The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 30, 2008, 12:09 AM   #1
ELMOUSMC

Coyote Attack(almost)

I went out early this morning,first time it hasn't rained or snowed in 2 weeks.One of my neighbors had a yearling calf drown in the creek that runs down our valley(swept into a flood gate) he had to drag it out for the insurance man to do a neacropscy on it.I set up on some round bales about 70 yds off and was using my Varmint Als El Cheapo call.The steer was already gutted and was get ripe so my scent was covered.It only took about 5 minutes and 2 yote's came at a dead run.I had my Hornet and at about 75 yds I fired at the 1 in the lead I pulled the shot and hit him in the neck(not fatality),Most times the sound of a gun shot puts them in afterburner and their gone these 2 turned right towards me and kept comming My Hornet is a single shot and I hadn't reloaded,I grabbed my Mossberg 20 Ga and a load of #4 buck took out 1 at about 15 yds the other 1 turned and at about 35 yds the Mossberg claimed him.I have hunted and called Song dogs for better than 10 years and have NEVER had anything like that happen before,I was in clear sight and they still came at me.All I can say is thank you Mossberg and Federal. ELMOUSMC
Old April 30, 2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Nekron

Cool story! Thanks for sharing. Good thing you thought to bring the shotgun along.
Old April 30, 2008, 11:24 AM   #3
tacticalmedic

Make sure you change your underpants. I know I would have to!
Old April 30, 2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Scorch

Oorah, Guns! Good work! The coyotes there are probably learning that a shot means dinner.
Taylor Machine
Old April 30, 2008, 12:27 PM   #5
Full-choke

I'm going to be brave enough to hunt with a single-shot rifle as well, but I have my best friend sitting there next to me with his 8mm Mauser that he so dearly loves.

Good thing for smart thinking and good nerves

F-C
Old April 30, 2008, 12:29 PM   #6
ZeSpectre

no plan survives contact with the enemy
Old April 30, 2008, 01:57 PM   #7
ELMOUSMC

I was talking to 1 of my gray beard friends about the coyote incident and his son was there ,he related this story.last winter during our black powder season he dropped a nice doe,while he was field dressing it 3 song dogs came within 20 yds of him and tried to bluff him off his kill.He said he never felt so helpless in his whole life an empty rifle and no back up(in Iowa it is illegal to carry a 2nd weapon during black powder season).He was able to get the doe loaded on his 4 wheeler and leave,he said he didn't get a 100 ft and they were fighting over the gut pile.Its a whole new day in the Iowa woodsGood hunting and be safe ELMOUSMC
Old April 30, 2008, 03:11 PM   #8
Malexander

Wow, that's kinda scary. Well done on some good shooting and glad you're okay.
Old April 30, 2008, 07:57 PM   #9
elkman06

Soooo, what's scary about a coyote? Got me baffled here. They will run away if you stood up.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old April 30, 2008, 08:19 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am in agreement with elkman... While a yote has the ability to raise my hackles... that is all! They are generally much more timid than a domestic breed. But if they chose to get punchy with me, they would be in a world of hurt.
Brent
Old April 30, 2008, 10:01 PM   #11
Lavid2002

Thought........

coyotes have a bite of 1500 PSI? No?
Old April 30, 2008, 10:46 PM   #12
roy reali

Close Call

Some years ago I was with my dog along a stretch of river that runs right through a major city. Their are quail is the brushy areas. I was practicing calling them. After ten minutes a coyote popped out of some brush about ten feet in front of us. It looked at me and my dog and quickly disappeared. I guess my quail calling fooled one critter. Shortly after that rumors were circulating about a mountain lion living in that area. I decided to practice my bird calling elsewhere. Fooling a lowly dog is one thing, but a large cat is another.
Old April 30, 2008, 10:54 PM   #13
rantingredneck

Quote:
Soooo, what's scary about a coyote? Got me baffled here. They will run away if you stood up.
elkman06
Reread his post, these two didn't.

2 years ago I shot one with my muzzleloader as I was walking back to my truck from my deer stand. I walked out of the treeline onto the field and the yote was sitting on its haunches about 40 yds away. It did not move, but sat there staring at me. I walked toward it (my truck was in that direction) expecting it to bolt. It did not. I recapped my muzzleloader and shot it.

I was not about to walk past it.

They are getting bolder around here too.
Old April 30, 2008, 11:07 PM   #14
ELMOUSMC

ELKMAN:Any where in my post did I Say that I was scared,on the contrary I reached for my shot gun and dispatched the threat.If 2 40 lb preditors don't give you a little rush when they turn towards you with their hackles up you are a better man than Iam ELMOUSMC
Old April 30, 2008, 11:13 PM   #15
ELMOUSMC

ELKMAN as I stated in my post I was in clear view standing up with my back against a round bale they were neither afraid nor did they run maybe Iowa coyote's are a little braver than the 1s where you are at ELMOUSMC
Old April 30, 2008, 11:35 PM   #16
roy reali

Check This Out

http://repositories.cdlib.org/cgi/vi...xt=anrrec/hrec
Old April 30, 2008, 11:49 PM   #17
jrothWA

First rule ofmuzzle-loaders...

always reload.

