return emails or phone messages. I like the stock though and look forward to building it up for my O3A3. It is not a drop in fit though. It's about 95% which means just about every surface including the barrel channel will need hand fitting.
Good luck, I do like the look of the varminter.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old May 5, 2008, 10:09 PM   #18
SavageMOA

well they have the 96% finish which requires fitting and then they have the 99% finish, which is supposedly a "drop in" fit. I'm leaning towards the Wildcat TH stock. I'd order it from Cabella's if they had it for a short action Savage.
Old May 6, 2008, 07:28 AM   #19
SavageMOA

Also, what are the pro's and con's of a laminate stock?
Old July 22, 2008, 04:20 AM   #20
finalfant111

Answers to all ?'s

Hello everyone that has posted something here. If you have any questions ask me, I am a boyd's employee, I make the cuts for the barrel an things, and I'm work in finish room, if you got some thing you'd need to know let me know.
Old February 25, 2014, 03:24 PM   #21
randers

Boyd's gunstocks

Recently I decided to upgrade my model 60 marlin. I found Boyd's gunstock searching on line. I liked the look of the thumb hole stock. In my excitement to finally order the stock I ordered the wrong stock. no big deal just call or email and correct the order, right WRONG and that's when the nightmare started. I realized right away I made a mistake and tried to call 12 times and sent 4 emails. I never got to talk to anyone and no one returned my call. After trying all the prompts in the phone system someone answered. They told me that I would have to pay 15% more to get the stock I wanted. I told then I will net pay 15% more just cancel the order. So they did. I thought. The next morning I received a email stating that my stock had been shipped. I called again going to a completely unrelated department to speak to someone. They said they would call the order back but I would still have to pay the 15%. I finally said okay go ahead I'll just call the credit card company and tell them it's a bogus charge and have it removed. What a bunch of Morons. I'll keep the stock I have. I hope the stocks are better then the people running the place.
Old February 25, 2014, 10:53 PM   #22
tahoe2

finalfant111; I have two Boyd's, A RIA walnut on a Yugo mauser, and a Laminate Prairie Hunter on a Spanish small ring mauser.
I finished them both myself and they have held zero through all kinds weather and adverse conditions. I couldn't be happier and will have another project this coming year.
Boyd's will get the nod on that one too !!
Old February 26, 2014, 05:38 AM   #23
10-96

Tahoe- you do know finalfant111 made his one and only post almost 6 1/2 yrs ago?

But as long as we're on the subject- I too ordered a mil 1903 and a 1917 Enfield (Eddystone) stock from Boyds. The 1903 worked great, but the 1917 took heap big fitting. Not that I mind- lately it's been too rotten to do a whole lot outside, so a little stockwork doesn't bother me too awfully bad. Both stocks were just basic walnut with nothing special as far as grain or figure, but they look nice with no stain and basic rubbed in oil finish.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old February 26, 2014, 07:44 AM   #24
globemaster3

Necrothreading for a rant whereby someone admittedly ordered the wrong stock and is upset he has to pay more for the right stock....

Hey 10-96, you still seeing my old birds over there buzzing around?
Old February 26, 2014, 11:09 AM   #25
riche

Wow, reading all these negative posts I can hardly beleive we're thinking the same company. I have had nothing but great service from them, the stocks usually fit without no extra work ( my last one needed to have one bolt hole filed a little bit as the hole was drilled a little off ) but other than that, the actions all fit perfectly. I myself like the laminated, there stiffer and don't tend to warp, so they tend to be more accurate without bedding. And you can't beat the price for what you get.

Closed Thread