The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 1, 2008, 03:26 PM   #1
DPS42

Ruger Carbine .44 Magnum Caliber

Hey guys - I just got my dad's .44 magnum rifle but am having a really hard time finding a magazine that will work with it. I tried cheaperthandirt.com but the one they had didn't fit the gun. My gun has the numbers 93044 on the top of it. Can anyone tell me where I can buy a magazine that will fit my gun?
Old May 1, 2008, 04:06 PM   #2
wjkuleck

I believe you have the original Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine (originally called the "Deerslayer").

You can confirm that by referring to the Ruger manual for that arm:

If so, it does not have a detachable box magazine, rather a tubular magazine in the forearm.

If not, check the Ruger rifle parts booklets:

—to identify it. Perhaps if you have the correct model, you can find the correct magazine.

Regards,

Walt
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
Old May 1, 2008, 04:38 PM   #3
DPS42

Deerslayer

Yeah, I think you're right. It does hold some ammo in the forearm but the rifle manual you sent also suggests there is a 5 round magazine available for it. I am assuming it is an external magazine - maybe I am wrong?! Since the gun is out of production, I wondered if you might know where I can buy an original magazine?
Old May 1, 2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Mannlicher

The original Ruger .44 Carbine never did have a removable magazine, just the 5 rounds up the spout.
The new model Ruger Carbine uses a removable magazine, and I believe that is interchangable with the Ruger bolt action .44 rifle.
That magazine DOES NOT work with the original model.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 1, 2008, 05:06 PM   #5
wjkuleck

Quote:
suggests there is a 5 round magazine available for it
That's the fixed tubular magazine in the forestock. It is Part #C-103, in the exploded diagram on the last page.

Regards,

Walt
Old May 1, 2008, 05:09 PM   #6
DPS42

Thanks guys - the two of you have helped me considerably!
Old May 1, 2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Ruger4570

Your carbine is actually older than mine which has a serial # in the 96,000 range. As posted, it is an internal 5 shot tubular magazine and there are and never were external mags available for it.
You definatly have one of the near original models that at one time were called the "Deerstalker", not "Deerslayer". The name was close enough that Ithaca siued them for infringement of ther Model 37 shotgun named the Deerslayer and won.
Ruger gave up the Deerstalker name and went with the 44 Carbine logo. At some point it was redesigned to resemble the action on a M1 or M14 to some degree and the name was changed again and called the "Deerfield".
I have always liked mine even though it doesn't get a lot of use any longer. In the past I have had 100 yard groups (3 shots) in 1 1/2" with my handloads. Great gun, fun to shoot and quite good for game within its range capabilities.
Old May 1, 2008, 08:54 PM   #8
TPAW

Nice old rifle. Take good care of it and buy parts whenever you get the chance. Those oldies but goodies are hard to come by.
Old May 1, 2008, 09:29 PM   #9
wjkuleck

Quote:
At some point it was redesigned to resemble the action on a M1 or M14 to some degree and the name was changed again and called the "Deerfield".
It's also known as the Model 99/44, introduced in 1999. It's yet another "last Garand."

Best regards,

Walt
PS And thanks for the correction on the "Deerstalker" name...
Old May 1, 2008, 09:34 PM   #10
Ruger4570

No problem, in looking back I should have apologized to you for correcting your post and I didn't. My apologies. Hell, we all remember things different at times, Lord knows at my age.
Old May 1, 2008, 11:29 PM   #11
wjkuleck

No problem. Gosh, I'm a charter member of the RCA, I should know better !

Best regards,

Walt
Old May 2, 2008, 08:19 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

A friendly tip about your old Ruger 44 Carbine

My little brother had one of these in the later 1970s, and we played areound with it a bit. Here's the tip: DO NOT shoot lead bullets. Shoot only the jacketed stuff. Soft point or hollow point is ok, but stay away from the lead bullet pistol ammo. No cast bullets, and I would avoid swaged lead bullets as well.

The reason for this is the gas system. Lead and the lube used by lead bullets can build up in the gas system, clogging it so the rifle no longer functions as a semi auto, only a manual repeater (and when this happens it kicks a bit more too!). And it is a real pain to clean out. Some real bad cases had to go to a gunsmith or back to Ruger to get them working again. Just don't bother with lead bullets and the gun should run fine.
Old May 2, 2008, 10:10 PM   #13
Ruger4570

Ya, I think if I remember correctly the Ruger manual says,,, no cast or lead bullets. They are not impossible to clean up, just a REAL CHORE. Stick with jacketed and you will never have to mess with it.