Coyotes are more use to humans than we give credit for. That's why you hearing of them in city centers and occasionally taking cats and chiwowow's
(can't spell the little mouse dog) out to dinner. Especially here in the Puget Sound area, and the loco's can't understand why the coyotes do this???
Old May 1, 2008, 07:14 PM   #18
jsteve

Last year we had a man and his dog attacked by a pack of coyotes while out walking in the woods not far from where I live near Savannah, GA. the mans dog killed one and he shot another before the rest took off.
Here is a ESPN news clip about a coyote attack.

New Jersey coyote shot and killed near where boy was attacked this week

Police shot and killed a coyote yesterday less than a mile from where a 5-year-old boy was attacked this week but cautioned that at least four song dogs were roaming nearby, the Associated Press reports out of Middletown, N.J.

It was not known whether the animal that was killed was the same one that bit Brayden Gazette as he and his sister were playing near their home on Monday.

"It's somewhat of a relief, but I'm still going to be watching out for my kids every minute," said the boy's mother, Joann Gazette. "Who knows how many more are out there? And how can anyone be sure if this is the one who bit my son?"

The animal was killed about three-quarters of a mile from her home, she said.

Police cornered the animal and chased it along a fence of the Earle Naval Weapons Station before shooting it with a .40-caliber handgun, said Township Administrator Robert Czech.

"It was apparently trying to find an access point back into the Navy property," he said.

Police spotted at least four other coyotes before the animal was killed, he said. Traps are still in place to capture other coyotes.

The coyote that was killed was a female that weighed about 35 pounds. The carcass was to be tested for rabies.

Brayden got 46 stitches in the back of the head and two rabies shots after a coyote bit him Monday, according to the AP.

Another boy, 22-month-old Liam Sadler, was grabbed by a coyote while playing near the naval station April 6. The toddler had to undergo rabies shots.
Old May 1, 2008, 09:14 PM   #19
mikejonestkd

Here in NY they have recently discovered that coyotes here have wolf DNA in them...I guess that explains why the NY/ VT coyotes get up to 60 pounds. One would be enough to send chills up my spine. Two or more would be a real problem....I know of a few smokepole hunters that have had similar encounters after harvesting a deer..
Old May 1, 2008, 10:31 PM   #20
mikenbarb

Wow, You guys gotta come to N.J. and hunt some dogs. Lots and lots of them here as reintroduced by the state(STUPID!) And noone hunts them serious and all they do is kill deer and turkeys nonstop. Theres a few of us that go and dont know how to hunt them that good and shot 9 during the season over electronic calls and fake gut piles. We only hunted 13 days and nights total and heard alot of them.(lost count) Our deer heard is taking a beating from them and theres gotta be a better way to get em because their almost domesticated and stupid as a rock. The downfall is that we cant use rifles and only 12ga. with t size max. Any suggestions??? Oh, And no legholds either.
Old May 1, 2008, 10:52 PM   #21
elkman06

Elmousmc...
Okay,, sorry man. Caught me off guard, your demeanor in the post suggested that you were scared, The subsequent posts triggered affirmation in it.
Anyway, it's hard to picture a coyote being that aggressive and I will admit that it may be different in more suburban settings where the tree huggers and life in general have allowed their populations to swell since hardly anyone hunts them like out here. I would say a solid third or more of the people driving our roads out here are carrying a rifle of sorts and will use it as quickly as possible.. If you want to see something fast, just start stepping on your brakes, coyotes blast off.
Again, notice. I apologized.
elkman06

Old May 1, 2008, 11:20 PM   #22
ELMOUSMC

ELKMAN: No apology was necessary I was just stating that in many years of hunting song Dogs I have never had them react like that to a gunshot or a Human in plain sight and close proximity.As you said in most case's the mere scent of humans sends them into the next county.They had decomposed enough that the state DNR would not do a test for rabies.Their over all appearence was of healthy male animals,they were in the process of shedding their winter coats.no mange and only a few ticks and no noticable injurys other than the Hornet wound and a lot of #4 buck holes.I just hope this was an isolated case and not the norm.This area is mostly rural,but there is a housing development about 3 miles east of here and IMHO They are spending alot of their time in and around that area and have lost their natural fear of humans Good luck and good shooting ELMOUSMC
Old May 2, 2008, 02:30 PM   #23
castnblast

The scary thing about song dogs with that type of aggression is they may be rabid. That is something to be scared of.
Old May 2, 2008, 03:37 PM   #24
ELMOUSMC

New information,VERY unsetteling

One of my friends has a landscaping business and has several customers in the upscale housing development East of here.These are large homes and sit on acre or better lots.During the winter he does snow removable and on more than 1 occasion he has seen residents taking food to the woods surrounding the area to "to feed the poor things" that sure clears up a lot of questions I had about the odd behaivor of the 2 song dogs I encountered.ELKMAN you gotta love those tree huggers.Maybe when little fluffy or fido come up missing they relize what they have created but I doubt it! I just hope no little kid turns into a snack I hope what went on in New Jersey dosen't happen here ELMOUSMC
Old May 2, 2008, 04:21 PM   #25
elkman06

Elmousmc,, Much like the cute and fuzzy bunniiiiis er I mean wolves that the Feds shoved up our cute and fuzzy a@@@es out here in Wyo. The tree huggers are turning inside out that they are now sitting squarely in the crosshairs of a lot of people now that they are off of the endangered species list. LOL
elkman06